Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Diffrence in accuracy between G17 and G34

TonyT

The G17 seems to shoot flatter to me. I figure it's probably the extra length of the slide on the G34 giving the appearance of the front sight rising higher. I just about have to have a DOH if I'm shooting the G34. The draw seems a bit awkward from a regular belt holster, probably just need more practice. They both shoot better than I do. There is more sight radius on the G34 for long or tight shots. Right now though, I'm playing with Warren sights with the wide notches. With "race" rear notches like that, I'm not sure the extra sight radius does much for you since it's such a loose sight picture anyway. Maybe that's just me.

Surprised Flex hasn't stopped by yet. I'll say it for him. "Pick one and practice." :roflol:

I doubt that the average shooter is as accurate than the gun when shooting from a bench. So, it's probably less a question of whether a G34 is more accurate than a G17 than it is of whether a given person can shoot one better than the other.

FWIW, I bought a G35 knowing full well that I might never be able to shoot it better than a G22. But it "feels" better so I believe I shoot it better - or at least that's the argument I used to convince myself to spend the extra money.

The G17 seems to shoot flatter to me. I figure it's probably the extra length of the slide on the G34 giving the appearance of the front sight rising higher. I just about have to have a DOH if I'm shooting the G34. The draw seems a bit awkward from a regular belt holster, probably just need more practice. They both shoot better than I do. There is more sight radius on the G34 for long or tight shots. Right now though, I'm playing with Warren sights with the wide notches. With "race" rear notches like that, I'm not sure the extra sight radius does much for you since it's such a loose sight picture anyway. Maybe that's just me.

Surprised Flex hasn't stopped by yet. I'll say it for him. "Pick one and practice." :roflol:

I'm using a Blackhawk CQC (not Serpa) for my 17 and 35. 35 is the 40 cal version of the 34.

Check out the Warren/Savigny Carry Sights, that's what's on my 17.

I doubt that the average shooter is as accurate than the gun when shooting from a bench. So, it's probably less a question of whether a G34 is more accurate than a G17 than it is of whether a given person can shoot one better than the other.

+1

I have heard this G17 vs. G34 controversy come up before at my range. I know people who swear by the G34. However I also know several shooter's who started out with a G17, moved up to the G34, and then switched back again. I think any difference in accuracy for action type shooting is minimal at best and it does come down to which of these pistols works best for you.

Accuracy difference...slim to none in my experience. Longer sight distance helps on the G34, but I'd bet the G17 may draw and point a little quicker. May run each in alternate steel matches sometime just to see.

Curtis

I thought one advantage of the G34 was the increased mass to dampen recoil and speed recovery. This would seem especiallly true when shooting minor in production,

Glock 34

WEIGHT

650 g / 22.92 oz.

Glock 17

WEIGHT

625 g / 22.04 oz.

Not that much difference. I doubt that the extra .88 ounces does anything to help with recoil. It does balance in the hand differently though, which may translate to better control for some. It's probably more of a mental thing. If you think it will help, it just might. Still not sure how much difference the sight radius makes. I guess I'm just gonna have to do some 50 yard tests.

I think all the weight difference is in the longer barrel. My understanding is that the slide cut out was done specifically to keep the reciprocating mass of the slide the same for both models (17 and 34) so that the recoil spring assembly could be the same.

If there's a difference in recoil impulse, then the extra bbl weight hanging off the front end probably accounts for most of it.

I think mechanically the shorter Glocks are more accurate than the longer ones, some of the baby Glocks will turn in groups that are just silly small if you have the sights, vision and patience to find out. I think a lot of it has to do with spring rates and dwell time before unlock, the shorter guns have heavier springs and stay locked longer. How much practical accuracy difference is there? The longer guns are easier to shoot accurately and seem easier to use the mechanical accuracy they provide, for match shooting the 34 length guns are probably the ticket over the shorter guns.

I think it all depends on the gun. Their tolerances are so wide that you might get one that will shoot an inch and 25, or 6 inches at 15.

I shot a 599 in PPC with a stock glock 34. They can be quite accurate.

Which PPC course 50 ft ?

Tom

I think it all depends on the gun. Their tolerances are so wide that you might get one that will shoot an inch and 25, or 6 inches at 15.

I shot a 599 in PPC with a stock glock 34. They can be quite accurate.

Which PPC course 50 ft ?

Yep. Indoor winter league.

I recently sold/traded a G17 that would go under an inch at 25 yards with UMC 115 FMJ factory loads, well under an inch if the shooter is capable. A couple days ago I was sighting in a rifle and shot a buddy's G34 at 50 yards, it went about 5" with really bad light (sun setting from the side) and fiber optic front and rear sights that mess with my eyes. Had no problem keeping them on an Metric target at 100 yards with it either freestyle. At 25 yards I know his baby 40 is more accurate than this G34, and the baby 9 is even better.

On a more serious note - my wife's shooting has improved greatly since I put her G34 in the safe and gave her a G17 with a plain black front sight. I find it a little easier to call my shots with a G34/35 than with a G17/22.