Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

09 MGM Ironman

RS,

I just want to echo what BerKim says about the Bonus LR targets...I timed Matt Berkett 2 years ago (shooting a very expensive $4.000+ rifle) and counting his time on the rifle and hits he only gained 11 seconds overall. This is counting the time he had to get into a good position squeeze off a round, reload shoot and so on...and no, he didn't hit the targets 100% of the time . I didn't bring a LR rifle and just blasted the 10 rounds off in the general direction as fast as I could...no waisted time so Matt gained what? Now if you really enjoy shooting the LR stuff then enjoy:-)

PS: If you really want to shoot the same targets after the match is over, I bet Travis Gibson will let you. It is fun to hit something that far away with a 77 grain bullet. My drop is about 80 inches! I know, I must just imagine a rainbow!

Now I would bring some heavy bullets, 68 or heavier, for the "Normal" LR targets (even though the 55 might do the trick) to help combat the winds. Sometimes the wind will kick some serious butt!

Hope this helps,

RLTW,

Scott

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RS,

I just want to echo what BerKim says about the Bonus LR targets...I timed Matt Berkett 2 years ago (shooting a very expensive $4.000+ rifle) and counting his time on the rifle and hits he only gained 11 seconds overall. This is counting the time he had to get into a good position squeeze off a round, reload shoot and so on...and no, he didn't hit the targets 100% of the time . I didn't bring a LR rifle and just blasted the 10 rounds off in the general direction as fast as I could...no waisted time so Matt gained what? Now if you really enjoy shooting the LR stuff then enjoy:-)

PS: If you really want to shoot the same targets after the match is over, I bet Travis Gibson will let you. It is fun to hit something that far away with a 77 grain bullet. My drop is about 80 inches! I know, I must just imagine a rainbow!

Now I would bring some heavy bullets, 68 or heavier, for the "Normal" LR targets (even though the 55 might do the trick) to help combat the winds. Sometimes the wind will kick some serious butt!

Hope this helps,

RLTW,

Scott

Last year sucked because of the wind but I still managed to get the most of the bonuses. Every bonus second counts..

The year before you had 30 seconds to make your long range hits before the timer started I got all my hits with a DPMS lr308 and was moving to the AR when the timer started. You have to look at it and make the decision for your self.

Can you still shoot your gun after holding your breath for 5 min. :)

Scott

Match is a month out...still time for getting on an exercise routine. Amazing how much difference 30 minutes on a bike 5 days a week makes for this match. I just got an elliptical set up instead of the bike I've been using for the past few weeks. While I'm not the picture of fitness, it certainly helps me not feel like I'm going to die in the middle of a stage.

I'm doing cardio twice a day. 25 minutes of running (2.5 miles) in the morning and 60 minutes on the stair climber after work.

You guys are really freaking me out. This will be my first Ironman and I've just been doing long walks after work, and eating right so I can drop a few pounds before the match. Oh well I guess the ID tag on my range bag will double as a toe tag.

You guys are really freaking me out. This will be my first Ironman and I've just been doing long walks after work, and eating right so I can drop a few pounds before the match. Oh well I guess the ID tag on my range bag will double as a toe tag.

"Long walks".......now thats funny..!!!!!!

You'll do long walks just paste'n targets and setting steel.........You better start run'n man.........

Remember the "Rented Mule" part of the app..???..........They aint kid'n..!!!!!

I have been watching my diet too. I cut back to one egg mcmuffin meal for breakfast. I'm feeling faster already!

Adios,

TG

I'm doing cardio twice a day. 25 minutes of running (2.5 miles) in the morning and 60 minutes on the stair climber after work.

Chris.. stop this right now. You're already too much faster than the rest of us.. if you make the rest of your squad look bad.. you'll have a long walk home..

I have been watching my diet too. I cut back to one egg mcmuffin meal for breakfast. I'm feeling faster already!

Adios,

TG

Travis . . does that mean that I should not cook up the 10lbs of Basque chorizo that I brought back from Elko????

ok just because Lee made a joke about me needing a walker after the 500yard rifle stage last week I will start to put a program in place to get in better shape (not Round) not to get faster. . but to be fit enough not to vapor lock on a long stage

now i'll go and start to put my long range rifle back together . . thanks for the loan of the scope Sterling!

I've been training hard this year, I have been climbing the stairs at my house has many at 2 times per day... :surprise:

Predictions for the match....

I predict I will cramp-up and possibly throw-up. Have the jumper cables at the ready for me please.. :sick:

Training has been ramped up in preparation for the match! Today's workout went as follows:

After some stretching and a little warm up I put the 45lb weight vest on and walked on the treadmill

for 1/2 mile at a pace of 4.5 mph. Five minute break. Jumped on the elliptical machine for a distance of

1.5 miles at a pace of 6.2 mph. Five minute break. Moved to the leg press machine for 5 sets of 10 reps

at 150 lbs (still with the vest on). Five minute break. Moved to the spin cycle and rode it for 15 minutes

with very little tension and at a fast pace. Five minute cool down.

Tomorrow morning I will hit some chest and tri's with a 15 minute spin on the elliptical.

In the afternoon I will repeat today's workout.

Wednesday take off.

Thursday/Friday repeat the routine.

Saturday/Sunday off.

Several times during the workout my heart rate peaked around 152. Something I'm keeping a close eye on.

Here's a pic of the vest. Something that we use to test with in preparation for fire season.

post-787-1242108758_thumb.jpg

If any of you are sticking around for the Area 1 USPSA match, here is something to do on one of your off days.

Adios,

Travis

mgmtargets.com

208-454-0555

Sent: Monday, May 11, 2009 10:54 PM

To: 'Mike Wirth'

Subject: Area 1 2009 - Utah Concealed Carry Permit Class Offering

Hello fellow shooters!

I am excited to announce that Neil Goodfellow, a member of the Parma Rod and Gun Club will be offering several Utah Concealed Carry Classes prior to and during Area 1 2009 at the range.

I have attached the information and application for the classes.

Please contact Neill Goodfellow with all questions, inquiries, and registrations.

His information is:

Neill Goodfellow

8156 North Pennsylvania

Fruitland, ID 83619

Email: njg308@fmtc.com

Phone: 541.212.2882

Thanks,

Mike Wirth

Secretary/Registrar Area 1 2009

208-850-7097

Utah_Concealed_Carry_Class___Area_1_2009.pdf

Edited by tgibson

Adios,

TG

Speaking of breakfast..is breakfast going to be available at the range this year?

Scott

I've been training hard this year, I have been climbing the stairs at my house has many at 2 times per day... :surprise:

Predictions for the match....

I predict I will cramp-up and possibly throw-up. Have the jumper cables at the ready for me please.. :sick:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

i can see right now i have to do this match at some point! i'll add it to my retirement matches for next year...

Adios,

TG

Speaking of breakfast..is breakfast going to be available at the range this year?

Scott

IT IS!! Good stuff too...if your into bacon and eggs!!

Adios,

TG

Adios,

TG

Scott

Adios,

TG

Travis,

I just dont think your match attracts much of the tofu and bean sprout crowd...... :roflol:

Adios,

TG

Scott

Adios,

TG

Travis,

I just dont think your match attracts much of the tofu and bean sprout crowd...... :roflol:

I think you are right!!

Adios,

TG

Looking for some AR Mags? Here you go. Let me know if you are interested.

Adios,

Travis

mgmtargets.com

208-454-0555

Sent: Tuesday, May 12, 2009 4:26 PM

To: Travis Gibson

Subject: Brownells AR 15 Mags

ALL! We are looking at putting an order together for AR15 Mags, from Brownells. Brownells has recently been awarded a 3 year contract for mags (like 1.5 million mags) for the military. They have far exceeded the quality and testing standards for MilSpec magazines, and these are available to US! If you have any interest, they will be $120 for 10, in lots of 10, payable now and delivered at the Ironman. Send an e-mail if you are interested, and if enough folks want more magazines, we'll get the order placed. Thanks,mg

Getting ready for my fourth IM. 06 IM was first three gun! Completely spoiled after that.

I am shooting Trooper class this year and having problems finding parts to build an open shotgun. I am looking for speedloaders, and the bracket that accompanies them. I can't seem to find a place on the web that has them readily available. Any thoughts or ideas where to look would be very much appreciated.

This is video to the "Rolling Thunder" match we Montana boys shoot to get ready for the now defunct truck stage.

• 2 weeks later...