Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

09 MGM Ironman

I have 115 grain 9mm minor and 200 grain .40 S&W major loaded up. The mag capacities of the pistols are pretty much the same. 22(?) rd 5" SVI or G34 in 9MM vs. 22 rd 6" Para in .40S&W? I'm shooting in Tactical Scope.

Given the amount of steel, how hard the steel is to knock down, how much paper there are relative to steel, the fact that I will have to lug the bullets and gun around the stage, etc. Which caliber/gun should I use for this match?

Thanks.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RS;

I agree with BerKim...9mm is/was the choice last year but I still like my heavy .40 for the double swingers! If you have never shot the double swinger then please by all means if you want to get serious, beg, borrow or buy one and practice. This target has kicked many a new shooter at the MGM. All other steel is easy with a 9mm and there is paper galore so you have to ask yourself, do you feel lucky?

Now if you are counting on a 21/22 .40 round S_I magazine in limited I would caution on the side of...well caution. A highly tuned pistol magazine/gun is not easy to use at the MGM Iron-Man. To bad your 6 inch wasn't a 9mm:-) I shoot a 23 round 9mm from an STI Edge and I clean all magazines just to insure they run. At no other match do I do this! A normal round count for pistol on any stage is approx. 30 rounds...meaning don't let magazine capacity rule the roost.

If I had to carry all my ammo (Trooper) I would carry the 9mm just because of light weight and volume.

Again, just my .02.

Hope this helps,

RLTW,

Scott

yup.. The double swinger is the only thing to watch for, cause it's extra penalties.. reloading one more time just isn't that important, because you have so much more time.

Don't know if last year was an anomaly or not.. but the only double swinger for pistol was last year was on the golf cart stage I think?

I know 2007 - I couldn't swing it, last year.. no issues

I have 115 grain 9mm minor and 200 grain .40 S&W major loaded up. The mag capacities of the pistols are pretty much the same. 22(?) rd 5" SVI or G34 in 9MM vs. 22 rd 6" Para in .40S&W? I'm shooting in Tactical Scope.

Given the amount of steel, how hard the steel is to knock down, how much paper there are relative to steel, the fact that I will have to lug the bullets and gun around the stage, etc. Which caliber/gun should I use for this match?

Thanks.

Shoot the G34, Glock has been kind enough to raffle a gun off to shooters who shoot the whole match with a Glock.

Those double swingers are tough, but it is all about timing.

• 2 weeks later...

Well folks, we are only about 97 days away from the Ironman! Are you getting ready!?!?! Applications are coming in daily now, and so I'm sure it won't be long before things fill up. I have attached an entry form for your convenience. I apologize for not sending out confirmations once we received your entry forms. I have been traveling for the last couple of months, but plan on being in town for the most part from now until the match so we'll try to stay on top of that a little better.

Once again, we plan on having a great line up of sponsors for this match. Ty Mabry offered to act as the Sponsorship Coordinator is doing a great job so tell him thanks when you see him. If I forgot anyone, please accept my apologies. I am just getting back into the swing of things. (Ty, If I forgot anyone, let me know so I can get them added!! ; ) ) Some of the sponsors who have already agreed to sign up again are:

DPMS and Cavalry Arms will both be participating at the Major Match Sponsor Level!!

Glock who will be giving away at least two guns as well as sponsoring the side match with Center of Mass

Center of Mass who has stepped up as a stage sponsor

Patriot Ordinance Factory

Tactical Solutions

Primary Weapons Systems

BUSHMASTER!!! Yes!! Bushmaster!!

Warne Scope Mounts

Blackhawk

Leupold

Crimson Trace Laser Grips

ESS

Eberlestock

Burkett Video

Let me know if you have any questions and get ready!!!

Adios,

TG

Official_Entry_Form2009.doc

Edited by tgibson

Howdy all!! We are trying something new this year. We have posted the squds on our website here We will update this once a week (try to anyway) usually on Monday, so you will know who you are shooting with. There is some color coding going on there that will help you decipher who asked to shoot with who and other things. Here is how it works:

• If the numbered cell next to your name is filled in with RED, you are signed up and have paid in full
  • If your name is highlighted with the same color as other shooters in that squad, they have asked to shoot with you, or vice versus.
  • If your name is not highlighted, you have not asked to be squdded with anyone.

If you don't see your name on this list, and you have sent in your registration, please send me a quick note. I think there is only one of you and we traded e mails earlier. As you can see, there are a lot of people who have requested to shoot with other people, but the other people have not signed up yet. Tell your buddies to hurry up!! We are getting a couple of entry forms every day now, so it won't be long before it is filled up. Let me know if you need any changes!

Adios,

TG

• 3 weeks later...

Read the rules. What is the capacity on Tactical shotguns? The rule for the normal "8+1 at the start ... and load it to whatever after" has been crossed out.

And just wanted to confirm... for Scoped Tactical class are double stack pistols (not used as the "Open" gun that's allowed in Tactical) limited to 140MM? The rules currently say 140MM but another shooter says otherwise.

Thanks.

Is there any update on the round count? Travis are you there?

I AM!! Just barely though!! : ) I have been traveling for the last week. Sorry for the delay.

Update:

I am still working on the COF's but am still hopeful to have them all completed by the first of May. Right now, it is looking like we are going to be in the 350 range for each of the three guns and about 75 slugs. This is just an estimate so don't quote me on this. I'll get the numbers together as soon as I can.

Nickle plated buck should be fine.

Tactical shot gun. Load as many as will fit, but no speed loaders or magazines.

140mm on the pistol mags is correct.

I really want to make sure everyone gets all of the information they need, but if you want an answer right now, you should just send an e mail to my normal address. travis@mgmtargets.com

Adios,

TG

Also will we need slings? If so can I get by with one and switch it between guns? Or will I need two?

Gordon,

Bring everything you can think of, slings, sand bags, a tray for staging ammo. Whatever you need "out side the box" of your typical match. Or, borrow it from someone on your squad (spread the wealth)......Most things are a "Go" at this match.......

Also will we need slings? If so can I get by with one and switch it between guns? Or will I need two?

Gordon,

Bring everything you can think of, slings, sand bags, a tray for staging ammo. Whatever you need "out side the box" of your typical match. Or, borrow it from someone on your squad (spread the wealth)......Most things are a "Go" at this match.......

Thats why I have you Dan.....bring the whole garage with you :goof:

Hey Everyone! The match is starting to fill up really fast lately and we only have 30 spots left. If you haven't got your entry forms in yet, you should. We have already had to start bumping non-paid shooters to accomodate paying shooters squad requests. Let me know if you have any questions.

Adios,

TG

TG Any word on round counts for each weapon and load? I'll find Jimmy Hoffa before I can find some 68gr Black Hills 223 ammo.

The stages are coming together nicely. I hope to have them completed in the next couple of weeks. If you figured on 300 rifle, pistol and shot, and 100 slugs you should be safe. Probably wouldn't hurt to have 25 rounds of buck too. If I can get the stages out earlier I will. Hope this helps.

Adios

TG

TG

Any word on round counts for each weapon and load?

I'll find Jimmy Hoffa before I can find some 68gr Black Hills 223 ammo.

I have a quantity of Black Hills 68 gr. give me til Saturday to look it up and I will get back in touch.

1Chota