Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

easiest pump shotgun to reload

itchy

Hi,

Trying to figure out which pump shotgun is the easiest to reload, Benelli Nova, Mossberg 590, or the Remington 870. I borrowed an 870 in a match and had serious loading issues. I ended up borrowing a different 870 to shoot a different stage and had no problems, but that first incident left a bad taste in my mouth.

Thanks,

Seiichi

I have not tried a mossberg or remington ,but i do know that my Nova is alot more easy to load then my benelli M1 ,and the winchester 1300.

The loading gate of the nova is huge compared to most shotguns ,the downside is that the stroke you make is a bit longer compared to the Winchester 1300 (a friend of mine has one)

I agree the Mossberg 590 is easy to load. At a local HM match recently I shared my 590 with a guy who forgot his 870. His first coment after his first stage with it was "man, that thing is easy to load".

I have not tried the Nova so have no comparison to it.

I own a 590, and yes, it is a very easy loader. Even with 12 gauge rounds I was grabing 6 rounds and loading 6. No gate to get inthe way. However, the Nova's loading gate acts more like a funnel, once you push it down, it stays down. I've not had experience comparing the 2, but i would say one or the other has the potential to be one of the fastest loading pump's out there.

Tim

Thanks for all the help. I suspected it was race between the 590 and the Nova. I had read that the 590 had no gate, but I was leaning towards the Nova. So my M1 could have a cousin to hang out with.

I'm assuming that the SuperNova is the one to get since it a more adjustable stock than the plain Nova.

Thanks,

Seiichi

Hi,

Trying to figure out which pump shotgun is the easiest to reload, Benelli Nova, Mossberg 590, or the Remington 870. I borrowed an 870 in a match and had serious loading issues. I ended up borrowing a different 870 to shoot a different stage and had no problems, but that first incident left a bad taste in my mouth.

Thanks,

Seiichi

I use a Mossberg 500A on which there also is no gate. I saw a bad jam happen to a guy with an 870 about 8 months ago- first time I'd seen any shotgun jam. After seeing that and reading your post I don't think I'd recommend one.

+1 On the Supernova, once the lifter is in the up position it stays up & helps to funnel the rounds in, the huge port is hard to miss, I load 4 weak handed & its way faster than other guns I have used.

I have to have a 24" barrel by law & a Nordic +5 tube is flush with the barrel, with this I have fitted a standard Browning gold spring, its a very soft spring & yet the gun still works great, Its ease of loading helped me win the British Championship in our pump division this year so Im very happy with it.

Also the Supernova has the comfortec stock which I like a lot.

N

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

It comes down to wheather you get "fumble fingers" at speed. I watched a guy drop a half a dozen rounds at CMMG last year using a Nova on Stage 8 Anyway, if you are prone to fumblefingers, the 590 is more positive. If you have talented fingers, OTOH, maybe the Nova would work. I run a 590, so I am biased, but I chose it over an 870 because of the carrier. At the time, some friends [all 870 guys] harassed me about it...until I started whooping on them when reloads were required....

Having loaded all of them, I can say without a doubt. NOVA loads easiest...bar none! It goes something like this,

870 hard to load fast, needs LOTS of work to make it mediocre!

500/590 MUCH better than 870, but it could use a bit of dremel work and the end of the tube is WAY too square.

Nova/Supernova about 1/3-1/5 better yet than a 500/590, BUT with a bit of sanding on the tube end, NOTHING in the world loads faster, and that includes ALL shotguns even the Beloved M1-M2s. Novas are hands down the easiest to load!

As for fumbly fingers, it has nothing to do with the gun. You either have practiced loading your shotgun enough or you have not! Yes some guns requier more concentration to load well ( due to bad port/loading area/end of tube ), but dropping shells...well you know! I have seen arm band loader guys drop tons of shells, and they have the gun turned over with the port up! Heck I have even seen guys drop all their shell, before they even tried to reload! :roflol: KurtM