Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wonder if shooting indoors makes that number grow.

If they tell you to stop sucking your thumb tell 'em you'll need to replace that with beer. :P

Either way, fix it.

I think it has to do with spending 3-5 times a week in some cases 2-3 hrs shooting. Also, reloading practices and gun cleaning hygiene need to be looked into. I'm also starting C and calcium. I smoke too, so that can account for a great deal of the problem. I'm working on the smoking thing too.

J

I solved my lead(much lower that yours) by staying of the indoor ranges. Off course I then had to take a job where I get to spend most of my day on a indoor range.

Note to self, check the lead levels again, they are probably way up again.

Your lead levels are way up there at the stage where you may sustain permanent injury. My advice to you would be to do something drastic and to do it now, before it is too late.

Edited by Johann the Horrible

I solved my lead(much lower that yours) by staying of the indoor ranges. Off course I then had to take a job where I get to spend most of my day on a indoor range.

Note to self, check the lead levels again, they are probably way up again.

Your lead levels are way up there at the stage where you may sustain permanent injury. My advice to you would be to do something drastic and to do it now, before it is too late.

I already had bought a respirator that is rated for lead... I'm going to use latex gloves too and pitch them after every session. Also am going to change loading and cleaning procedures as well hitting the shower right after the range instead of the bar. I'm not sure how much is gun related and how much is work related too... I deal with lead solder all the time, so I'm going to have to mask and glove up there too. I might even get some of those little paper jump suits like the hazmat guys wear and put in a plastic bag and trash it once a week. That should keep a lotoff my clothes and keep me from bring it home. Also need to rethink shoes practices. Damn... this is going to be a pain, but it has to be done. You know what clued me in was my BP had climbed up a bit and I hadn't changed anything else in my life, so I went looking for causes. I read where high lead count can raise it... a bell went off and I got tested... sure enough.

My count came back at 18 two months ago. I am scheduled to be tested again in a month. I think a lot of my problem is picking up brass and shooting indoors.

I quit smoking last April, so this March I plan to join a club so I can practice outdoors. I smoked for 25 years and I do not miss it at all.

Crap J I hope you get it down ok. I just had a physical on Tuesday and had my blood drawn today. They are checking the lead count also at my request. At first the my doctor didn't think it was necesary but I insisted it be checked and he gave in. I also need to quit smoking as on my last lung function test showed I have very early stages of emphysema.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Use Dlead wipes, soap, and spray when you finish shooting.

NEVER eat, drink, dip, or smoke while still shooting or before de-leading.

Immediately change your clothes and toss your worn ones in the washer. Better yet, have extra clothes when you are finished shooting but still at the range.

If loading bare lead bullets, wear gloves.

ALWAYS wear a mask when shooting indoors!!

The following are the steps that I took to bring my number DRAMATICALLY down.

I tested at 27 in February. Have been shooting a lot less indoors, wearing an N35 mask most of the time when I do shoot indoors and wearing rubber gloves when handling dirty brass or reloading cast bullets. I'll get tested again soon, hopefully it'll be down.

You'll be fine, now that you know there's a problem. I know guys whose count got over 50 and they had no ill effects.

I tested at 27 in February. Have been shooting a lot less indoors, wearing an N35 mask most of the time when I do shoot indoors and wearing rubber gloves when handling dirty brass or reloading cast bullets. I'll get tested again soon, hopefully it'll be down.

You'll be fine, now that you know there's a problem. I know guys whose count got over 50 and they had no ill effects.

Thing is I was getting some and that's why I got tested. :(

Let me know what your level is please... you are taking much the same approach as I am. If it doesn't drop a bunch i will have to cut way back on shooting. Whaaaaa!!!

• 2 months later...

37! Damn I've got to stop picking my gum up off the indoor range floor.

All jokes aside, I've got to get this down quite a bit. I'm going to tighten up on washing my hands, wearing gloves when reloading lead bullets, cut down on indoor range time, those sorts of things. My doctor looked at me a little funny when I told him to order a lead test. I told him when he called with the results that I was right to order the test. "Uhh ya, that's kind of why I did it, doc."

I started getting low dull pain headaches all the time. Lead test came back at 21. Was shooting a lot at an indoor range with questionable air circulation. I have stopped shooting at that range since then. I was tested before deploying, but don't know the exact results. It's gotta be below 9 or they would have contacted me for more fricken paperwork. You cannot believe how fast the AF wanted to cover their ass over OSHA etc on this... It was the fastest I've ever seen anyone in the AF move over anything. Ironically, none of what they wanted done was acutally treating me to get the levels down.

So, you can see affects at a much lower level than what you have.

Shooting indoors was about the only thing I changed and it had a drastic impact on lowering my levels. Shooting indoors also seems to be a promanent factor in all of these posts. Newer indoor ranges seem to have better air circulation and less problems with this, but if they are not maintaining it, watch out.

A'yup, shooting indoors is what made mine shoot up (pun intended) too.

Now that I haven't shot indoors for over a year it is down to 11.8.

And I have picked up bullet casting, lead smelting, and birdshot making in the interim.

It was the indoor shooting all along. :surprise:

And my lead level still continues to drop.

Good air circulation in an indoor range is crucial.

I try to shoot alone at odd times so I'm not breathing somebody else's lead

I use lead free primers and plated or jacketed bullets for indoor shooting. Yes it is more money, but since I use this formula only for indoor shooting its not much.

Limit the number of .22 rimfire you shoot indoors.

ALWAYS WASH YOUR HANDS AFTER SHOOTING, LOADING, CLEANING, ETC!

I also have a HEPA air purifier in my reloading room and...

NEVER TUMBLE BRASS IN AN AREA I AM RELOADING IN. SEPARATE OUTSIDE IN AN AREA AWAY FROM THE GARDEN. The dust from the media is one of the largest exposures we get!

Do a search and you will find lots of other info

Make sure that the range has really good air flow.

If it is at your club as opposed to a public range and you have to clean up DO NOT SWEEP! Get the club to invest the money into a really good vacuum cleaner. Ours cost around $10,000, has three motors and HEPA and lead rated filters.

Wear gloves while reloading.

Wear a mask when cleaning brass, That is, when you load or unload the tumbler, gloves and a mask.

D-Lead soap

Change clothes

QUIT SMOKING! Too many reasons not to do this regardless of anything else you do.

Quit chewing the paint chips off the walls and trim in your house.

Jim