Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do a search... I had a thread last year that ran for weeks on this topic. I had a major lead problem... which is now solved.... but some others at my ranges were not so lucky.

That thread had tons of information on it.

Short version.(trying not to repeat the other good ideas above)

1. Sweeping the range without a mask is dangerous (use a wet mop or hepa vac)

2. Much lead can be a fault of polishing brass indoors

3. Going down range to score targets in an indoor range puts you where the lead is still in the air.

4. Strip and shower and launder all clothes after shooting

5. Buy lead cleaning hand soap

6. Wear a lead mask (They are only $7.50) when you practice or work on the range as an RO/SO

7. Never shoot lead bullets indoors

8. Limit 22 shooting indoors

9. Consider non-toxic primers

10. Reduce vitamin C intake (some say to increase it-- I followed my Docs suggestion on that---which was to reduce it)

11. Wear laytex gloves when handling brass or reloading

12. Put hepa filters in your range fans and furnace, and your vacume cleaner used to clean the reloading room.

Good Luck

Mark

Edited by MichiganShootist

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That what I think my doctor was referring to ..... reporting it to the Health Dept.

So what exactly would be the "ugly" part about the health dept. / lawyer thing?

Their mandate is to investigate and put corrective action in place for any environment where hazardous exposure is found. They could legally force corrective action if the situation is bad enough.

I had two telephone "interviews" with the health dept. they are primarially looking for dangerous working environments.

I explained about my shooting, reloading, and teaching... and all they did was send me booklets on how to avoid lead problems.

They asked that I also distribute the booklets to the indoor ranges that I frequent.

Has anyone tried this test?

http://www.leadtestconfirm.com/

It looks much cheaper than a blood test by my Dr. They do not show a sample of the results so I am curious to see how they list the lead levels.

ETA: I just found one site that listed the results and it doesn't look like it will be useful to us.

Edited by TAP

• 4 weeks later...

Got my results today. 24.5 Not good considering the lab says 0 - 4.9 is the normal range.

It could be worse. I'm told you don't approach room temperature until it's in the 90-100 range or above.

Change your patterns.

Just thought I'd post about my brass cleaning habits to see what you guys think.

I have the big Dillon tumbler with top on it, so no dust around it (I only run it with top on), but it is inside my shop.

When separating media, I go outside, and position myself where the wind is taking all dust away from my breathing holes.

I use the Nu finish car polish, so when messing with media, if I even catch a whiff of the smell, I hold my breath, and walk upwind for a second. In my mind, I treat it like poison gas.

I guess I'm wondering if any of these habits correspond to anything you guys with high levels do? OH, I don't shoot indoors.

Kyle- I tumble everything outside and when I sift the brass- I put a respirator on. I found I could hold my breath long enough to avoid that horrid tasting dust. My neighbors would be freaked if they saw me but who cares.... I wash my hands with delead soap after doing anything in my reloading area. Staying away from indoor shooting is the biggy...

In my mind, I treat it like poison gas.

Yup, when I separate - I hold my breath. If it takes longer than that, I'll leave and come back doing the same thing.

Not sure how effective it is but my last count was 19 and I'll probably get another count after the major matches this year.

I just got my lead tested yesterday. I found a local lab (Labcorp) through www.Directlabs.com that did a test for $55, no appointment needed, and I had my results in a little more than 24 hours.

My test results came back at 13 which is alot lower than I thought I was going to be.

I've been shooting at an indoor range once a week, every week, for the last 24 weeks. I try to maintain good hygine after shooting, but I typically wash my shooting clothes with the rest of the laundry, and I dont always take a shower after shooting, which I know is not good.

My reloading / tumbling habits are relatively good, but I wonder how contaminated my reloading bench / room is. You know lead dust theoretically gets on everything (cell phone, keys, steering wheel, door knobs, etc.).

I'm thinking of doing some extra special Spring Cleaning this year, where I use a D-Lead solution in a spray bottle to decontaminate everything that looks like it could have lead dust on it at some time in the past.

Lead is not good for the brain, and since half of this sport is 90% mental, we should all take care of ourselves better. :)