Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder selection for minor

I just moved to a new city and still learning my way around. I have been using N320, 340, and Ramshot Comp. When my N320 and Ram Comp run out I will need to select a new powder as I have not found a local supply cheap enough to replace them [maybe that will change?]. Cabelas is local and they have Win and Hodgeton. So, what will work best with the 124/125 gr. jacketed bullets I like to use? I have done a search on Clays and that looks good, so does WST, WSF and 231. What do you all think? Want to keep it cheap.

I haven't read the data, but you might look at HP38 (Hogdon). I know a few Bianchi guys load it under a 115 with great results. A slightly heavier head should be okay, but read their published data first.

Otherwise, you might also look at N330 if you come across it. Maybe Clays, too.

Titegroup is excellent and I've used it under 124/125's for many thousands of rounds. I have since switched to Accurate Arms Solo 1000. Its cheaper,provides a better feel and sight track and is extremely clean.

With that said....Win231/HP38,Win Superfield, and Vit 320 are also great.

Shooting my best production scores ever with Clays and 125gr bullets.

Jim

+1 on the CLAYS...

I just loaded 2500 rounds for a buddy with a 125 MG FMJ @ 1.150" over 3.7 grains of CLAYS.

It is doing 1050 fps in his SV for 131 PF and feels very soft.

We gave some to a guy shooting WOLF in a 5" XD and you could really feel the difference...

Edited by Mick

You guys shooting titegroup under 125's, what velocity? How many grains?

Thanks

Going from memory, I got ~1050 fps from my CZ-75B using 4.2 grains of Titegroup under a 125 grain Zero JHP loaded to 1.14" OAL. The same charge runs ~1100 fps under a 121 grain Montana Gold IFP loaded to 1.10" OAL.

Another fan of TiteGroup for 9MM minor loads with 124 grain bullets

4.1 grains Titegroup

Federal Small Pistol primers (#100) or CCI #500 Small Pistol

124 grain Precision Delta FMJ/RN

O.A.L. 1.130

mixed (very) brass

1,074 FPS from a Glock 17, for a 133.176PF

As always, YMMV. Check your loads with a chrono, to avoid unpleasant surprises. Trust me on this. :D

For minor with 124gr Montana Gold JHPs, I have tried Clays, Universal, and Power Pistol.

Clays was OK, I barely made minor with it. Really light recoil. Universal was slightly better, with still fairly light recoil. Power Pistol I think I like the most (still debating btw it and Universal). I also have loaded light 357mag with Universal and PP, and they both feel pretty good.

I've only tested over the chrono, and not really for accuracy or groups. So far Power Pistol is leading the pack. A little snappy and flashy, but I don't have a problem with that.

• 2 weeks later...
For minor with 124gr Montana Gold JHPs, I have tried Clays, Universal, and Power Pistol.

Clays was OK, I barely made minor with it. Really light recoil. Universal was slightly better, with still fairly light recoil. Power Pistol I think I like the most (still debating btw it and Universal). I also have loaded light 357mag with Universal and PP, and they both feel pretty good.

I've only tested over the chrono, and not really for accuracy or groups. So far Power Pistol is leading the pack. A little snappy and flashy, but I don't have a problem with that.

You barely made minor with clays. What kept you from making more pf. Were you seeing pressure signs, or did you not want to go higher than the max grain recomendation? What gun were you using? I have been thinking of trying Clays for minor. Thanks.

I love using 700x for minor 9mm. I use 4.8 gr of 700x with a 115gr Win hollow-base FMJ at 1150 or so (133ish PF). It shoots clean and cycles perfectly- plus 700x is cheeep and fills the case to perfection. I like the snappy, straight-back recoil that it gives me.

You barely made minor with clays. What kept you from making more pf. Were you seeing pressure signs, or did you not want to go higher than the max grain recomendation? What gun were you using? I have been thinking of trying Clays for minor. Thanks.

This was my first attempt at reloading, and the powder was given to by my father (8lb jug, loaded over 7500 rounds of 9mm with it). No signs of pressure loading at 3.6gr w/124 JHPs (at least that I could tell). 3.7gr is the listed max on Hodgdon's site.

From 10 round strings, it averaged 1003 fps from a 5inch 1911, and 1001.7 fps from a 3.5 inch P2000. Standard devs were pretty good, too. 6.09 for the 1911 and 9.41 for the P2000. This was Winchester Primers and Speer +P+ Nickel cases, OAL at 1.150. On my load notes I have that for the 1911, the ejected cases were barely clearing my right arm. I have a lighter recoil spring on order.

Also, my Walther P99 averaged 1002.4fps with this load, SD at 6.04.

It's a great target practice load for me.