Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Training With Timers???

PistolPete

I'm curious to see who here trains with a timer. I'm debating about buying one as I believe it will help my training. With the timer I would be able to track my progress not only in matches but in my private practice. Who here uses a timer in practice and has it helped your ability at all? Also, which timer are you using?

Thanks,

Pete :ph34r:

Timers are essential.

How else would you know which ways are faster for you, and when you are fast enough? I use them most of the time, if not to track the time, to get used to the pressure of performing on demand.

I have a Pact club and a CED I like the CED better, but it cost twice as much, so starting out, buy as much of a timer as you can afford :)

Pete,

I agree with :wub: toShoot. Timers are essential. Not only do they help you figure out which way is faster, but they promote you to challenge yourself in the balance of speed, accuracy, and seeing. It was with the timer that I discovered exactly what happens when I press the trigger. I could not replicate the effect of the timer without it. The timer helped me to learn how to deal with the adrenaline dump, my desire to do well, the pressure, and my nerves. I still have some problems with those things, but it is getting better. I shot A4 without a nerve getting out of place. It was cool.

BTW Competition Electronics has timers for $124 or thereabouts. Great deal. Only five buttons, simple to operate. The instruction "manual" is only a single-side sheet of paper. I love that timer. Hubby has the Pact. He likes it a lot. It has way more bells and whistles.

Liota

I'm debating between the Pact Club Timer and the Competition Electronics timer. Both are about the same price. I'm not sure which one would work better for me. Looks like I've found my next purchase. Please help me decide which one to get.

Thanks again,

Pete

I bought the PACT Club Timer II thru the forum as the Mark IV was probably overkill for my needs (and a little more costly). Liota is right about timers helping you deal with "adrenalin dump" and getting used to thinking in terms of pacing yourself thru the pressure of a timed setup and getting used to USING that time--rather than having it use YOU.

If you're reloading and don't own a chrono you must get the Pact Mark IV because it will fill both of those roles for you. If you already own a chrono, then you have more options ---- though I still recommend the Mark IV. If you decide to buy the Pact ---- our host sells them in his store, at discount, I think!

I use a timer more often than I ever thought I would. As all the previous people say "it is essential", you must get one as soon as funds allow.

I use a Oehler Chronograph and a CED6000 Timer. These work best for what I do.

Try as many timers as you can before you decide, you will not go wrong with either a Pact or a CED.

The Oehler 35P is simply the best, most accurate chrono around, it is also the most expensive. I have used lots of different chrono's and they all work well, the Oehler works the best.

Hi,

Have not used a timer yet. Would like to, but it will be a little difficult as I don't have opportunities to train without other people shooting next to me.

Sportshooter.com has a review on timers which I found very interesting:

Sportshooter.com Timer Review

Here in the Netherlands the RO's use the RUReady 3000, which is also reviewed by Sportshooter.com.

Like has been said, you must train with a timer if you wish to improve (rapidly). In addition, the more you improve, the more you will appreciate the advanced features the PACT MKIV offers, not to mention that it comes with a chrono and skyscreens, for $200, including shipping, through my Store link below. It's one of the few incredible deals, in the what-you-get vs. what-you-pay realm, still with us.

;)

So then the MK1V is much better than the Club timer? I want something small enough to put on my belt and forget it is there. I don't want anything bulky that I will really notice. What are the differences in the MKlV and the Club timer?

Benos- I'm guessing you would recommend the Pact over the Competition Electronics timer? You obviously have the most experience of anyone on here so I would like to hear your reviews of these products. I plan on ordering one of these before the end of the weekend as I'm not doing my research of which one to get. Please help point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

Pete

I have been happy with my CED 6000.

In a training camp with Michael Voigt, one memorable piece of advice (there was many pieces of great advice) was to practice like you compete - in every way. That means starting with the timer and reviewing the timer after each run. It is worthwhile having some standard practice drills (eg Bill Drill) and record the time each practice to plot your improvements.

Regards

Peter

OK you've conviced me. I'm all about buying the best products so I'm going to get the MK1V. REading about it you can set up a split time between say the 5th shot which could be where you reload. You can set it for a specific time and it will beep when the time is up. Sounds like a great training tool.

Pete :D

Pete,

I’m sure you’ll be completely satisfied with a Pact MKIV I know I am. The “propaganda” that you read about it on Brian’s or even Pact’s site only hints at the many things that are possible with this timer/chrono. Mine is tucked in my shooting bag and goes anywhere my gun goes. With dry firing, I use it almost every day. During our clubs formal practice we use MY timer because of the easy to use “review” feature that lets us easily analyze, in depth, each shooters performance. The only drawback is that the timer is a little big for match use however; I have no problem hanging it on my belt while practicing by myself or when dry firing.

As a final note, please support this forum and buy it from our host. :)

Ed

I ordered the timer a few minutes ago. Of course I ordered it from here. I've ordered a few items from this site and have been completely satisfied. Now, I can't wait to get my timer so I can train even harder.

Pete

You will not be disappointed with your timer. After you start using it, you will realize that until you had it, you were really just putzing around when you shot. You may have felt like you shot the El Prez in 3.69 but the timer, like the camera, never blinks.

Well I just received my timer today and so far I'm impressed with it. The options on this thing are almost endless. I can't wait to get to the range on Sunday and put it to work. You can set it up to time you between shots etc. Plus it displays all the important numbers all at once. You get all these great features plus you even get a chrono. Thanks for convincing me to spend the extra $60 as I already see it was money well spent.

Another fringe benefit? It'll last you forever.

I've had my MK IV for probably 7 or 8 years of pretty hard use and abuse, and she still ticks.

It is so ironic to go out and practice, and realize that the one thing I use during practice MORE than the gun is the timer.

I love that thing! Critical for Dry Firing too !

JB

Learn to use it as a training tool. Make use of the par time features. Use it to learn the difference between LOHF runs and predictable "do it on demand" times.

Beware of focusing too much on your times and learn to read it objectionably.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I recently bought a CLUB TIMER II from our host, great service and value!

I tried the timer at the range and got some strange results: I fired 5 shots and the timer recorded 9! If I had to guess It would be that the timer is recording it's own beep since some time differences were 0.10 (I don't even blink that fast!).

Any guesses? Any soultions?

Thanks in advance!!

There was some posts here talking about echos off the walls being recorded. They were talking about indoor ranges, but there was some discussion about outdoors as well. maybe search for echo? Sorry I couldn't place it better

Venezuala,

Either an echo or someone shooting in the next bay. If the timer is not tuned right, you can pick up echos from the berm or from stage props like barrels. Either way, you need to adjust the sensitivity of the timer. There should be some small adjustment screw with a + and a - sign. Turn it a little towards the - sign. With the CED, the amount of adjustment required is tiny (about a 15 to 30 degrees turn of the screw) but other timers have a different adjustment range.

Regards

Peter