Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Gun or Reload Press?

Lanzo

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

One thing no one has brought up - *some* 2011's won't feed factory length ammo very nicely. They need to be loaded long. Very long. So, you will either need a reloader, or a friend that reloads, or very deep pockets to buy the long ammo from Atlanta Arms & Ammo in order to run a 2011.

That pretty much makes the decision for you.

Edited by Krautwagen

I've been through 4 different pistols in the last 2 years competing. If I look at the $2100 I spent on the three I don't shoot or even have anymore, I could've bought one hell of a setup from Brian and a bench full of components to hold me over for awhile. I'll never outgrow my press... it's been the only constant in all of my shooting experience since I started hunting alphas.

Get the press and know it's a long term brilliant move.

There are hundreds of 2011 pistols out there running right along on factory ammo. I know of several that have never even been close to a handload. They may need a little tuneing but they will run factory ammo. Buy the loader, best money a shooter can spend.-----------Larry

I would buy a press.......(first)

But I would buy a Hornady LNL AP. It has the same features of the Dillon 650

HOWEVER!

With their get loaded program the press is practially FREE.

Then........you can tell your significant other that the press was FREE so then you can still go out and BUY THE GUN!

The best of both worlds.

• 2 weeks later...

With your G21 you can shoot almost every USPSA division there is, except single stack and revolver. Buy a press, load lots of ammo and shoot the hell out of that gun. That will give you time and savings to then get the new gun you want.

My guns have come and gone but my 650 still stand in the same place saving me money with every crank of the handle.

$0.02

SharonAnne said:

"You may change your mind about what pistol you want but you will never regret buying a Dillon reloader. "

Truer words were never typed!

The single best reloading press maker is Dillon! Any one who says differently has every right to be wrong. Get the Dillon and you will never regret it!

And no, I do not work for, nor do I sell Dillon presses or equipment.

--Lin

If you plan to shoot a lot of different calibers and can only afford one press a Dillon 659 is the way to go.

If you plan to shoot a REAL LOT and can afford it, then a Dillon 1050 (or more than one) is the way to go.

Change over in a 650 is real fast, a 1050 takes a bit longer, but not all that much. Conversion kts cost more, but the press does more. A lot more. Swages primer pockets, Performs all steps on the down stroke, adjustable primer seating depth. All around a great press, but there is a learning curve involved.

One thing for sure, you will never regret a Dillon Press.

• 3 weeks later...

Get the Dillon. I recieved a 650 as a Christmas gift from a very generous fiancee 2 year ago. Since then I have saved a ton of money on shooting. As a matter of fact, I bought factory ammo recently because I am totally out of components and needed to get to the range. As I handed over my debit card in the check out line of Cabellas, I almost broke into tears. GET THE DILLON!

• 2 weeks later...

i would take something in the s_i family and buy a dillion 650. when i started shooting uspsa i shot a single stack and loaded on a single stage press. i would load all week to shoot the next weekend. friends kept telling me to get a nice progressive loader but i opted to by fancier guns thinking it would improve my shooting, but i was wrong.i keep buying this and that gun and never invested in a nice loader untill about 7years ago. lets just say i`m a little slow but i dont know how i got by all those years without my dillion. hope i`ve been some help and keep on shooting!

• 4 weeks later...

I would look for a used Dillon (I always buy used due to their warranty).

Don't bother with a single stage or any machine that is not blue. Bulk reloading on any sort of single stage is maddening and time consuming. I bought a used Dillon 650 from a local gun board and it included 45acp lead projos (I shoot Glocks so I sold the bullets) 5k primers, tons of brass, 11lbs of Winchester Super Target, spare parts, and some reloading equipment.

Living in Phoenix, I have a distinct advantage of being able to return the machine for warranty work if anything goes wrong.

I love Dillon!

• 2 weeks later...