Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P9L vs M&P9Pro

lppd4

I am interetsed in purchasing one or the other. is the Pro worth the extra money? I plan on having a trigger job done on the gun and possibly the sights changed. I need informed opinions on which way to go. I am not buying the standard M&P just because I like the looks of the 5" gun.Thanks

The Pro's trigger is a step in the right direction, but I think it is a VERY small step. The striker safety plunger still needs attention, as does pretravel. The pro-shop sear just delays the break point in the trigger which uses the limit of the triggers travel as an overtravel stop. Not so great if you have big hands, and it creates quite a bit of pretravel. The sights are fine.

With the 9L, you are just sights and trigger work behind the Pro. Trigger work needs to be done on either, and sights are easy. Go for the 9L.

The Pro's trigger is a step in the right direction, but I think it is a VERY small step. The striker safety plunger still needs attention, as does pretravel. The pro-shop sear just delays the break point in the trigger which uses the limit of the triggers travel as an overtravel stop. Not so great if you have big hands, and it creates quite a bit of pretravel. The sights are fine.

With the 9L, you are just sights and trigger work behind the Pro. Trigger work needs to be done on either, and sights are easy. Go for the 9L.

++1. I own an L and have shot both. The L does need a lot of trigger work done but then again, if you have to take it apart you can do all the work in short order anyway. I do not see the advantage to the Pro. Just my .02.

My advice is to start with the 9L. The Pro does have a decent trigger, but in no way would I call it a competition trigger. Dan Burwell or Mike Cyrus or SSS is who you are looking for to do that. The front fiber optic front sight IMO is too large a diameter.

Start with the lower price platform, yank off the sights and replace with your choice and send out for a real competition trigger job.

JMHO

I am interetsed in purchasing one or the other. is the Pro worth the extra money? I plan on having a trigger job done on the gun and possibly the sights changed. I need informed opinions on which way to go. I am not buying the standard M&P just because I like the looks of the 5" gun.Thanks

I bought the Pro because the shop I bought from the price was only $30 difference...a little nicer trigger and the fiber optic sight I felt were worth the $30.

Good Luck

Edited by Para14Bud

I got the Pro because I thought that it actually saying "Pro" on the slide would make me automatically shoot better. :cheers:

:ph34r:

Seriously, it was all my shop had, and I get it at damn near cost, so thats why. But it will still go to Dan or Mike for trigger help. The sights can stay, replaced that gay green rod with a red one, now all is good.

I was fortunate to win a 9L a couple of months ago. I hated the stock sights and the trigger was awful, but those things were taken care of easily enough. About three weeks ago I handled a 9 Pro at a local gun shop and was actually impressed with how refined it was compared to the 9L out of the box. The sights were actually pretty good I thought (minus the green FO) and the trigger was much better than the 9L out of the box. I mean the 9 Pro was by no means full custom, and the trigger and sights weren't as good as those offered in the aftermarket, but a guy could definitely do some good work with it as it was out of the box. So, ultimately I think which one to get comes down to how much more time and money you want to put into it after the initial purchase of the pistol. Like I said, with the 9 Pro a guy could shoot it as is and do well, whereas with the 9L some work is necessary to unlock its potential as a competition pistol.....my .02 worth.

BTW....once I got the trigger and sights worked out on my 9L, it turned out to be a very nice shooting pistol. Whichever one you end up with I think you'll like it.

Does anyone know if there is a difference in the pro and Ls barrels? Are they the same barrels, is the pro a better/tighter fit, does one have a tighter chamber ect?

I have both the 9L and the Pro. From the looks of it, they have the same exact barrel.

Thanks guys I think the 9L will fit my bill especially since I plan on having trigger and sight work done. I will have to check out the slide profiles and see which I prefer. And it may come down to availability.

the answer to pro vs 9l comes down to the sights. Both triggers are noticably worse than a trigger job. However, replacing the sights on the 9l costs more than the retail price difference. If the pro sights float your boat, they'll save you about $20-30 over buying replacements.

• 4 weeks later...

This might be a little off the original post but.....I can tell from other posts that both the Pro and the L need better sights. I take it from that statement that S&W has put the standard sights on them? Just asking because I haven't even seen either yet. Glock 34 and 35 are non existent around here also.

Richard

The L has the same sights as the standard M&P's (3 white dot setup). The Pro has a plain black rear (tipped at an angle toward the shooter) and a fiber optic front (stock FO rod is green, and it might be a little wide for some folks taste).

The factory trigger on the M&P9PRO is significantly bettter in my opinion that that of a factory Glock 34. After much deliberation I opted for the M&P(PRO which is due next week.

This might be a little off the original post but.....I can tell from other posts that both the Pro and the L need better sights. I take it from that statement that S&W has put the standard sights on them? Just asking because I haven't even seen either yet. Glock 34 and 35 are non existent around here also.

Richard

The trigger on the pro (like the regular seared M&P's) can be variable in feel.

Some feel nice, some feel not as nice.

Its worth it to feel a couple of them and choose.

Either way, the Pro has a just little too much overtravel for me.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

The M&P9L slide is 3/10ths oz heavier than a standard M&P9. The Pros slide is 6/10ths of an oz heavier than a standard M&P.

Does that include the sights? I'm not sure if I can picture how much .3 of an ounce weighs...Lighter is probably better but I bet I have more than .3 oz. of dirt in most of my guns so I'm not worried about it :P

the answer to pro vs 9l comes down to the sights. Both triggers are noticably worse than a trigger job. However, replacing the sights on the 9l costs more than the retail price difference. If the pro sights float your boat, they'll save you about $20-30 over buying replacements.

This is one of the reasons that I bought the 5" pro model. I prefer the sights, and I somehow had the dumb luck to stumble on a good deal on a new one.