Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

To Lube or Not To Lube....

JLO

So, what is the consensus... Should I use a quick shot of case lube on my .40 S&W brass before running them through my Dillion 550B and dies? Pros? Cons?

Thanks!

I use One Shot and spray the cases before I toss them in the case feeder... it makes pulling that handle a lot easier. ;)

The one shot made all the difference in the world smoothing out my press. Something I've also wondered, does it help in the feeding in my pistol? Don't know, haven't had any issues thus far.

Edited by Aristotle

I just loaded a bunch of 40 S&W after giving the cases a shot of Hornady One Shot. Very smooth.

My casefeed emptied, and I had about 50 left, so I figured I'd just throw some cases in without the lube.

HUGE difference. Noticable.

I sprayed One Shot into the casefeed, problem went away.

That tells me to use case lube, every time.

I've never been very impressed with One Shot. I have some under the bench, but I won't use it. I know I'm in the minority, but it doesn't work nearly as well as pure, unscented lanolin does. I've had a few folks give lanolin a try and so far, most, if not all, really seem to like it. A $10 tube lasts tens of thousands of cases, the press works even easier than with One Shot and there's nothing to tumble off if you don't put too much on in the first place. Put 2-300 cases in a box, put a dab half the size of a pencil eraser (at most) in your palm and work it around until it's spread evenly on your hands (heat softens it up) and fingers, then run your hands through the cases for a few seconds and that's it. Lanolin happens to be the active ingredient in several of the commercial case lubes you can buy which is why it works so well. The only downside is that you do wind up with it on your hands...so it'll take a minute to clean off....but it's great for your skin :roflol:

I got figure out how to not get dirty at the range. :blink:

LOL, me too. I usually look like I cleaned a gun with my shirt, not to mention the rust and mud that I somehow get all over me.

Wait, hold up, I know how to stay clean. Stop helping, that'll do it. Don't help guys with gun/ammo/mag problems, don't help tear down, don't help brass, don't do those things and I guarantee you will stay clean.

I've never been very impressed with One Shot. I have some under the bench, but I won't use it. I know I'm in the minority, but it doesn't work nearly as well as pure, unscented lanolin does. I've had a few folks give lanolin a try and so far, most, if not all, really seem to like it. A $10 tube lasts tens of thousands of cases, :roflol:

+1 for lanolin . . . but, there is a problem.

Sent my wife out to get some, she comes back with two small tubes of the the stuff that is labeled for use on nursing women's breasts. Now, whenever I put a dab on my hands to lube the cases, I tend to get severely distracted from the task at hand . . .

Yeah, I'm sick.

But the lanolin does work really well!

bumper

Do you lay your cases flat to spray them or spray in a tub or box? The reason I ask, if you get lube inside the case, does the lube affect the grip of the case on the bullet after seating?

I use a cardboard box. I put in enough brass to cover the bottom, with most of the brass on it's side. A few will stand proud, which is fine. I spray them like I might spray oil on a skillet...just a quick light coating. Then, I roll the box around t spread th lube around on the brass some.