Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

LPGA

outerlimits

It's not political, but here is the piece I just wrote for one of the companies I work for.

Here it is:

On Monday, it was reported that the LPGA has taken some rather drastic measures towards some of their international members. The LPGA has 121 international members from 26 countries, 45 of which hail from South Korea. Most of the South Koreans speak little or no English, which is not very user friendly for the sponsors, media, or fans that wish to interact with the stars of the LPGA. “The LPGA will require players to speak English starting in 2009, with players who have been LPGA members for two years facing suspension if they can't pass an oral evaluation of English skills.”

Yes, I said stars, as the South Koreans, along with many others have started to dominate the LPGA Tour. When the winners of tournaments are not able to give interviews, interact with the title sponsors and their invited guests, and participate in media days as defending champions for upcoming events, it puts a strain on the LPGA in regards to cultivating current or future sponsors in this difficult economy.

I have seen something of this nature coming for a while now, and while it has caused a huge uproar this week in the United States, I am surprised more people did not see this as inevitable, than a surprise. I can see lawsuits on the horizon, and I am not aware of the LPGA bylaws, but you can bet, with the amount of money at stake for the non-English speaking members, this will not go untested.

While admittedly harsh, I believe the LPGA is looking at this with the future in mind. If they have any hope of holding onto the sponsors they currently have, or more difficult yet, growing the tour in a down economy, they will have to be seen as user friendly.

Edited by zhunter

Your right. It's not politics. It's not sport. It's big business. The business aspect is dominating the sport. But is it good business?

A good simultaneous translator that could translate in a seamless fashion and not detract from interviews or use expensive televised time would run them maybe $1000 a day per translator.

It seems to me that course would be the better business decision, and they can certainly afford it.

Well said, SJ...on all accounts.

Bad morality is seldom good business in the long run. One easy test is to put the shoe on the other foot. What if...to shoot IPSC major matches, we were required to speak French (for instance) ?

Bad morality is seldom good business in the long run. One easy test is to put the shoe on the other foot. What if...to shoot IPSC major matches, we were required to speak French (for instance) ?

If the prize tables for the major IPSC matches were all multi-$100k and I had a shot at taking them, I'd happily learn French, if that was a requirement ;)

Edited by gose

If the prize tables for the major IPSC matches were all multi-$100k and I had a shot at taking them, I'd happily learn French, if that was a requirement ;)

The official language of IPSC is English - when I have attended matches in Germany for example they have had a WSG in both German and English and whenever the squad I was on arrived at a stage the English one was read first.

Your right. It's not politics. It's not sport. It's big business. The business aspect is dominating the sport. But is it good business?

A good simultaneous translator that could translate in a seamless fashion and not detract from interviews or use expensive televised time would run them maybe $1000 a day per translator.

It seems to me that course would be the better business decision, and they can certainly afford it.

Sorry, but I am often the guy doing interviews with an interpreter, it does not work well, it does not come across well on TV, and to be honest, the TV audience has expressed they don't like it, sorry, I beg to differ. Can't argue facts.

Read above

My experience is NOT second hand.

As a player, when needed, I did my interviews with Spanish speaking channels, in Spanish. I took the time to learn the language. I felt it was part of my responsibility to do so.

You are wrong on every part of your statement. If you want to play the game and sponsors are the game, you need to be able to interact and speak the english language, period.

If the same attitude was taken by our government, we wouldnt have alot of the issues we have now.

I work for a large multinational company from europe and guess what language is used during all conferences and seminars,yep, english as it is the language of engineering and money, all other languages loose it in the translation.

Only the french are to stubborn to do it and even they relent when money is the issue.

That attitude is what will get obama elected. There isnt something out there for everyone, some conforming is required. A common language is what made this country great, and if brought back will be the beginning of our return to greatness.

You are wrong on every part of your statement. If you want to play the game and sponsors are the game, you need to be able to interact and speak the english language, period.

If the same attitude was taken by our government, we wouldnt have alot of the issues we have now.

I work for a large multinational company from europe and guess what language is used during all conferences and seminars,yep, english as it is the language of engineering and money, all other languages loose it in the translation.

Only the french are to stubborn to do it and even they relent when money is the issue.

That attitude is what will get obama elected. There isnt something out there for everyone, some conforming is required. A common language is what made this country great, and if brought back will be the beginning of our return to greatness.

Go ahead and insert angry politics and get the thread closed. :rolleyes:

I've spent several years overseas and I can tell you that if you call a businees in another country you DON'T get "press 1 for Hangul or Deutsch or Magyar or Italian or whatever". Bottom line is that if you CHOOSE to live and or do business in a country other than your own you should know the language. It just makes common sense.

-------Personal views withheld to keep thread open.-----------

The LPGA has better ratings in Korea than in the US.

I'm sure it does, but the sponsorship money is mainly US targeting the US market.

Hey, I can see this from both sides, as I played in several countries that were non-English speaking and I was not fluent enough to do an interview. So I can see it from the South Korean point of view. But in this time (financially), it is all about maintaining the money they are playing for, and they need to please the sponsors

It is common in poker tournaments that english is the only language to be spoken at the tables to prevent cheating. Golf is a game of honor but who's to say 2 players couldn't discuss strategy in another language. I know the LPGA hasnt brought this up but it a point I would have made.

They were interviewing a number of people yesterday and they were doing a great job of keeping the message straight. This is not an "American" issue, its not a "national" issue, its purely business. We have to compete for sponsor and tournament dollars and this is just what we have to do. Then the last person they interviewed, of course, blew it. The manager for some country club that host a big tournament (The State Farm, I think) spouts off "Its an American game, of course they should speak english" and wiped out what was going to be a very positive piece on the LGA decision.

I am all for cramming the English language down everybody's throat...because it is the only language that I really know. :)

I'm not impressed that golf is more about the sponsors (business) than it is about the game (competition). But, I do understand the position(s).

I'm for things that get out of the way of competition as much as possible. Mandates (language, in this case) place a hurdle in the way of free competition.

If that means the we all need to learn to speak Korean, than so be it. (I've very happy that English is #1, however...for my sake.)

Then again, I like the competition of "business", too. ;)

They were interviewing a number of people yesterday and they were doing a great job of keeping the message straight. This is not an "American" issue, its not a "national" issue, its purely business. We have to compete for sponsor and tournament dollars and this is just what we have to do. Then the last person they interviewed, of course, blew it. The manager for some country club that host a big tournament (The State Farm, I think) spouts off "Its an American game, of course they should speak english" and wiped out what was going to be a very positive piece on the LGA decision.

Blew it?

Was it a news interview piece, or a marketing piece? I am most definitely for real news reporting, and not propaganda that stays "on message". :blink:

(Hey Merlin...how is golf like birds on a patio?) :ph34r:

Bad morality? A subjective perspective to be sure on the "Ideal Code of Conduct" for American Corporations (organizations). Tierd down to ethics is unsustainable rationale.

A good example is motorsports. Look at Formula 1 or FIM MotoGP (I'm a big fan of GP motorcycle racing).

These have competitors and teams from all over the world and the big dogs can hold solid interviews in the major languages. "The Dr." V. Rossi can hold his victory interviews in English although he is Italian. Don't know that FIM requires it but I bet Yamaha does. $$$ talks and the sponsors want customers to hear those whom they are sponsoring....

-rvb

Edited by rvb

Bad morality? A subjective perspective to be sure on the "Ideal Code of Conduct" for American Corporations (organizations). Tierd down to ethics is unsustainable rationale.

"Bad morality" came from my initial reaction to hearing this. Which was...

S. Korean women are becoming a dominant force in women's pro golf. That is not good for what we want women's pro golf to look like. So, lets throw a hurdle at them.

You can't compete in the sport...at all...unless you meet our mandates (which are foreign to you and aren't about performance on the field in any way).

Anyway...right or wrong, that was my initial reaction and the rational. Given that, I see an ethical conflict for sure. I'd hope there isn't one, but that is faith based. I say let them compete.

I'm glad our swimmers, gymnasts, and shooters didn't have to learn to speak Chinese to compete in the recent Olympics (and collect their medals).

A small country like the Netherlands has a nice system teaching Dutch (native language), English (UK), German, French and Spanish.

To speak and understand more than one language has it's advantages!

That isnt the issue for the LPGA and its sponsors. I dont thinks that only knowing or being able to converse in more than 1 language is a bad thing. I am saying that my coountry, your country needs 1 language that is used for 99%of its day to day communiccations and the same goes for international organizations that are sponsored by large corporations. I travel to Holland(Netherland) quite often and try to speak as much as I can of your language, but when I am there in the office and business is transacted by more than just the Dutch, we revert bacck to english for all conversation. When travelling on vacation, I try to work with the language of the country I am in and then hope for the goodness of the people when I get stuck on a phrase or word, but I do expect the same of them in this country.

I think it is a better situation also when 1 language is the only 1 spoken as it makes the mass communications so much easier to distribute. When the organizers make a rule like this there is always a financial element to it. As someone else brought up there isnt an issue for and of the Moto gp or F1 drivers to give an interview in english, then they can turn around and give the interview again in their native language, seen it happen many times.