Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brass Sorters

mwx40x40

I like it they it makes sorting the .40 and the 9 real easy. It paid for itself the day I got it. I had a bunch of brass sitting around needing to be sorted for a couple of years. presto a half hour later I had it all separated.

Edited by AWLAZS

I have had a set for a while now. They feel like they don't work so hot until you actually clock yourself. They don't decrease the tedium, just the time spent engaged in it.

As a workflow, I find the following is most efficient for me, you need at least one 5 gallon bucket, and some other storage. :

1) pick up all the brass I can scrounge and store it until it is cleaning time.

2) over a 5 gallon bucket, sort the dirty brass one or two handfulls at a time (any more, and the plastic sorters don't work so hot. 2 handfulls is about the best volume to speed ratio).

3) take sorted dirty brass and clean one caliber at a time.

4) separate cleaned 9mm from 38 super/comp

5) inspect cleaned brass.

This helps keep your media cleaner and gets rid of more rocks and junk. It also keeps media from causing 9/40, 40/45, 9/45 from wedging together with media. Which saves a lot more time than you would think.

Hand sorting was about 45 minutes a tumbler full. Sorting after tumbling with the plastic separators was about 20-25 minutes. Sorting before tumbling with teh separators is about 10-15 minutes.

They work great. I bought mine with the blue (40) and yellow (45) trays. What is the black one I saw in the blue press for? My set didnt have that option when I bought it a year ago. Can I buy jsut the black tray?

They work great. I bought mine with the blue (40) and yellow (45) trays. What is the black one I saw in the blue press for? My set didnt have that option when I bought it a year ago. Can I buy jsut the black tray?

The black is used after the yellow (45) and blue(40) sorters. It sorts the 9mm variants, letting 380, 25 acp, .22's and dirt fall through. Probably worth while if you have swept up brass from an indoor public range. Less useful, except to get rid of some of fine dirt and gravel, if the brass is competition calibers from out of door ranges.

I think shell sorter has some sort of update deal where you can get the third sorter if you want. Dunno what it costs, though...

Edited by kevin c

I used it last night on the range brass bucket. I found that you really need a second or even a third bucket on hand. In the third bucket you put the crap you have no interest in that is caught up with the stuff you want (shotgun hulls, rifle cartridges, revolver cartridges, aluminum cases) that way you don't have to resort through it when using the smaller sorters. The second bucket is where the things that fall through go since you don't want to put it back in the bucket you are taking brass out of in the first place. Maybe I am thick and there is a better way.

Finally ordered one last night, getting shipped out today. I've spent more on stupider things, figure buying back my time sorting through the buckets of brass in my basement will pay for itself in the first sift through. Top notch operation, fast repsonse via email and friendly customer service.

The following chart shows some of those calibers and the sorter pan that they end up in.

Yellow Blue Black Bucket

45ACP 40 S&W 9mm 22 rimfire

45 GAP 10mm 380 ACP 17 rimfire

44 Mag 357 Mag 38 Super gravel

50 AE 38 Special .223 32 ACP

243 Win Tumbling Media

308 Win 25 ACP

7.62x39

45 Colt

It sorts the 9mm variants, letting 380, 25 acp, .22's and dirt fall through.

It won't let .380 go through. .380 is the same dia. as 9mm.

My bad.

A double handful is what I also found works well.

A (clean!) kitty litter pan is just the right size to catch the fall through stuff.

I hate manually sorting brass, and hate manually sorting dirty brass even more. Even though this gadget only groups by sets of calibers, it looks like I'll be able to pre-sort brass and end up with sets that don't next inside each other in the tumbler.

I only wish Dillon had thought of this earlier.

• 2 weeks later...
It won't let .380 go through. .380 is the same dia. as 9mm.

You are correct the shell sorter won’t let 380 go through; however, it is not the same size as 9mm. .374 OD (380) vs. .394 OD (9X19). I built a machine that will sort 380 from 9mm as well as 38 super (.406 OD) but it’s not as simple as the shell sorter.

• 3 weeks later...