Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which basepad for 140 tube (open)?

CAB33

Depends on the tube. STI tubes are 21 rounds, can be tuned for 22 or even 23 but isn't worth the cost. You can use basepad inserts in them for 23 or 24 rounds, but they are a hassle. SV tubes will go 23/4/5 depending on the basepad. The Bolen 7mm pad on a good tuned tube will go 25, standard +1 pads will get you an easy reloading 23 on a good tuned tube.

I bought a mini stick base/spring kit from Dawson and installed on a 140 STI 38sc mag. It works great and holds 25 or 26 rounds. I'm not sure but I'll check on the capacity.

I bought four new SVI 140 tubes and used +2 Dawson (If you can find them, I think one is a older plus one) and I get 24 9 major with Bevans guts. These tubes have never been tuned and run 100%.

Comes in handy sometimes, but not really needed in open. I guess it can save wear and tear on the big stick on those 20-22 round COF.

The Bolen 7mm pad on a good tuned tube will go 25
Ain't those fun?!?!?! :roflol::cheers:
I bought four new SVI 140 tubes and used +2 Dawson (If you can find them, I think one is a older plus one) and I get 24 9 major with Bevans guts. These tubes have never been tuned and run 100%.

Comes in handy sometimes, but not really needed in open. I guess it can save wear and tear on the big stick on those 20-22 round COF.

Yep, an SV with old +2 or 7mm Bolen are my choice. :goof:

What about the grams 11mm pads? I too am interested in this for the low 20rd courses...

Hey bird_dog,

I will give you the line up and I am assuming you are not shooting 9x19. With STI 140 tubes (measuring 137mm), my FKS-11 Follower kit and a BPS-4 base pad, you will get 22 rounds of .38 super. Use my BPS-11 base pad and the FKS-13 follower kit, you will get 23. This are the set-ups I recommend, and I do not recommend going past 23 rounds. SPS and SV tubes will work at 24 rounds if they are relatively new production models. Do not hesitate to call if you have anymore questions.

What about the grams 11mm pads? I too am interested in this for the low 20rd courses...

Hey bird_dog,

I will give you the line up and I am assuming you are not shooting 9x19. With STI 140 tubes (measuring 137mm), my FKS-11 Follower kit and a BPS-4 base pad, you will get 22 rounds of .38 super. Use my BPS-11 base pad and the FKS-13 follower kit, you will get 23. This are the set-ups I recommend, and I do not recommend going past 23 rounds. SPS and SV tubes will work at 24 rounds if they are relatively new production models. Do not hesitate to call if you have anymore questions.

My 140mm STI tubes with Dawson 11mm pads and 13-coil spring give me 23 in Supercomp, but I have to use the basepad insert or they turn into a salt shaker after a reload. Without the insert even 22 will sometimes bind up if I seat the mag hard. Oh, they're tuned tubes that run perfectly. That's part of the reason I've gone to SV tubes for all my new mags....24 or 25 no problem and don't have to worry about the salt shaker effect.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well, I had a Dawson +2 laying around and I put it on my STI 140 (not sure exact length) with a grams 11 coil spring and follower. I get 25 rounds in it, could be reloadable... not TIGHT, but snug enough to need to seat it well. 24 is perfectly reloadable. I have another STI 140 that has a Dawson +1, and an SV follower and spring that gets me 23 reloadable. My 170 has a grams 13 coil and follower, and a Dawson + 1, gets 28 +1. None of these are tuned, and they are 38 Super.

Cliff, I bought 3 140 and a 170 SV tube from Rene with Dawson BPs, and Grams internals. Put them together myself and they have run without failure. I did recently have Paul go over them, just to be sure I didn't screw anything up, and to make them 'perfect'. I get 21 easily in the 140. I get 28 in the 170 and it is reloadable, although it feels snug going in. I never paid any attention to it until the day I tried to get 29 in it. Your wife will remember that because she helped me clean up the mess on the ground and find all my mag parts.

When I order again - I'll do the same setup again, just because they've proven themselves to me. On the other hand, those Bolen BPs they are talking about, at 23/24 rounds per, are quite interesting.

JimInFL

Cliff, I bought 3 140 and a 170 SV tube from Rene with Dawson BPs, and Grams internals. Put them together myself and they have run without failure. I did recently have Paul go over them, just to be sure I didn't screw anything up, and to make them 'perfect'. I get 21 easily in the 140. I get 28 in the 170 and it is reloadable, although it feels snug going in. I never paid any attention to it until the day I tried to get 29 in it. Your wife will remember that because she helped me clean up the mess on the ground and find all my mag parts.

When I order again - I'll do the same setup again, just because they've proven themselves to me. On the other hand, those Bolen BPs they are talking about, at 23/24 rounds per, are quite interesting.

JimInFL

A 140 SV tube with a Dawson standard +1 and a Bolen follower and either Bolen or Grams 11-coil spring should get you 23-24 rounds easy. Heck, they're getting 21 rounds of .40 in 140mm mags with similar parts (sometimes 22), so you should be doing better than that. You could go with the Dawson SNL, but you have to be careful or the rounds can get below the bottom of the indent on the side of the tube and the whole thing will turn into a salt shaker when the follower rolls...and it will!

I have a 170 SV tube with a Dawson +1, Grams 13-coil spring and a Bolen follower and I get 30 in it with no trouble at all. If you swapped out the Grams spring/follower in your big stick for a Bolen spring/follower, you'll almost definitely get a reloadable 29 and maybe 30.

(stop reading this, Tammie... get back in the kitchen and bake me some cookies... and keep shooting Limited.) :P

Hey Cliff, glad to see you on the Dark Side! (sorry I didn't see this thread sooner).

I run "untuned" SVs with Dawson +2s and get 24 .38SC. But I never run them at capacity. I load them to 22, ALL the time. I almost always shoot my big stick, even in a short COF. Shannon swears by Grams basepads for reloadability, but I just really prefer that palm-full o' Dawson.

If you're still in need, I have 4 brand new Dawson +1s here that I'd be happy to give you. Don't worry too much about capacity on a 140... for capacity you need to have a reliable big stick... and I can help you with that too.

:D

I get 25 rounds reloadable of 38 super comp in my SV 140s, Dawson plus 3 or 4 they have the purple inserts w/ grams springs and followers. I always use my big stick unless its a classifier, like shoot reload shoot reload and so on. Or unloaded on table with mags in some undesired location. I just like the feel of reloading the shorter mags .

Ah, come on, Cliff...you don't really want to shoot Open, do you? :( What tubes are you planning on using?

Since the the 140mm rule doesn't come in to play in open, what is the basepad of choice

for the 140 tubes? Is there ones out there that give enough room for an extra round?

Thank you for the offer Sharyn, I will let you know when we will be coming over to the Ruskin match.

What tubes are you planning on using?

I have the SV tubes ready to go, I just need the base pads... . ...and the gun! :wacko:

Hello: I am confused :unsure: Are the old Preban Dawson base pads what you guys are calling the +2 base pads? Dawson only makes the +1 and the SNL right now. Let me know please. Thanks, Eric

I don't know how Dawson would classify the old +2. I can look inside them and see the difference between a +2 and current bases. The slots for the bottom of the mag are higher in the base pad thus extending the useable space if memory serves me correctly.

Dawson does not make the +2 pads anymore, but they are much longer than the +1. Where you would slide the tube into the bottom (almost) of the +1, you would slide the tube lips into the top of the +2. Easily gives another round over a +1+, but would only be legal in open or with a really old short version of a 140 (like a 130).

Thank you for the offer Sharyn, I will let you know when we will be coming over to the Ruskin match.
What tubes are you planning on using?

I have the SV tubes ready to go, I just need the base pads... . ...and the gun! :wacko:

11mm grams, gram follower and 13 coil.

24 reloadable.