Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rudy Project

Rolex

Last Friday picked up my new Rudy Project

five set glasses in RX. Sat. started out bright,

used the action brown lens. As the day went

on I changed out to the racing red. Wow-

those brown targets jumped right out at me.

And as far as the cmore 8moa- no problems.

Thanks to all those that posted their comments

on this web, gave me a great amount of info. and

the perfect shooting gear-DVC :cheers:

I have two pair as well. I really like them. I would like to get another prescripted insert so I don't have to change them out. I use them at work as well as on the range. I have been mainly using the laser bronze and multi-laser red lenses. But have clear and racing red as well.

I love my rudy rydons!!! I started out with the brown tinted lenses and thought they would be the bomb. That was until one was dropped on me. I couldn't see a head target at the 2007 Area 3 match. I then learned my lesson and went to the racing red lenses and FOR ME, the racing reds are PERFECT for all conditions 'cept darkness........

Bright sunny days don't bother me at all with the racing red's. At this years Area 3 we have very few clouds and one day I flirted with switching to the brown lenses once again. I did for about 3 minutes and found they were just too dark even in the bright Nebraska sunshine. A quick switch back was needed. I'm never looking back.

You guys think those lenses are good? Try the Impact X photochromatic lenses. I have the grey and the red, but I prefer the redm Yhey work awesome from very low light where they have just a light pink tint to full intensity sun on the range where they get a bit darker than the racing red. Get out in the snow or on the water with full intensity sun and they darken more yet and actually turn blue, they get really dark when it is needed. I am blown away by how well they adapt to any light condition you might run into and you never have a problem seeing a fiber optic sight or the dot in your C-more. One lense, any light condition, absolutely love them.

Have to say I was initially skeptical, having good success with the violet lenses in my Sunbusters for several years. Thought the Tifosi's in red would be good, but they just didn't work out as well as hoped for.

But found myself with an opportunity to get a pair of Rudy's, ordered them in the racing red, and was blown away with the quality and clarity. May need to order the photo chromatic reds now to insert.

There is more to these glasses than just lens shade. They are much clearer than anything I have ever used and I have tried them all. I think I recall something to the effect that the lens shaped to be the same distance from the optical center of the eye for a larger distance across the field of view than other glasses. Whatever it is, it works for me.

You guys think those lenses are good? Try the Impact X photochromatic lenses.

My only complaint about these is they give you some very weird visuals when looking at certain things. Try looking through a tinted car window from the inside for example. You will see a rainbow of colors.

Hello: My eye doctor told me they same thing. She said that the photochromatic is not good for driving with tinted windows but great for outside use. I still want to try the Laser blue lens and RX insert. Then I will try the Impact X lens. Thanks, Eric

Any polarized lens will make UV treated glass look funny. It isn't a big deal, you get used to it very quickly.

Forgot the one thing that SUCKS with photochromatic lenses but Eric reminded me of, if you are in a vehicle with UV treated glass, ALL cars in the last 20 or more years, they won't darken much if at all. The glass screens the UV light that causes the lenses to darken.

I use the Rudy's for shooting and other outdoor sports, Ray Ban for driving and general purpose glasses.

• 4 months later...

How do the racing red lenses fair on an indoor range? I'm considering a purchase of Rydon's at the moment and want to take advantage of the Rudy Project Gear Kit Offer which would include one spare set of lenses. I was thinking Black frame / Racing Red lense primary and either:

Clear or Laser Clear (what's the difference?) for indoor range use IF the Racing Red don't work well indoors

-OR-

Polar 3FX Grey for every day driving wear

I had some Kerosene's that got stolen several years back and loved them - so considering purchasing these for both shooting eye protection and general wear. Appreciate the input!

Just get the photochromatic impact X lenses, don't worry to much about the other ones, I haven't used mine since I got my grey impact X set. No need to ever change them again. Red or grey .. its your choice.

Just get the photochromatic impact X lenses, don't worry to much about the other ones, I haven't used mine since I got my grey impact X set. No need to ever change them again. Red or grey .. its your choice.

Vlad - Only reservation I had with this was that I've heard that polarized lenses can mess with sites like the EOTECH/Holosight. Haven't confirmed this, but it was the primary reason I was avoiding them. I've read quite a bit how the Racing Red lenses help with target acquisition as well - but don't have a store locally where I can 'try them on'. Any reason you went with Gray vs. Red?

I have 2 pair of the Rudy Project Kerosones w/ a number of different lenses. I use them for shooting, bike racing, and just driving around town. The only complaint that I have about them is that the rubber nose bridge pieces become loose and get lost easily. I have to order another pair from Rudy and they charge me $6 for the pieces and $8 for shipping and handling. Go figure. No Dillon customer service here.

I have 2 pair of the Rudy Project Kerosones w/ a number of different lenses. I use them for shooting, bike racing, and just driving around town. The only complaint that I have about them is that the rubber nose bridge pieces become loose and get lost easily. I have to order another pair from Rudy and they charge me $6 for the pieces and $8 for shipping and handling. Go figure. No Dillon customer service here.
They get flexed after a time too and the lenses want to fall out.

Things must have gone down hill, as that's not the experience I had with them with the Kerosene's I owned previously. Granted that was over 7 years ago so maybe QC isn't what it once was... Any other feedback on Rudy Project 2009?

just had them do a Rx lens set (not inserts) for Rydons in August 2008.

I chose racing red. It took me sereral days to adjust to the 360 feel of Rx that I wasnt used to in my regular eyeglasses. I like them immensely.

Before I got these, I would prefer to run matches with my contacts in and normal Smith shades. I now plan on taking out my contacts a couple days before a match, because the visual clarity and separation is really phenomenal. I made the right choice, going with the racing red.

I love them.

I love them.

I will be getting more Rx lenses in the future; clear and something mirrored for high glare situations.

I love them.

I've got two sets of lenses for my Ketyums, racing red and laser grey, both of them are polarized and I've never had any issues with the red ones indoors, or when using my Aimpoints or Meopta K-Dots.

I opted for the non-photochromatic, since it takes a little time for the lenses to re-adapt when the light changes and I was worried this might cause problems when moving in and out between sunshine and shade during a stage.

Not exactly sure how the racing red compares to the photochromatic red in terms of light transmission though.

edit: It seems like the photochromatic reds have 50 to 21% light transmission and the racing red 28%, so it shouldn't be a problem using them indoors.

Edited by gose

I don't use the Rx's but I am using the FREEONs and these are amazing. They are very light and don't constrict me from breathing through my nose. I had problems with the Wiley-X and another pair that clogged me up. Changing the lenses isn't too bad. I really like Racing Red and Green 100. Those two are perfect.