Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Safety Glasses

werewolf45auto

If you don't have your eyes you can't improve on any shooting skills other than Blind fire. A few weeks ago I was shhoting a friends rifle and hand load. I was in the shade and put my SUN glasses on top my head. I took the shot and got a blast of primer,brass, smoke, and what ever else in my strong eye.

This is the third time in my life I have failed to wear safty glasses and resulted in geting my eye/eyes flushed. I never let my sun shoot with out them But I myself only wear them in the winter at matches. I've relised this time that I would rather loose my right hand and I need to be a better role moldel to both my kids.

I'm now researching Oakley sunglasses, I'm told these are the only ones ANSI impact approved. They have inchangable lennses with over 200 colors. They come at a steep price, but not to Steep for my eyes. I'm always falling back on my sunglases because I don't loose them and I seem to always grab the bag with the wrong color safty glasses in them. This way I'll have one frame that feel the same and just change the lense for the light.

So any way this is just a reminder in Safety first.

I'll put in a plug for Sunbusters which are ANSI Z87.1 approved. $110 or so get you the frame & 7 lenses in a hard case. Their prescription insert WORKS if that is a concern. I was originally attracted to them due to Bruce Piatts endorsement. Can't get much better than that, IMO.

It's good to hear there are other brands. I was going off what the Sunglasses sale women told me. I'll still probably get the Oakley's as that what they cary in my small town and Like shoe's I'm not buying them if I cant try them on first.

Edited by werewolf45auto

I have ESS ICE glasses with a RX insert. They are both ANSI rated and Mil Spec rated. They are reasonably priced and come standard with 3 lenses, clear amber and charcoal grey. You can purchase a rose-copper lense for about $12 as an adder. The rose copper lense really make those paper targets stand out! The basic glasses with the 3 lenses cost about $50 + shipping.

They deserve a look for anyone looking for shooting eyewear.

http://www.esseyepro.com/ICE-2.4-Eyeshield_24_detail.html

Mike

You can find cheap Saftey glasses that are ANSI Z87.1 approved in a color you would like.

What I don't like about the Oakley 1/2 jackets I have is they suck when wearing ear muffs. they prevent a good earseal.

now I use a pair of peltors (3 different shades) that i got for like 20 bucks.

Safety glasses aren't one of those things where "you get what you pay for". You can find safety glasses with whatever tint you want, and decent optical clarity for less than $20.

If you spend more for your safety glasses, you're doing it for fashion only (unless they are prescription).

Edited by Anon

I have ESS ICE glasses with a RX insert. They are both ANSI rated and Mil Spec rated. They are reasonably priced and come standard with 3 lenses, clear amber and charcoal grey. You can purchase a rose-copper lense for about $12 as an adder. The rose copper lense really make those paper targets stand out! The basic glasses with the 3 lenses cost about $50 + shipping.

Mike

Heh Mike - Mojo says HI!!!!

I also have the ESS glasses in the narro frame with prescription inserts. The narro frame is great if you have a thinner face. The great thing about them is that if you go on line to their site to where you order your prescription insert, and call instead of doing it on line, you actually get to talk to a real live person - named Terry - Mountain West Optical at (208) 734-3937 or at terry@mountainwestoptical.com, who makes the prescription and actually knows what a shooter needs. He spent about 20 minutes with me on the phone asking questions about my vision, how I hold my gun, what kind of reading glasses I use, etc. etc. And if something isn't right - send them back, no problem.

Terry was great and I feel confident I'm going to get what I want/need.

Donna

Mike

Heh Mike - Mojo says HI!!!!

I also have the ESS glasses in the narro frame with prescription inserts. The narro frame is great if you have a thinner face. The great thing about them is that if you go on line to their site to where you order your prescription insert, and call instead of doing it on line, you actually get to talk to a real live person - named Terry - Mountain West Optical at (208) 734-3937 or at terry@mountainwestoptical.com, who makes the prescription and actually knows what a shooter needs. He spent about 20 minutes with me on the phone asking questions about my vision, how I hold my gun, what kind of reading glasses I use, etc. etc. And if something isn't right - send them back, no problem.

Terry was great and I feel confident I'm going to get what I want/need.

Donna

I wear contacts, so I don't need prescription lenses, but my ICE Naros are great...especially for people with little heads!

I'm another fan of Rudy's. The newer Impact X/ NXT lenses are the clearest most distortion free glasses I've ever used, and I've been wearing prescription glasses for 40 years.

Watch ebay for Rudy glasses, I've gotten some most excellent deals there.

David,

Look in the yellow pages for "safety equipment." These people carry everything from ear plugs to oil spill kits but they also carry a complete line of safety glasses. With the exception of prescription lenses ( and most of them can handle that as well) they carry a complete and stylish line of safety glasses. I'm not downplaying the Rudy's or Oakley's but just letting you know that there are others available that are, IMHO, as good for a much cheaper price.

But most of all, regardless of whether they cost $2 or $200, wear them. The don't do you any good in your range bag.

Here is just one of many on a google search

Northern Equipment On-line Store

fwiw

dj

David,

Look in the yellow pages for "safety equipment." These people carry everything from ear plugs to oil spill kits but they also carry a complete line of safety glasses. With the exception of prescription lenses ( and most of them can handle that as well) they carry a complete and stylish line of safety glasses. I'm not downplaying the Rudy's or Oakley's but just letting you know that there are others available that are, IMHO, as good for a much cheaper price.

But most of all, regardless of whether they cost $2 or $200, wear them. The don't do you any good in your range bag.

Here is just one of many on a google search

Northern Equipment On-line Store

fwiw

dj

Try here http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/

I have been searching for a color of lense that I like the best. You can order some safety glasses for $5 - $10 bucks and wear them to couple of matches, determine what color/style you like then spend the real money on a good pair.

The great thing for me is I have found a $8.00 pair of safety glasses that I like better than my Willey X's.

They ship quick and I have been happy with the company. I really like the option on the website of selecting the Safety Glasses by lens color. I have settled on a light red and have been very happy with my $8.00 safety glasses. The other good thing all the safety ratings of the glasses is listed. Good Luck.

• 3 weeks later...

At Home Depot I found a "just in case" pair for my truck.

OC Safety Glasses

They're not the best looking glasses in the world, but they are pretty comfortable and ANSI rated. I'm sure that they're not as clear as Rudy or Oakley shades, but my level of shooting doesn't require the .25% of an edge that you'll get with performance eyeware.

I find myself wearing them a lot as regular sunglasses. They also allow a reasonable seal when used with earmuffs.

I do get a chuckle when I see folks wearing safety glasses that cost more than my gun. :roflol: I have worn this style for years. No, they don't have Oakley or any other sexy name but the bottom line is they work. If they get scratched or lost you don't have a heart attack. They meet every spec that the $300+ glasses do. http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/1FEU6

Safety glasses aren't one of those things where "you get what you pay for". You can find safety glasses with whatever tint you want, and decent optical clarity for less than $20.

If you spend more for your safety glasses, you're doing it for fashion only (unless they are prescription).

I used to buy those cheap shooters glasses and I'm glad you like them but there is a big difference now that I have some Rudy's. I used about 10 different brands and nothing compares to Rudy's. I'll be honest also, if it weren't for picking them off the prize table at Nationals I wouldn't have ever paid that much. Now that I have wore them it wouldn't bother me to pay a decent price for them. I can't see spending the full amount for some sunglasses and I would watch the classifieds for them. If I couldn't find them then I would break down and buy them.

Flyin

I do get a chuckle when I see folks wearing safety glasses that cost more than my gun. :roflol: I have worn this style for years. No, they don't have Oakley or any other sexy name but the bottom line is they work. If they get scratched or lost you don't have a heart attack. They meet every spec that the $300+ glasses do. http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/1FEU6

I use these too. Clear pair and Gray. They work very well with the stick on magnifying lens http://www.optx2020.com I use for my far sighted dominant eye. The lens stay put better on these safety glasses than all others I've tried.

Jim