Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Upside Down Primer

bruce282

Somehow I got a primer installed upside down. I've pulled the bullet, but I assume trying to remove the primer in the press would be a berry-berry bad idea?

Bruce

Yes it is dangerous.

Soak it in water over night and then, punch it wet.

you should be OK,,

I'm a cheep mudda and have been punching em out and reusing them for over 20 years, never had one go bang ........................

Maybe not 20 years but +1 .

Go slow and smooth & always wear safety glasses.

I'm curious, has anyone ever deprimed and upside down primer and had it go off ?

They way they are designed, the anvil needs to stay put as the cup is hit by the firing pin, crushing the primer material making it go boom. If the anvil has nothing to resist against, the whole thing will just slide right out.

Do what you want.

I have chunked them, and now and again, I keep brass, especially after pulling bullets from reloads that have not come out correctly, for some reason.

Now and again, I just can’t throw brass away. Match rifle brass for instance.

You are right I should just through them away.

But people are going to do what people are going to do.

I agree, I have never had one go bang. A nice smooth stroke and they come right out.

I'm curious, has anyone ever deprimed and upside down primer and had it go off ?

They way they are designed, the anvil needs to stay put as the cup is hit by the firing pin, crushing the primer material making it go boom. If the anvil has nothing to resist against, the whole thing will just slide right out.

Do what you want.

I've been known to deprime 'em-- I use the Dillon spent-primer-hose into a plastic bottle of water, then dispose of the bottle, primers and water all at once. I wear ears and eyes.

I figure if it does go pop, the direction of the blast will be straight down the spent primer hose, so I keep any appendages away from there too.

Long ago dillon posted that the major issue wasn't one primer popping, it was the 37th popping after you already had 36 live ones in the bin.. :surprise:

Do what you want.

Exactly. I reuse them for practice ammo. Wear eye protection.

I've taken them out when I had a crushed case or something but never had one in

upsidedown. I think it will be alright to pop it out, use a single stage press if you have one

to avoid having a poss. whole tube going off, that would be rare and bad!!

Yes my clinical diagnosis is you are quite insane.

You must now enter treatment.

For it to be effective I will need to assess the extent of your disease so I need you to box up all your shooting and reloading equipment and send it to me....Dr John :devil:

The doctor is in.

JK

Edited by JKSNIPER