Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wolf Primers

How do they work feeding in dillon equipment, and in the RF 100 primer machine?

I've had no trouble feeding them into the 650 tubes, but haven't tried the RF100.

They come out of the package all aligned and in a nice 10x10 grid, so it's easy to load tubes after just one flip.

I have had a few "dud" Wolf Small Pistol primers.. about one in 100. These are primers that will not fire regardless of how many times I whack them. Considering the cost savings of about $3/1000, it doesn't seem worth it. They're not quite as hard as CCI primers, but still pretty hard.

has anyone tried the wolf small rifle primers in an open gun? been using wsrp but they seem to be out of stock every where.

I have had issues with the SRP They don't seem to go through my machine that well and are harder to seat. I had two FTF in 400 rounds, but they could have been high primers from the seating issues. They seem to catch when seating and it makes it slow going. The pistol ones are fine though I've run 20k of those no problems.

Edited by JThompson

has anyone tried the wolf small rifle primers in an open gun? been using wsrp but they seem to be out of stock every where.

I have had issues with the SRP They don't seem to go through my machine that well and are harder to seat. I had two FTF in 400 rounds, but they could have been high primers from the seating issues. They seem to catch when seating and it makes it slow going. The pistol ones are fine though I've run 20k of those no problems.

thanks J T

I've been using WSP and Fed Small's but the availability of Wolf makes me want to try them. A friend who's used them said there was some kind of yellow powdery residue in with the primers. So his complaint was needing to clean out his primers tubes which he'd never had to do before. Anyone else experience this powdery substance?

~Mitch

I've been using WSP and Fed Small's but the availability of Wolf makes me want to try them. A friend who's used them said there was some kind of yellow powdery residue in with the primers. So his complaint was needing to clean out his primers tubes which he'd never had to do before. Anyone else experience this powdery substance?

~Mitch

Mitch, just an FYI, not saying it doesn't happen, but I haven't seen this.

• 1 year later...

I use the Wolf small and large pistol primers in my RF100, 650 and 1050. I will take them whenever I can get them. Someone called them butter. I will second that. I load commercially on a type 6 FFL. We won't go in to how many rounds I load a week. :excl:

Dillon techs have given them their blessing. If you have an older 100, get the rheostat upgrade!

Thye work fine in my 1050 but I did notice that when you fill a primer tube it is not as full as with CCI primers. I haven't measured them but I imagine there must be a slight height difference? I'm going to run some in practice to verify reliability before I run them in a match.

I have used Wolf LP,SP,SR in my 650 with no loading issues.

I like the way that are face up out of the box. Just in the last

few matches my 45 SS has had three FTF- looks like the primer

is very hard on these rounds, good contact with the FP?

No problems here with LP in SS gun with 17 m/s and c/w ultra lite combo trigger kit. . . .

feels good/

ill order more since they are available easily

+1 on the pkging

ooops, btw - dillon 650

I had to bolt the front legs of my press to the garage floor because of Wolf primers. I have always had the rear legs of my press lag bolted to the studs in the wall but just the slightest movement when seating these primers was enough to cause issues. I had some high primers until I did this but they still went bang. The issue was they appeared flattened like there were over pressure signs which wasnt the case. Since my bench fix I havent had issues and they work so I am thankful to at least have something, lol.

It is worth noting that if Winchester LP's come back I would switch back over but if there is only one choice then get the Wolf since they do work and its better then nothing.

I've used 20,000 wolf primers in a 45acp. The tubes are loaded with the RF100 without any problems caused by the primers themselves. The manufacturer keeps the boxes of 100 closed with scotch tape. If a piece of tape gets on the primer it will jam going into the tube, or if small enough jam in the tube. So be careful how you deal with the tape. There have a few out of the 20,000 that didn't go off, but not enough to get excited about. I like them.