Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"mineral" spirits

mikeAZ

<_< I think what it does is act like a very thin Oil and collect the dust that forms on the media = causing the dust to bunch up and letting me wipe it out off the top ring in the bowl after it is dumped into the separator.

It also makes the "old Dryer sheets" sticky to the dust and hold more dust in them too.

I ..Think the MS can treat its weight in dust + some.

I have the big Dillon 1200 and my media is mixed Walnut and crushed corncob so I add about four table spoons

I only put it in when the dust gets bad.

I Always use a dust mask

The Dust is ...BAD Medicine

I read about the dryer sheets. Then I read about the Nu-finish car wax. So now I put on some latex gloves and put a little nu-finish on the the dryer sheets. Adds polish, add something for the dust to bind to on the dryer sheets. Seem to work for me.

~Mitch

At one time I was trying to learn how to polish automotive aluminum.

I never did "learn" but I did buy a lot of polish from truck stops and such.

I think the mineral spirits are just a harmless carrier for the jewelers rouge.

The brass polish we use, like ROOSTER and DILLON appear, to me, to use mineral spirits in the same way.

FM

IMO, it helps keep the dust down and it really helps remove the permanent marker stripes I put on all my rounds. I clean in walnut and overall it just seems to clean better. Put your media in the tumbler, turn it on, add 3 to 5 good tablespoons and let the tumbler run for a bit to get it all mixed in. Usually 5 minutes or so. Then proceed to clean as normal.

I used to put paint thinner in when I was only using corn cobb media. I've since added brown rice to the corn cobb media, but now don't add the paint thinner (thinking it might soften the rice). Anybody add mineral spirits / paint thinner to rice?

Is it OK to do this with media that has allready had some form of polish in it?

My media did and the brass looks good , The best part I like about the mineral spirits is that I do not have .."That Dust" on my fingers when I handel the brass after tumbleing.

"That Dust" on my fingers when I handel the brass after tumbleing.

Latex gloves from Costco are super cheap, so I've just started wearing gloves for processing/sorting brass (along with resparator) and when cleaning guns or loading ammo.

~Mitch

I always add a couple of capfuls to my tumbler when I add polish, then I'll let it run about 5 minutes or so before adding the brass. Keeps the polish (I use the Franklin Arsenal polish from Midway) from clumping and the brass seems to be a little cleaner and maybe a little less dusty overall.

Mineral spirits is a pretty good cleaner-off-er of a number of things (and not very harmful to brass or tumblers)... which is sorta what the point of tumbling is.. at least that's why I tumble brass.

Mineral Spirits, Paint Thinner, Stoddard Solvent...all the same thing. This petroleum distillate is not only what cleans up oil based paints, but is also a solvent additive in a great many cleaners and degreasers. Best way to clean up the dust when you're sanding between coats of stain or oil based paint on wood trim is a rag soaked in mineral spirits.

The subject brings up odd memories:

Up until the early 1980's my family's retail paint store bought the stuff in bulk, stored it in a 500 gallon tank, and pumped it into old gallon milk jugs for resale to customers. I wonder if the bulk supplier closed or the if the insurance agent found out...

Don't ever hang a mineral spirits soaked rag from your pocket...you'll end up with nice, burning rash in a short time. Just trust me.

Well, now I know they whys of mineral spirits.... Thanks, for the info. HA, HA, I too know about the rag in the pocket... Worked at Dad's gas station many years ago...

Well, now I know they whys of mineral spirits.... Thanks, for the info. HA, HA, I too know about the rag in the pocket... Worked at Dad's gas station many years ago...

whats the dryer sheet for

very interesting...we got gallons of the stuff layin around the place and its only like 7 bucks a gallon anyways...ive never heard of it bfor but you guys on this forum have awesome info so im gonna try....im also confused as to what the dryer sheet does....more info please :)

Dryer sheet gets real black after a single use, so I figure that its collecting the dust or more important the Lead. Cost is nil so I keep doing it.

I don't think adding mineral spirts is bad its just I don't. Now I do change my media at least twice a year. That's important to getting the lead out

There was a time when it bothered me to have the left over lubricant from Hornady One-Shot on my completed rounds. I found that if I put a couple of tablespoons of mineral spirits in the media and tumble the loaded rounds for twenty minutes or so, I would have that nice "shine" that looks like new brass.

After a while I decided cleaning the residue off didn't make the gun run any better or the rounds feed better so I just stopped using it.

fwiw

dj

For dust, I have filter on a box fan in my shop, and I actually pour my media back forth between two pans in front of the fan. I wear a respirator and latex gloves for this operation. The dust comes off and sticks to the filter. I do this after every load of brass.

I don't use mineral spirits, but I do use a couple capfulls of automotive antifreeze to charge a new batch of media, and another cap for each batch of shells. The water evaporates, the glycol keeps a tiny bit of liquid in the media, and the small fraction of anticorrosives and waterpump seal lubricants keeps my clean brass from tarnishing. We used a similar set of additiives at Remington (I worked there in the early 1980's) in the final wash and polish of brass prior to loading, and for the same reason.

Billski

I really am so mad I read this thread! I read it when it was started and wondered who has trouble with dust? Been reloading for a decade and never had an issue.

Dumped a load out of the tumbler tonight and had a cloud that would could have been seen a mile away if it were daylight. I was better off being ignorant....

Mineral Spirits, Paint Thinner, Stoddard Solvent...all the same thing. This petroleum distillate is not only what cleans up oil based paints, but is also a solvent additive in a great many cleaners and degreasers. Best way to clean up the dust when you're sanding between coats of stain or oil based paint on wood trim is a rag soaked in mineral spirits.

The subject brings up odd memories:

Up until the early 1980's my family's retail paint store bought the stuff in bulk, stored it in a 500 gallon tank, and pumped it into old gallon milk jugs for resale to customers. I wonder if the bulk supplier closed or the if the insurance agent found out...

Don't ever hang a mineral spirits soaked rag from your pocket...you'll end up with nice, burning rash in a short time. Just trust me.

I must be thinking of something else.

I thought you could drink mineral spirits without any problems. Holy Cow! :roflol:

You can buy what I'm thinking of at the drug store.

Mineral Oil?

FM

FM,

don't even think about drinking mineral spirits. It ain't good fer ya :surprise:

what you are thinking about is mineral oil. here is a snippet from wikipedia:

Medicine

Mineral paraffinic oil is sometimes taken orally as a laxative. It lubricates feces and intestinal mucous membranes, and limits the amount of water removed from feces. Typically, mineral oil is effective within as little as six hours. While it has been reported that mineral oil may be absorbed when emulsified, most information shows that it passes harmlessly through the gastrointestinal system.

If used at all, mineral oil should never be given internally to young children, pets, or anyone with a cough, hiatus hernia, or nocturnal reflux, and should be swallowed with care. Due to its low density, it is easily aspirated into the lungs, where it cannot be removed by the body and can cause serious complications such as lipoid pneumonia.[3] While popular as a folk remedy, there are many safer alternatives available. In children, if aspirated, the oil can work to prevent normal breathing, resulting in death of brain cells and permanent paralysis. Mineral oil can also be dangerous to baby skin.[4]

the emphasis is mine. Use something else if you need it :devil:

dj

FM,

don't even think about drinking mineral spirits. It ain't good fer ya :surprise:

(snip)

dj

A daily dose of mineral oil is very important if there's too much lead in your diet. Mineral oil is key in helping to prevent lead fouling of the sphincter muscles. Lead build-up here can result in high peak pressures and y'all know that exceeding maximum proof test pressure would get ugly. :closedeyes:

bumper

FM,

what you are thinking about is mineral oil. here is a snippet from wikipedia:

Medicine

Mineral paraffinic oil is sometimes taken orally as a laxative. It lubricates feces and intestinal mucous membranes, and limits the amount of water removed from feces. Typically, mineral oil is effective within as little as six hours. While it has been reported that mineral oil may be absorbed when emulsified, most information shows that it passes harmlessly through the gastrointestinal system.

If used at all, mineral oil should never be given internally to young children, pets, or anyone with a cough, hiatus hernia, or nocturnal reflux, and should be swallowed with care. Due to its low density, it is easily aspirated into the lungs, where it cannot be removed by the body and can cause serious complications such as lipoid pneumonia.[3] While popular as a folk remedy, there are many safer alternatives available. In children, if aspirated, the oil can work to prevent normal breathing, resulting in death of brain cells and permanent paralysis. Mineral oil can also be dangerous to baby skin.[4]

dj

Yep, I forgot.

I used to use lacquer thinner to clean my Graco airless paint sprayer and then finish with mineral spirits to leave the inside of the sprayer oiled up.

Twenty years ago I had a job in which we sprayed mineral oil for temporary protection. You absolutely do not want to breathe it.

Thanks!

FM