Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Area 8 chrono question

chrisa006

I got 170 at home over the same setup (CED with IR in a closed, blackened box) on 3 different occasions. At A8, ammo loaded at the same time, same bullets, same lot of primers, same jug of N310 went 168. Elevation, temperature and humidity were about the same.

I thought so. I've chrono'd 3 times in the last 2 months and came out with about a 168pf consistently. Area 8 had it at 179pf. I figure some was temp, some was elevation gain, but that was a big jump.

Mine loads were slightly slower at A8 than the previous weekend. Stage 7 was my first stage so we were the first to chrono on Sat morning. It was definitely cooler than the previous weekend.

• 1 month later...
Elevation Change?

Danbury, CT 397 Ft

Alverton, PA 1181 Ft

I really doubt that elevation had anything to do with the chrono reading differences. I shot ammo at summer blast from a lot I loaded and shot regularly in CO. It chronoed 130-132pf in CO and it chronoed 131pf at summer blast. Thats about a 6000ft change in elevation.

Chrono's are funny insturments, and virtually impossible to calibrate. There are just too many factors that could be in play for a different chrono reading from both the chrono and the ammo. Just control what you can, shoot hot enough that you don't miss your mark and use good reloading practices for consistant lots of ammo. Know what readings on your chrono are compared to other chronos. Get a base line from shooting over as many chrono's as possible with the same lot of ammo. It's all you can really do.

Most of these changes can probably be attributed to differences in temp between when you test fired it, and where you shot it.

I test my ammo in a temp controlled indoor range (72). It does not take a very significant change in temp to mess a little with your loads. 10 deg either way will make a very noticeable change. Kind of need to watch the time of day you crono. If you crono early in the morning before the temp has come up (and before you have fired your gun for the day) your fps will be a lot lower than if you crono at noon, after putting 100 rounds through your barrel.

Ahh... here I am preaching to the choir. :)

Frank

Now that we have brought Summer Blast into this, let me post my results. Using the same ammo bunch made at the time of A8, at Summer Blast I came in at 139PF. So my load usually runs at 136-138 (closer to 138), was 139 at SB and 141 at A8. Still in the ball park. Works for me. Original calibration on a Master Beta Shooting Chrony at an indoor range.

I could tell no difference in the feel of the gun between A8 and SB other than that I did much better at SB.

Edited by vluc

Mine was 136.x at A8 (no idea how big x was) and 136.4 at the Blast. It comes in at 135 at home. They weren't loaded in the same batch, but they were the same recipe.