Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Problem shooters at local club matches

I apologize if this is the wrong topic to list this under.

I'm wondering how other clubs deal with childish adults like some of the ones I've seen at our local matches. Mostly, I would characterize it as people just being childish a&&holes. As one of the folks responsible for two of our local clubs I don't like how some of this is perceived by new shooters and non-shooters alike. However, I don't want to overreact and start giving DQ's for name calling or bickering either.

Chris

I think it depends on the situation and what exactly is going on... you can't make it a zero fun environment or that could have negative implications as well. There are times it's okay to joke around and time to be serious. If I am talking/joking with the guys, I always shut up and turn my attention to the shooter at the MR command. I want my eyes on the guy/lady with the gun when they are hot. Other than that joking and camaraderie is a big part of why I love the sport and the people in it. If it's arguing or name calling then I would step in as an RO, but other than that... let the boys play. If it's a safety issue then it needs to be looked at.

my 2c

JT

I think it depends on the situation and what exactly is going on... you can't make it a zero fun environment or that could have negative implications as well. There are times it's okay to joke around and time to be serious. If I am talking/joking with the guys, I always shut up and turn my attention to the shooter at the MR command. I want my eyes on the guy/lady with the gun when they are hot. Other than that joking and camaraderie is a big part of why I love the sport and the people in it. If it's arguing or name calling then I would step in as an RO, but other than that... let the boys play. If it's a safety issue then it needs to be looked at.

my 2c

JT

+1

I guess it depends on the level of the perceived immaturity ...

Some folks are 100% no-nonsense folks while others (Cliff comes to mind) are 75% goof off's, but are a lot of fun.

As long as safety is not compromised, let them have fun.

Edited by L9X25

I may have misstated my concern. I do not in any way have a problem with folks joking around and having a good time. I would be the last person who should make such a claim :P I'm the biggest 5 year old around when I don't have a gun in my hand.

No, I'm talking about being an A&& because they don't like something or someone. This taken all the way from just grumbling, which is expected, all the way up to being confrontational and aggressive toward other shooters. A few people are just acting in the most disruptive and belligerent way possible simply because they don't get their way. I don't think this type of behavior has any place in an action shooting environment.

Now, with some individuals it is possible to correct this simply by talking to them. However, with others, the worst of the lot, it would be a waste of time to talk to them about it because they don't think anyone has any place talking to them about their behavior.

Chris

I don't think this type of behavior has any place in an action shooting environment.

This type of behavior has no place anywhere in our society - IMHO.

However, with others, the worst of the lot, it would be a waste of time to talk to them about it because they don't think anyone has any place talking to them about their behavior.

You could always refuse to let them shoot your match. Make it known to them and all that unless their behavior changes, they are not welcome. Losing one or two shooters this way is no big deal. Think of all the people you lose by letting them stay.

Refuse their entry fee. I have a bit of personal history with the issue, and my opinion is that a strong discussion with the offending shooter is the first step. If that doesn't work then unsportsmanlike conduct DQ, followed by no longer allowing that shooter to participate. No, it is not an easy thing to do, and it sucks to deal with this sort of issues for a hobbie but it the match director needs to do this.

I have seen really bad examples of this, people who think that no one else

is at the range but them and their issues !!! :angry2:

Leave it at home, get it out of my face, I paid my $18 bucks too so shut up and

deal with it on your own time. We had a guy that we sent a certified letter to his

house stating he was not allowed to return. What dumb fu***** A&s****s !!! :angry2::angry2:

Problem is we live in this kick and scream culture now !!! Put this in HATE forum cause I

hate As*H*&*^ TOO!!!! ;)

Edited by DIRTY CHAMBER

Thanks for the suggestions. My opinion too is to give a warning (maybe) and then DQ and refuse their fee for further matches. I just kind of wanted to get other opinions on whether this is too harsh for nonsafety related issues.

Chris

Ok, so if they don't like the people they are shooting with make it easy for them....THROW THEM OUT! This is a "let's all get together" kind of sport and the day it stops being that for me is the day I find a new sport. If I didn't like the people I wouldn't have a reason to do it.

Edited by dcarter

Throw them out.

Tell them not to return.

Agreed... I have never seen this in our sport, but if I did I would bounce them in a heartbeat. They get one more chance next time around... if they can't get past it they are banned for good.

Edited by JThompson

As match director take them aside and explain your situation and how they are making it where they are going to be banned from the match if it continues. Also let them know that if it continues not only will they be banned from your club but also you will be filing a warning to Uspsa for their actions. It would not be the first time someone has been ejected from the organization or will it probably be the last. Also if there are any police in the match have them assist in explaining to the person that any further actions or attitude will be delt with not only on a local level but also a legal component will be added. Jesus, if they dont like someone in the squad, why wouldnt they just move to a different one as the squads are probably pretty flexible. We had a situation probably like the one you are describing at our local match about 8 or 9 years ago and the match director along with the section coordinator pulled the parties aside and explained the implications to the 2 individuals and they calmed down. 1 quit within a year and the other is still shooting.

>>Also if there are any police in the match have them assist in explaining to the person that any further actions or attitude will be delt with not only on a local level but also a legal component will be added.<<

Really bad idea to get people arrested at your pistol match.

Just get them off the grounds.

Is the problem between two particular people, or is it between one person and the rest?

If the former, you can usually solve the problem by splitting them up. If the latter, then usually pointing out the problem is step one, Step Two is a DQ for USLC and if the person continues in the same vein, refusing their entry fee for subsquent matches is always an option.

Sadly BTDT.

Jim

Tick has a real problem here, mostly starting with OLDER SHOOTERS, who have been around a while and don't like the way they preceive things going. USPSA rules are starting to be enforced, and it take "some of the fun" out of things for some people. Few, if any of his problem folks have taken a leadership role in the last five years or more, but kibitz from the sideline. Few would be a loss to the club, and new member retention would go up.

OOMV

Don't know if this applies to your situation but here in Italy almost any association, being it for sporting purposes or whatever, has a discipline board, which is entitled to act against members of the association whose behaviour is not what it's supposed to be.

If a memeber of an association gets reported (formally, by the association president or BoD member) to the discipline board he might face:

1. verbal reprimand (1st warning)
  2. written reprimand (2nd warning)
  3. temporary suspension from association activity
  4. banning from the association

As MD, if the troublemakers are from a different club, I'd:

1. explain them the problem (1st occurrence)
  2. explain the problem to the president of their club (2nd occurrence)
  3. will not accept their match registration (3rd occurrence)

When my club has faced this very problem the shooters got together, discussed it as a group and then they asked me to tone it down or take a DQ and go home..... :ph34r:

I just leave, go home and be rude to the wife, at which point shes reminds me "You gotta sleep sometime"............... The lifetime channel ain't so bad. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

When my club has faced this very problem the shooters got together, discussed it as a group and then they asked me to tone it down or take a DQ and go home..... :ph34r:

I just leave, go home and be rude to the wife, at which point shes reminds me "You gotta sleep sometime"............... The lifetime channel ain't so bad. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I hear that all the time from my wife too. I do sometimes wake up with marks on me. She says I do them myself in my sleep.

I don't believe her.

Chris