Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Problem shooters at local club matches

• 2 weeks later...
Tick has a real problem here, mostly starting with OLDER SHOOTERS, who have been around a while and don't like the way they preceive things going. USPSA rules are starting to be enforced, and it take "some of the fun" out of things for some people. Few, if any of his problem folks have taken a leadership role in the last five years or more, but kibitz from the sideline. Few would be a loss to the club, and new member retention would go up.

OOMV

I saw this very thing happen a local match I went to last weekend. The MD was upset over shooters on a squad calling him over and pointing out that the entire stage was not legal and their were non legal targets. An argument ensued with another club member and people almost went home - after more shooters got involved it was calmed down and the parties parted ways and finished the match. It is imperative that we enforce USPSA rules for all the matches as much as we can in a reasonable way and when there is an argument, get as many people involved to talk it out first. If there is more problems, even with a match director, get them off the range for the day.

• 2 years later...

Had a similar situation but on a much more severe level, safety violations. Multiple verbal warnings, written warning and finally brought up in front of the club's Board of Directors. He was given a 6 month suspension. When he returned, the situation was worse. He started stealing money by keeping the funds that he collected as a range officer. The last straw was he decided that he didn't have to obey the cold range rules and had a loaded weapon in an open case sitting on the range bench when people were downrange.

That earned him a lifetime ban from the club. It still didn't change his ways and he continued to think that the rules just didn't apply to him. Last I heard, he was banned from other clubs for flagrant safety violations.

HH

Sometimes these older shooters do the temper tantrum thing because it has worked for them in the past or they have gotten over on match directors that wont stand up to them because of who they might be. If you are in a leadership position at a match you need to man up and lead. If you cant do that you probably need to pass the hat.

One case for me(not running a match) Pistola broke on 2nd shot 1st stage at a local match(retaining pin, did not have spare, nor could I find any on the cars in parking lot :angry2:) So being a good man I stayed and ran the clip borad as that seems to get bounced around. While running the clip board got flustered a few times mixed up some papers, etc. There was one guy, just about every stage that had to make a few comments about the way i was handly things. Needless to say there I am stayed and helped, could not shoot anymore and guy making comments. I can say, that if something happens like that again (gun brakes or DQ) if he is in the squad, i will not be staying or I will be a paster.