Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Suddenly burned out

wooddog

I run it as a shooting season. From early November to late March or early April I do no shooting at all. I will start dry fire around mid-March. This makes me hungry for it again. I just can't waite for the first shot again.

it happens..don't beat up on yourself..take a break.

even the most competitive have to lay off and rejuvenate..

take some time off shooting..or find another game to shoot for a short time..

skeet is always a hoot, bullseye is always interesting. long range rifle is a great challenge.

and check out my little signature under my avatar..it says I'm burned out too.. :roflol:

Edited by eerw

it happens..don't beat up on yourself..take a break.

even the most competitive have to lay off and rejuvenate..

take some time off shooting..or find another game to shoot for a short time..

skeet is always a hoot, bullseye is always interesting. long range rifle is a great challenge.

and check out my little signature under my avatar..it says I'm burned out too.. :roflol:

Their you go! Do all that and think 3 Gun!!! My pistol skills have gone down hill. But keeping up with all the equipment, and training needed for the other two guns. Will expand the hobby in many other directions.

Join the fun!

Jim M ammo

Take some time off.

Open a bottle of Hoppes #9 in a few months. :)

Fact is, our sense of smell is the most powerful memory trigger we have.

You'll be back soon. Enjoy your break.

Jim M

I think everyone hits that point at one time or another. As others have pointed out, find something else to play with.

With every day of the week feeling as though I was either loading, practicing, dry firing, cleaning my guns, setting up for a match, etc. and only having a B card to show for it, I was ready to pack it in. I shot A8 this weekend with no expectations and, even though I wound up with a less than stellar performance (lack of practice shows), I came back with a real understanding of what I need to work on, where I was better than I thought I was, and actually felt better about the sport. It somewhat reenergized me to where I may keep playing this silly game for another few years.

Take some time off and let the pressure melt away for awhile.

I was getting there for a bit... I grabbed up a gun I never shoot (production) and had some fun with it. You might try shooting something you don't unless you shoot everything already... hell, go grab a shotgun and shoot some trap. :)

If that doesn't appeal to you I suggest you take some time off. If your heart isn't in it you won't learn shit and it's to expensive to throw lead downrange if you aren't learning and having fun.

Best

Oh Boy!! New help you are so right! Getting other people involved is a big help,,, misery loves good company.

I know I look forward to some out of state matches, just because I don't have to work them.

I know at the morning brief, when I'm the range master.

I'll tell people we need your help. Many of our club are Military, of are retired Military. So nicely kicking someone in the a%^& to help is a sign of love. They get it. But new shooters need love and training. So during the match. You know who the guys are that have been shooting a few months.

At some point, hand the clip board, to someone and have them write, wile you score. And in a few runs. They say hey this is not that bad.

I get it, I can do this.!!

It has worked in our club.

We do have a hard corp crew of retired and semi retired guys that. Are our secret weapon, that gets the nitty gritty. Stuff done.

So at least for the match, some others need to step up. Build good members. Like raising kids and training Solders.

It helps our sport in many ways.

Even Burn out!

Jim M ammo

• 2 weeks later...

I wasn't burnt out, but I think I had hit a plateau in my skill development and C.O.F. management.

I didn't shoot a whole lot the last 18 months with my oldest playing football, and childcare issues for the little guy, and having my L wrist scoped last August.

I ended up not shooting or even handling my guns for about 8 months.

I came back out to the range in April and shot production, and more or less stunk up the place.

Last month was a bit better, and this past weekend for the 12th Annual Oregon Single Stack and Oregon Plastic Gun matches I felt pretty good.

Now I have that burning desire to shoot, and feel my mental approach to this game is better than ever.

I did the same thing over the last winter, might I make another suggestion:

Practice less, but practice better.

I tend to kick myself if I don't get out to the range twice a week, and sometimes I get in a downward "haven't practiced, might as well not practice" spiral. I've found that if I go to the range once a week and really concentrate on improving skills, not just throwing rounds downrange, then I'm more satisfied with dryfire the rest of the week. I also bought a .22 conversion, which cures my qualms about how much money I spend on practice.

H.

All of that is good food for thought. I have in fact backed off, changed to limited 10, ordered new 10 round mags for the SW945, switched the press from .38super to .45, encouraged the girlfriend to assist in the score keeping, (I cannot reveal my secret but it did not involve money), let the rest of the crew take care of set up, (which they did a great job as always!)

Thanks!

Another thing is...direction.

It's good to have a goal to work towards. And, when you approach a goal, it is important to have another goal ready to go.

It is real easy to flounder. A goal will give you direction.

All of that is good food for thought. I have in fact backed off, changed to limited 10, ordered new 10 round mags for the SW945, switched the press from .38super to .45, encouraged the girlfriend to assist in the score keeping, (I cannot reveal my secret but it did not involve money), let the rest of the crew take care of set up, (which they did a great job as always!)

Thanks!

Feeling burned out but still working the match has got to be a bad combo.

Good work on the changes - and good luck with it!

be

Over the last couple of months I have just lost the interest to practice. Still go to mt local match each month and set up and do the scores but other than that...

Right there next to you but I am loosing interest in the matches too. Sat set up has never been easy for me with the work schedule (you know the drill) but I don't practice, I don't enjoy the matches, and I am so damn tired of all the bitching.

Shot the MA IDPA championship yesterday. Tanked stages I never should have due to poor preparation. I have decided to become a new shooter again to see if I can get the desire back. This week I start on basic drills again and taking a good look at me to get me fixed. I am the problem and no one else. If I can fix me, I can get back into the game.

what you do Wooddog is greatly appreciated by most. They just never say so. The rest will never be happy with anything. :angry2:

Gary

Edit to add, I am going back to revolver too. I like the punishment :rolleyes:

Edited by Round_Gun_Shooter

• 2 weeks later...

Shot an IDPA match for the first time in a long time... felt good, nice change of pace and I did OK. Coming back into it and will stick with lim 10 for the season I think. See if i can move up to B or so...

• 5 months later...

So, after the summer of Motorcycle accident, time recouping, physical therapy, being burned out, our range going through some changes and not getting to shoot much at all... I'm ready to get back into the thick of it again.

Gonna clean up the reloading room and get it nice and clean and organized the way I had it last winter. Load up a big batch of ammo each for the Super, .45 and 9 mm and .223. Hell I'm even gonna strip clean my guns...(well maybe)

I'll set up a couple of local steel matches this winter and see if I can get a slot for the S&W Winter Nationals.

Feels good!