Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What part of the country has the most shooting?

So the wife and I have discussed on & off the idea of moving to a different part of the country. If we did, it would have to be somewhere that has plenty of shooting available. I currently live in the Northeast so I only get to really shoot from April to October except for maybe one indoor IDPA match per month during the winter. Even during the warmer months I have to drive at least an hour to the nearest match. Ideally I would want to move someplace warmer than where I am. I enjoy shooting both IDPA and USPSA. So tell me, what area has the most year round shooting available if I did choose to relocate?

Florida ... Texas ... California

Arizona?

No, there is no shooting in Arizona. ;)

Texas, definitely.

Arizona

From what I understand there are a lot of shooters in CA, but I would steer clear of there. Too many wacky-ass laws to deal with.

New Mexico is nice. Sparsly populated, but you have to take into account about 2/3 of the state is a rifle range it's not so bad. And you happen to be right between Texas and Arizona.

The southeast is typically a good place for shooters. Florida, as has been previously mentioned has several places around the state to shoot. Georgia has 2-3 large clubs that shoot year round particularly in the Atlanta area. Alabama has several clubs within a 50 mile or so radius of Birmingham and our small club in Mobile. Mississippi has a large club in Jackson and in Louisiana, there is a large shooting presence in the south as well as the Clark range in Shreveport. Tennessee has large clubs in the Nashville and Memphis area and although I'm not at all familiar with South Carolina, they too shoot a lot. A lot of these shoot several disciplines such as ICORE, IDPA as well as IPSC. The Atlanta area also has some steel shoots occasionally.

The weather is sometimes rainy and muggy with light snows in the winter in some areas and blazing heat in the summer, but we get to shoot year round. :cheers:

FWIW

dj

Surprisingly New Jersey has a lot of shooting. Between USPSA, Steel, and IDPA, I think you can't make all the matches because of overlap and every day of every weekend is taken. This doesn't count other game like Cowboy, clay games, etc, etc. Also being a small state (area wise) all the matches are within easy reach. I would say its weired seeing how the laws suck here, but I guess with a high population density it makes sense that there are enough shooters to have more matches then a single person can possibly attend.

Lived in St. Louis 3 years. You can shoot 2 - 3 matches a week within driving distance. I was shooting 2 steel matches, 1 IDPA and 1 USPSA per month just at the range I belonged to.

Rik

Edited by Rik

Kentucky isn't too bad.

I have about 6 USPSA match choices within an ~hour each month. There's also a steel challenge and ICORE monthly within an hour.

An additional benefit is you can marry your cousin.

Dave

Kentucky isn't too bad.

I have about 6 USPSA match choices within an ~hour each month. There's also a steel challenge and ICORE monthly within an hour.

An additional benefit is you can marry your cousin.

Dave

Your wife won't like it if you do that.

Mesa/Phoenix Metro by far. Nothing like 4-5 IPSC/USPSA matches....per week w/in a 30 minute radius.

California: Northern = 6-7 matches/month w/in a 1 hour radius + 3-Gun and LR rifle. Southern, same, if not more.

Texas: I imagine there's someplace to shoot in any direction.

Rich

Georgia.

No question about it.

The weather is warm enought to shoot year round.

If you live in the Atlanta area you can shoot somewhere nearby every weekend.

There is at least one indoor club that shoots one night (Wednesday I think) every week.

There are quite a few shooters in the Georgia section so the level of competition is quite high.

Furthermore, the laws in Georgia are gun friendly relative to most other states. Maybe that's why there are so many clubs.

You can definately burn a lot of powder in the Peach state.

Tony

Edited by 38superman

Try a PM to member Steve J. He has a really cool map of just about every club in Texas, with name, location what and when they shoot. And there is a bunch. Central Texas is a shooting Mecca.

Click on the link at the bottom of my signature. "Check out my map."