Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hand Guards

D.Hayden

At the X3 match last weekend.. one stage (Stage 7) - had the rifle sitting in the sun for quiet a while before it was picked up for use.

In 104+ temperatures, my JP handguard got hot enough to burn my hand, as well as a few others that I saw out there.

I couldn't use a glove, it was a combo stage, and I can't load weak handed with a glove on.

I was thinking about wrapping lightweight bandage gauze or something?

Anybody have any good tricks to help out with this?

Well, I appreciate the $$$ you have in the JP handguard, but you could try a carbon fiber one. I've not expierenced everheating issues with mine.

I've also seen pics here on the forum of guys wrapping sections of a handguard with para cord. Looks good too.

Edited by ken hebert

Keep it out of the sun!!!!!

I keep mine in the case until i'm ready to shoot, Carbon fiber will get hot enough to keep you from wanting to grab it, but usually not from sitting in the sun. Keeping it in the case also keeps it out of dust, and I've never had a problem with putting it in right after shooting even when it was hot to the touch. it works for SG as well.

trapr

This time we didn't have a choice. It was in the bag, in the sun (they wanted them staged), until I came up - we staged the rifle, then went to the shotgun half of the stage, with that staging, loading and firing that part, by the time I got to pick up the rifle.. that handguard was hotter than crap.

On my 20 inch Colt upper I use the carbon pri handguard ,on my 18 '' JP the viking tactics alu handguard.

The carbon one never gets extremly hot,the viking did but since i took off the JP alu heatsink it does not get too hot too hold it anymore.

The heatsink comes very close to the handguard,I also had some accuracy problems in the beginning due to the heatsink.

The screw for my bipod touched it when i rested the rifle on the bipod so my poi kept shifting up and down ,i took a while (and a lot of stress ) before I found out what the problem was.

I do not use the heatsink anymore

Dave,

A CF handguard helps, but like Trapr, have found that they can get nasty hot too. In the rare instances of long stage setups like that, it's almost unavoidable. A glove wouldn't hurt, especially if you use one for reloading your shotgun. I don't use one, but do keep a weight lifting glove in the bag, just in case someone else needs a loaner.

I'm surprised that they didn't do pre-loading of the shotguns though. That's a HUGE time saver.

Rich

How to paracord wrap your FF tube:

1) Obtain paracord of your chosen color. I recommend "real" 550 parachute cord, with white strands inside a colored outer sheath, rather than the braided stuff you get at WalMart.

2) Cut the paracord to length. For a plain-vanilla aluminum FF tube, you will need about 4 feet of paracord for every inch of tube you want to cover. Once cut, heat-seal the ends to prevent fraying.

3) Cut another length of paracord to approximately 18" long, fold in half, and then tie a knot with the loose ends to create a loop about 9" long.

4) Soak the longer length of paracord (from step 2) in water until its saturated, then shake off the excess water.

5) Starting with one cut end of the wet paracord near the middle of the FF tube, lay the paracord lengthwise along the tube towards the end you want to start wrapping. Now start wrapping the paracord around the tube, keeping things as tight as you can and working your way towards the opposite end. The wrapping will cover the first several inches you had initially layed lengthwise, thus preventing it from unravelling.

6) When you get within about 5" of the end, lay the 9" long loop of paracord lengthwise on the FF tube (knot towards the center of the FF tube), then continue wrapping the paracord so as to cover this loop. This loop needs to protrude about 2" at each end.

7) When you get to the end of the FF tube, insert the loose end of paracord through the protruding loop, and then pull on the opposite end of the loop so that the loose end of paracord is pulled under the wrapping.

8) Cut off any remaining loose ends of paracord, and heat seal.

I hope the above is clear. Once the paracord dries, it will tighten down nicely and prevent the wrapping from unravelling. The paracord wrapping on the rifles shown in my post above was done several years ago, and has withstood hard 3-gun use with impunity. It still looks as good as it did the day I put it on. Of all the FF tubes I have ever handled, my paracord wrapping is by far the coolest to hold. I encourage you to try it and see what you are missing.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

What a bunch of wussie's. Use carbon fibre fore end & grip it & rip it. However if you see me with something on mine , it's because I'm old.

So, what is on yours then Benny?

:popcorn:

I couldn't use a glove, it was a combo stage, and I can't load weak handed with a glove on.

Anybody have any good tricks to help out with this?

A good quality Golf Glove would work NO problem. Foot-Joys StaySoft model is the best in the business!!!! Reloading is not a problem at all for pistol etc... A couple of the Bahamians use them all the time. My hands are like old leather, so no need.

:blizzard:

Edited by zhunter

I have a Clark CF handguard on one of my uppers and a JP on another.

As noted the Clark will heat up more from shooting than the JP. But the JP will heat up more from the sun than the Clark. :goof:

If you don't need to hang anything on the handguard --- JP Homie sight, lights, etc --- the Clark is a good handguard. Mine is also wrapped with paracord to reduce the heat transferred to the hand.

If you got the ducats get the PRI handguard...

http://www.pri-mounts.com/mm5/merchant.mvc...e=AR15_M16_FRMS

Best of both worlds. Made of carbon fiber, the attachment to the nut is by threads (not glued on like the Clark) and you can attach accessories to the handguard without any mods (like you do with the Clark). It's also lighter than the JP.

Taran and a lot of "top" shooters use the PRI handguard.

• 4 weeks later...

Last weekend's rifle match my JP handguards got hotter than hell. by the last stage I was holding the rifle by the magwell. :angry:

I had the day off so I stopped by my local Army Surplus store. they had spools of Paracord.

I found this on the web.

paracordwrap.jpg

So I tried it, not sure if I like it or not. the JP vent holes and looped cord make it look lumpy

IMGP4643.jpg

So I tried it, not sure if I like it or not. the JP vent holes and looped cord make it look lumpy

It may look like ass, but at least your hand will be cool :D . A design suggestion if I may: black paracord will probably look better.

Edited by StealthyBlagga