Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Will USPSA ever allow other single stack guns?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt it. It was created as a place for those of us with single stack 1911s to shoot them in a division where they'd be competitive, and basically accepted the 1911 Society rules intact.

USPSA HQ probably noticed what happened at the IDPA Nationals last year, too. CDP division was supposed to be IDPA's home for 1911 single stack .45; the highest 1911 came in fourth, behind Sevigny/Glock, Olhasso/XD, and Langdon/M&P.

One of the nice things about the IDPA nationals is that the guy who won HOA, (Donnie Burton) ran a 1911. Nice young man as well.

Ed's right (though Donnie shot in a different division [ESP] with a 9x19) except that HOA isn't an official award...even though everyone reads the score sheets. :) I've never met Donnie, but everything I've heard about him echoes Ed's remarks. We've got some great young men and women in these sports!

Single Stack is the "roots" Division. It is for a 1911 and always will be. That is just the way it is and I don't think there will be any change.

The Sig is now available in a single action only design and it is a nice pistol. Sig didn't do their homework if it was designed as a competition pistol. It just doesn't quite fit anywhere. Limited 10 is the only division I can think of and I have yet to see any 10 round mags for the 220.

Good Luck

Single Stack is the "roots" Division. It is for a 1911 and always will be. That is just the way it is and I don't think there will be any change.

The Sig is now available in a single action only design and it is a nice pistol. Sig didn't do their homework if it was designed as a competition pistol. It just doesn't quite fit anywhere. Limited 10 is the only division I can think of and I have yet to see any 10 round mags for the 220.

Good Luck

10 rounders are there. They are just expensive.

More wishfull thinking I guess.

g10

Naw.... JMB all the way. From the original 1911 in .355 caliber to the later developed 1911 in .45 we are all accustomed to seeing his 1911s chambered for - it will alway be a 1911 ONLY division.... :cheers:

post-400-1211116958.jpg

(It took me a while to find a Longhorn version :rolleyes: )

Later,

Chuck

Will USPSA ever allow other single stack guns into Single Stack Division? Im mainly talking about the Sig 220. They have got all kinds of 220's out now that would be some damn good competitors against the 1911's.

g10

I don't think so. The history of 1911 had its own turbulence

When I jumped into the game there were only Limited and Open divisions. Some states came up with idea that any handgun cannot hold more than 10 rounds. So, USPSA adapted to this nonsense in rather positive way, i.e. created Lim 10 division. Here 1911 with ten round magazines were dominant. I enjoyed this division myself and loved to shoot my gun and I have full set of 10-rounders. Suddenly USPSA HQ came up with the ruling, very bad in my opinion, that would allow fat body pistols with fat magazines to compete in Lim 10 division. I could now shoot my Limited STI gun in Lim 10 division as long as I put there no more than 10 rounds. I think the intent of Lim 10 division was broken and that immediately put single stack 10-round 1911 at disadvantage. One my good friend, solidly dedicated to .45ACP 1911, quit the sport all together.

Single Stack Society was created to fill the gap. Unfortunately they did not gain popularity everywhere locally because of dominance if IPSC and IDPA. The matches we could go was one match a year in Berry, Illinois. It was sad time for 1911 lovers including myself. I think USPSA was not happy about it too.

Eventually Single Stack Society gained popularity back and USPSA now had to spend money to buy them out. If HQ would not make this decision we would still have Lim 10 division as it was intended to be in the first place. The price we pay now is that we cannot load 10 rounds in 1911 major and that makes the division less enjoyable to shoot (in my opinion).

But to finish on positive note, 8-round loads made me better shooter. I am more accurate because I must set myself that I cannot have a luxury for makeup shots. I started having more clean matches when returned back to limited than ever before.

Another good thing about 8-round mags. It cost you less because you load only 8 rounds.

Please understand that Single Stack is simply a euphemism for John M. Browning's Model of 1911. There have historically been single stack matches across the country and they have alway been for 1911s only. The Single Stack Division is actually a 1911 Division. It was never meant to be an "other than double stack, single action pistol division" or a "limited-8 division".

Buy an American tradition, buy a 1911 and join in the fun.

Etd: for punctuation

Edited by Steve J

"Buy an American tradition, buy a 1911 and join in the fun."

It's the original race gun!

You've got it, Slabbie Shooter. It's also the king of bullseye and along with its 2011 cousins the king of every other discipline.

Whats missing/wrong with the S&W 945 ??

(I looked and still don't see a reason, or a reasonable reason, course I can't search for beans)

The S&W 945 (I own one of the early Lew Horton custom shop series) does not follow the J.M.B. design criteria. The biggest difference is the lack of a link for barrel lockup on the 945, instead, they use the locking block principal, along with some other minor differences.

Larry

USPSA HQ probably noticed what happened at the IDPA Nationals last year, too. CDP division was supposed to be IDPA's home for 1911 single stack .45; the highest 1911 came in fourth, behind Sevigny/Glock, Olhasso/XD, and Langdon/M&P.

That says more about who shot the match than the guns that were used. The guys you mention above would do well regardless of platform, but at least two of them were locked in based on their sponsorship deals. They might have done even better with good 1911s in their hands. We should also keep in mind there were plenty of top 1911 shooters who were not in attendance at the IDPA Nationals.

Correct me if I 'm mistaken but as a huge JMB fan, I would say my Hi-power is a narrow wide body. I have 17 rounders for it that are no bigger than the 10 rounders. the big difference would be in Calibers. a Colt 1911 is a single stack. a HP is not. If samuel Colt was going to "perfect" JMB's design a year later, it would have been a wide body .45 like S_I, Para figured out 75+ years later. A single stack is a single stack no matter how you look at it; and they all accept 1911 mags... go figure!

The Smith gun you are referring to is not a single stack and its double action(correction if I'm wrong.)

That is probably why its not on the list.

;)

When did USPSA spend money to buy the Single Stack Society as stated above? Did I go to the bathroom and miss that vote?

Did we lose L-10 somewhere? Can't we still load 10 rounds of major PF in our 1911's in L-10?

When did I miss all of this?

Edited by Gary Stevens

When did USPSA spend money to buy the Single Stack Society as stated above? Did I go to the bathroom and miss that vote?

Did we lose L-10 somewhere? Can't we still load 10 rounds of major PF in our 1911's in L-10?

When did I miss all of this?

Hey Gary where's my check?????????

I like single stack, and I shoot L10 with my single stack and 10 round 45acp mag before that. I also don't mind the current line up of

divisions that we have either.

However I sometimes wonder if this could ever be a possibility.

Get rid of L10, get rid of single stack and roll it all under production.

Here is what I have kicked around in my head, and think I have read about it here before but what about

Production with major/minor scoring.

Major is 8 rounds max 40s&w or larger caliber at 165 pf

Minor 9mm minimum with 10 rounds max at a 125 pf

Limited external mods to include magwells and extended safeties, mag release

Holsters are of current ss rule (no drop off set) at center line, same with pouches.

fits the box (which would allow the G34,G35)

weigh no more than 43 oz with unloaded mag

guns must meet external factory guns, so no slide lightening unless done by manufacturer

Now you got 1911's going up against the plastic fantastics.

Your Sig 220's and Hi Powers can play, you don't have to down load your 40s&w Glocks or M&P's etc

Now you can't down load your slicked up lighten slide, huge magwell limited gun to shoot L10

The Hi Power can play, your USP 45's, the 945, the Sigs that are out there. etc (something that alot of Manufactuerer guns would now fit in and compete in)

you have double action, single action, safe action, striker fired, etc going head to head

Just wonder if that would ever work?

Just something that I think would make things interesting

Edited by fortyfiveshooter