Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pics of a free 550

Friend of mine just had this dropped in his lap. A relative died, and it sat in his son's shed for years... Or something like that.

He called Dillon, and for the price of shipping it'll get a full rebuild. Gotta love the Blue service. Can't be beat, and part of the reason I'm counting the days until I buy a 650.

Thought you'd like to see this - It's by far the worst condition I've ever seen one in. I'll post some up whenever he gets it back.

post-11460-1208224717.jpg

post-11460-1208224727.jpg

post-11460-1208224735.jpg

post-11460-1208224745.jpg

post-11460-1208224754.jpg

post-11460-1208224766.jpg

post-11460-1208224777.jpg

post-11460-1208224786.jpg

post-11460-1208224795.jpg

post-11460-1208224803.jpg

Oooh, noooes! Somebody should have a spanking for wrong priorities of hobbies?

That is what I would define as sacrilige... ...and am not religious! Jeezevs!

Beating living, innocent, small, cute, tasty, furry animals with a thin stick is barely worse! :ph34r:

pfft, that'll buff right out.

should order a casefeeder while it's out.

Frank K from Alberta had a few nice Dillons, after his fire they looked like crap. Dillon rebuilt them while he was down south for a match, and apparently they are like new now.

that machine doesn't look too bad actually. Mostly needs to be cleaned & relubed, and a bit of touchup paint.

Trust me, after hurricane katrina we saw much, much worse, and resotred them. :cheers:

that machine doesn't look too bad actually. Mostly needs to be cleaned & relubed, and a bit of touchup paint.

Trust me, after hurricane katrina we saw much, much worse, and resotred them. :cheers:

It is comments like that that make me glad I just picked up my Dillon.

I'm anxious to see what Dillon tells you when play the warantee card.

I lost my first 550 in a fire in the outbuilding where I reloaded. All that remained of the press was the ram - the rest melted. I called Dillon, they said send in the ram and they'd "fix" it - free. I was away from home at the time, and my wife had thrown out the ram while I was gone. :wacko: But I still use their products because of their service (and the fact that they work so well).

I sent a SD, that a friend gave me, to Dillon and it came back as good as new. The only thing I've been disappointed in Dillon with is their 50 round 9mm ammo boxes. I ordered 10 and the lids don't fit square with the bottom, so when they're stacked, it leans to one side. Never had a problem with their 100 round boxes. :rolleyes:

OK, I'm betting you guys have kept some pictures of some of your "Holy Crap!" :surprise: returned presses. How about sharing a few pictures?

• 6 months later...

UPDATE:

Tad got the press back. He put off sending it in to them until about a month ago, so they didn't take too long. They rebuilt this 550. From what he said, the only way he could tell it wasn't a brand new replacement was a tiny spot where some rust was visible through the blue paint on the frame.

...And I did buy a 650 with all the goodies from Brian because of their service. And it's the best gun-related purchase I've made this decade.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I bought a 1050 for $700. It had been used commercially to load .38Special. It was filthy. The main bearing rattled and you could move the inner and outer independently. The powder measure was worn out. The ram was rusted in place.

I loaded it into my van, drove to Dillon, ( I live in Phoenix), put the press on my hand truck and wheeled it into the Show Room. The guys tagged it and told me they would call when it was ready. In under 2 weeks I had a totally refurbished 1050. It truly looked brand new. No charge!

I proceeded to load 8k rounds in 10 weeks to prepare for the 2001 IRC. I was 4th Lady. I had owned a revolver for 12 weeks.

Sadly in 2002 I was disabled and had to sell the press, for $950.

The 1050 and now the Super 1050 do not have the lifetime warranty. It is considered a commercial press. Perhaps because it was my second 1050 maybe I got 'prior customer' treatment. All I know for sure is if it isn't Blue I won't buy it.

I have owned several 'off' brand progressives. Never again!

My 550 took a hit from Gustave. Pics of the house from another thread. Not as bad as this one but close.

The intent is to claim the press, dies, and conversions on insurance. Once I'm back up and running with a new press then the old one is going to Dillon. After that it will be sold to a junior or new shooter at a greatly reduced price.

What was suprising was how bad the MEC 9000 looked. That thing turned into a pile of rust in a hurry. The Dillon looked pristine next to it. Since MEC doesn't have a no BS warranty that will have to be replaced and the old one tossed in the landfill unless someone wants it as a parts donor.

• 5 months later...
Here's what I got back from Dillon - this is the press from the top of this post.

You can see that the frame was repainted - they didn't replace that. Just everything else.

Jeez, what horrible service...how dare they only paint the frame.... :goof:

Dillon's unbelievable...there's a reason they're on the top of the game. Congratulations on your "new" press.

• 1 month later...

I had a Dillon 450, 550, 650 and 1050, as well as 2 case trimmers and vibrator, 6-7 caliber changes, all lost in a fire. I saved what parts I could find (couple of rams etc.) and wrote a letter to Dillon and sent pics. They told me they didnt cover acts of god. So in addition to losing 40+guns, I got another kick to the jewels by Dillon. I dont blame them, but after reading countless threads about house fires being covered, I am here to tell you THEY DONT COVER THEM! At least not for me. All bought direct too.

Before

IMG_1892.jpg

After, and holding a ram (please ignore the crying)

IMG_2096.jpg

Edited by TonyTDMD