Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AK type rifles

galt11

A friend was asking me tonight about buying a AK type rifle. This is an area I don't have much knowledge in. Can anyone pass along any info or advice on what type or anything. Thanks.

Adam

The best Quality stuff would be a

VEPR

Arsenal

Krebs

But its an AK, they all work even the cheap Romanian stuff. Might have bent sights

and hugh gaps between everything but still work every time. The thing is like a hammer.

For 3 gun they are ok but lack in accuracy at over 200yds and can be a pain to reload quickly...

On Military Channel a few weeks back they interviewed a former Spetznez (sp) and I would like to reload an AR as fast as he did his AK. As for strength of the weapon itself, he demonstrated doing push-up with the AK, Insert a 30 round mag, hold the rifle with both hands and balance on the mag, then have at it. After which I think he fired the piece.

Jim

Well, if you want an accurate AK, go for Sako 62 or 95. Might be a bit hard to find in US though, but there are a few around. No typical AK accuracy problems, such as shooting two groups.

http://world.guns.ru/assault/as43-e.htm

Then of course there is Saiga, which is a good basic AK tool, sort of ak74 in 7.62x39 instead of the russian military cartridge 5.45x39. That US made arsenal would be fun to test, the Bulgarian Arsenal is not very highly regarded in here. Not bad, but not too popular either.

AK-variants are somewhat popular in our 3-gun sports here in Finland, but AR population is growing all the time, and already overnumbering the AK's in competition by far. AK's are fun, good for DIY, since they're cheap, ugly and roughly made anyway, and usually continue to function even after serious home smithing... :rolleyes: PM me if you want to see some heavy modifications done to them. :ph34r:

What comes to reloading... well, I've seen one guy reload one faster than I reload a pistol. ;) Like everything else, its about practise. And with AK, you really know then the mag locks in place, no bang..klick like with AR reload gone wrong.

Edited by askomiko

I have a Vector underfolder AK47. I got it just because every gun safe should contain at least one AK design, and the 7.62x39 underfolder is a classic.

I hardly ever shoot it !

The only time my AK underfolder comes out of the gun safe is when I take non-shooters to the range, just so they can shoot a piece of history. Although it is clearly a prolific and successful military assault rifle design, from a shooter's perspective the AK design is a turd. The ergonomics are poor (controls can't be reached easily, mags change in the european "hook-and-rock" style, stock too short for americans), the iron sights suck (pistol-type with too short a sight radius), there is no bolt hold open (except for some rare variants), and the combination of the round it fires, the reciprocating mass and the poor ergonomics pushes felt recoil up towards heavy metal territory. As others have mentioned, they are not especially accurate either. The AK47 is legendary for its reliability, but my AR15s have been just as reliable so, unless your friend is planning on storing his AK buried under a rice paddy, I am dubious about the "superior reliability" claims. I hear the AK74 versions (in 5.45x39) are a bit nicer to shoot, but they still have all the other AK issues. If he really must have an AK in the collection, and wants to shoot it a lot, at least get one of the solid stock variants (preferrably with a NATO-length stock). Expect the novelty to wear off fast if he is a shooter that likes to hit what he aims at.

If your friend really wants a good AK-derived rifle that he will shoot a lot, have him look at the SIG 556 which is a far superior Kalashnikov variant. The Valmet and Galil rifles (when you can find them) are a distant second. Otherwise, a $300 WASR will be a rough but functional stamped receiver rifle, but I would pay an extra $200 and get a Vector, as they have great build quality and Vector is known for their good after sales support. I would not pay more than $500 unless you are a die-hard AK collector. At least buying an AK can be a cheap mistake :D .

Edited by StealthyBlagga

If you friend is just looking for a fun semi auto to shoot, look into a SKS. It works, works and then works a little longer, you can find 30 round mags, and can even retrofit them to take a AK mag. The best part is, you can find them for under $200. Sometimes as little as $150. Unless he has his heart set on an AK suggest a SKS. Fun and cheap.

that's what we need here, is a good AR vs. AK thread! never seen one, but there's always hope..... i got both, started shooting 3-gun with a robinson arms VEPR. the main problem with the things are that the ammo available sux. if i could get a supply of boxer primed 7.62x39, i bet i could reload some good stuff. my buddy just got an arsenal in .223, and i bet i could make that thing sing. real light, easy recoil..... the problem is cheek weld w/ some of the stocks. i would really like to see what the russians shoot at the 3-gun world shoot. didn't a russian guy come in second to voigt?

As for aks i have three a preban hungarian , a century m-70 yugo under folder and a romak. The hungarian and yugo are what for what on accuracy while the romak opens up just a bit past 50yds. If your friend is looking for quality I would go with either an arsenal,or a feg imported hungarian(hard to find). The century yugos are nice if you can find a good deal on one(under foldedrs suck to shoot but sure do look cool). But in the grand scheme of things the romak will be just as good. Then there are the poly tech guns(china) which are nice but a $1800 ak is rediculous. Its all about how much you want to spend. As a later thought you might want to steer him towards a ak in 223. 7.62x39 is getting hard to find and expensive.

I have a junky Romanian that just works and works. It sure isn't pretty! Not accurate enough for matches, but accurate enough to be fun to shoot. I put an Ace folding stock on it, XS 24/7 front, and a peep rear that replaces the standard rear sight. It's my camping gun.

Living in Africa we see very few AR`s over here. The ones we see are very "plasticy" and not very reliable. This is what we see over here and obviously not what you guys have over there. We have several AK types as well as some FN/FAL`s. In my limited experience(with AR`s) I would go for the FN/FAL if my live happened to depend on it and then the AK types.

Any gun where you can "shoot the barrel clean" is not going to be a tack driver but it works and works. The G3 would be my last choice after I ran out of clubs.

Any gun where you can "shoot the barrel clean" is not going to be a tack driver but it works and works. The G3 would be my last choice after I ran out of clubs.

I have a PTR (commerical US copy of G3). It functions well and is accurate, but certainly has it's distinctive "traits." Surely the G3 is still better than a club or spear? :)

Is it the crappy sights, crappy trigger, or mag release that put this as your last choice? Just wanting to hear opinions of shooters in other parts of the world.

• 4 weeks later...

Just purchased a MAK-90 (2 weeks ago) and have only fired it about 80 times in two sessions. I have never picked up an iron sighted gun that was more accurate. First 40 shots were factory Winchester 123 gr. jacketed bullets. I had placed some parts of clay targets on the 100 yd. backstop and fired a few to figure where the sight picture was. I was breaking the (not) whole clays offhand at 100 yds. Hope to put it on paper with a rest soon. I really believe this rifle to be a shooter that I can have really some fun with. Reloading dies coming next week....anyone want to instill any secrets (other than the usual) in reloading this caliber?

JB

I would think for 3 gun, the AK would be down on the list as far as competitive guns.

I would not buy one for the express purpose of 3gun but if you had one and wanted to shoot it just because, why not ?

For most of the local 3 gun matches I have been to, an AK variant would not be a handicap. I've won local rifle side matches and indoor rifle matches with an AK variant (Arsenal SAM5) with iron sights. The bigger state and national matches are a slightly different story.

My SAM5 is accurate as he!! with the right ammo.

• 9 months later...

<_< I have an older SKS sporter with the AK removable mags. 1994 gun I was going to sell it at the guns show

What should I ask ? or just wait for an offer

Gun broker is a joke on price <_< Or I think $1,200 for one like I have is a joke I would not sleep if I accepted that much.

For the vast majority of folks, the AK-type carbine is perfectly serviceable for 3-gun competition. The user simply needs to learn to 'run the gun!' To be sure, if you're competing at the Jerry Miculek level, you might be able to see some significant differences, but not at the 'Joe Everyman' level. Also, the AK-typs has some accuracy limitations (but, with a quality firearm, especially in 5.56, they're nowhere as great as a lot of AR-philes would lead you to believe! With WWB .223, I get around 1 1/2" @ 100m out of my Saiga.) and the 7.62X39 is absolutely an 'under-200m' round (but how many of us REGULARLY shoot competition at ranges beyond that?).

On the flip-side, how much practice ammo can you buy for the cost difference between a quality AR and a similar-quality AK? Short answer: LOTS!

As for running the AK, the first thing to learn is that it's not an AR & you can't run it like one! For thoughts on running the AK, you can find a LOT of good info over ath Gabe Suarez "Warrior Talk" forum (WARNING: This is not a forum for the thin-skinned!) as well as on the SAIGA 12 competition sub-forum. Then spend some quality time in the garage or basement with your 'commie rifle' and learn to operate the thing efficiently. Then go have a ball!

To be sure: YMMV!

Old SF MJT

Had a SIG 556 for about a year before I sold it. Good shooter, but the ergos are just a little off if you are very used to AR's. The two stage trigger has a lot of travel in it, but does break cleanly. Mag release is a little too far forward. It being a gas piston gun does recoil somewhat different, read: harder, than AR's. I do believe the barrel is threaded 1/2x28. A plus is the light profile barrel and the 1:7" twist on almost all models. Another is the ability to retrofit your choice of standard AR stocks. If a guy was serious about using one I would change out the stock to an ACE ARFX, install your choice of comp/brake, and change the handguards out to the OEM versions of the 552 as they are lightweight and the ergos are waaay better than the tacti-kool ones that come with it. Not to mention the much higher initial price of the weapon than a standard AR.

But after doing all that I'd still rather have an AR. :cheers:

As for running the AK, the first thing to learn is that it's not an AR & you can't run it like one! For thoughts on running the AK, you can find a LOT of good info over ath Gabe Suarez "Warrior Talk" forum (WARNING: This is not a forum for the thin-skinned!) as well as on the SAIGA 12 competition sub-forum. Then spend some quality time in the garage or basement with your 'commie rifle' and learn to operate the thing efficiently. Then go have a ball!

Well said! :cheers: Gabe Suarez is great!

AK-47...best battle rifle ever! EVER! I like my AR's, but I absolutely love my AK's. I've shot both platforms in 3-gun and they both work fine for anything that a typical match can throw at you.

As for the AK not being that accurate...keep in mind that it was only designed to shoot torso-sized groups from the start.