Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Rules

Jim Norman

OK, we have a new, USPSA Rulebook that applies to USPSA matches.

We have a new USPSA/NROI RO Certification class.

This weekend at Old Bridge, we had over 25 people take the class. Some were certified in the last century and have kept their cert up, others were previously certified and allowed their rating to lapse and others were there for the first time. Some people had been shooting for many years and others less than a year.

Our instructor was George Jones. He did an excellent job in running the class. You will not be disappointed if you take this class and George is the instructor.

So, why, having just completed my recert test in January of this year, did I surrender two days of my life to take the class again? I had the same thoughts before I took the class. My initial reason for taking the class was that as the co-director for our matches at Old Bridge, it was good politics that I be there. Well, that reason still stands, but I have to admit that I learned a lot or at least I learned that there is a lot I need to re-learn. There are some not so minor differences in the USPSA rules that when we were shooting a modified IPSC rulebook were less pronounced. Most of our rules are in my opinion, better or at least more logical, but that is neither here nor there.

I strongly suggest that whether or not you are certified and whether or not you got certified two years ago or two decades ago, that you get thee to an RO Class at your earliest opportunity. There is much to learn and you will be a better competitor for it.

Jim

There are some not so minor differences in the USPSA rules that when we were shooting a modified IPSC rulebook were less pronounced. Most of our rules are in my opinion, better or at least more logical, but that is neither here nor there.

If it's neither here nor there, why mention it? I also thought USPSA vs IPSC is against forum rules? Can't you just stick to praising George's class without taking another boring and predictable swipe at IPSC?

tick, tick, tick, tick, tick.......

No ticking time bomb here, Sean, 'cause both of these fine gentlemen have fired the customary shot across the bow and will now leave it at that for the collective good of the forum.

Score 1-1. Tie. Game over.

;)

===================

Back to the topic at hand.... Jim, if the chance presents itself I'll make sure I get in a class. Since that doesn't look like it will happen any time soon, I downloaded the "Differences" .pdf file from the USPSA website and did a little reformatting so it would fit on one page (front and back). I keep it in my new rulebook and it's come in handy on a couple of occasions already.

Retrospectively, i am adding a couple of thoughts here to my original.

If you are just starting out in USPSA, shoot a few matches, get your feet wet, take an RO Class. When, I would say probably about a year into shooting USPSA. Why? Too early and you will not have a good foundation to understand a lot of what is being said and taught.

Now, suppose that you have been shooting for a few years and maybe the last RO Class you took was 5 plus years ago and you regularly shoot at local matches, maybe you even work at them and work hard, but you have never worked a Sectional or an Area Match. Maybe you ahve only ever shot a couple or no larger matches. Take the class again. You will likely learn as much the second time as you did the first time, maybe even more. Now you have enough understanding to understand what questions there are to ask and to understand much of the answers.

Then take the class or better yet sign up for and take a CRO class. You will definatly be learning. Speaking of which, I am going to send off for the CRO course shortly.

Jim

I agree with Jim on waiting a a year or so for a new shooter. It just makes sense to be familiar with the sport before you start trying to learn to officiate it.

As for the repeat class. I guess it's been about three years for me. I'm due for another one.

dj

I was at the class this past weekend as well. I have been shooting USPSA for about a year. I really learned a lot. I would highly recommend it.

joe4d--I think there is a procedure to request NROI to offer a class in your region of the country.

Requesting the class is not normally a problem. The problem is there has to be an amount of ground work done prior to the request. There is a minimum cost for the class and the normal number is at least 20. If there are fewer than 20 then the individual cost goes up as the minimum expense for the class remains the same.

The Area Director can also contribute an amount of money, perhaps 100 dollars, toward a class of below 20 out of the marketing funds that are allocated.

Gary

Our section just had George down for the class in early march. He did a great job with the class and we had 26 people take the class. The section picked up the tab for the whole thing. It was well recieved and the new blood in the ro pool will be appreciated. All the students seemed to get into the class with George and I sat in on about 45 minutes of the class, he enjoys what he is doing.

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished the first day of class today with George here in MN. Both my son and I are taking the class. My son has only been shooting for less that a year but is learning a huge amount in the first day of class. He told me things are realy coming together understanding everything with the rule realy having them explained and examples given in class. I have been shooting USPSA for almost 4yrs and the class has been very enlighting. Even if you don't intend to act as an RO it is more than worth your time to take the class from a top notch instructer like George Jones.

As a side note George does the class for free, the section picks up the tab. My hat is off for these great instructors to volenterer there time. THANKS TO YOU ALL! :cheers:

My clan attended the first '08 rule book course offered by George in St. Augustine. Definitely worth the time and $$. George did an excellent job! :bow: Yesterday I received my NROI cert and patch. I'm legal now. :)

Although certified as an IPSC RO long time ago and somewhat kept up with USPSA rules, the course is a definite eye-opener in regards to the new rule book.

Thanks to SAPSA, the FOP and Will Parker for making this happen!

• 3 weeks later...

I have been shooting USPSA for about a year and was at the class this past weekend at Rio Salado Sportmans Club in Mesa AZ. George Jones was the instructor; he is a fantastic instructor and great person to be around. Thanks to George Jones and Pete Carstensen (our club VP) we had a very rewarding experience.

I really learned a lot, its given me more confidence and I would highly recommend it to any new shooter. There is a new curiculum which George rolled out and I think its great. IMO...When you have a chance to go, GO!

Edited by LarryP

• 3 weeks later...