Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pinned Grip Safety

ExtremeShot

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm trying to decided whether or not to pin my grip safety on my Open gun. How many of you guys do it? ...I guess I better read the rules first, eh?

Darren

If you are not depressing the grip safety when you grip the gun, pin it. If you have never failed to depress it properly, I wouldn't bother.

Sounds good guys. Thanks.

I haven't had a pinned gun. So the next obvious question is, what is the typical way to pin the safety? I imagine there's more than a couple ways to do it, however, what do you typically see? A set screw through the side?

Darren

I found some info:

Pinning the grip safety consists of drilling a small hole in either top of the mainspring housing or the bottom of the grip safely (where the two come together). A small pin is then inserted in the hole, when the pieces come together during assembly, the pin locks the grip safety in the depressed position. The pin can easily be removed and the grip safety will operate normally.

Yeah, but I think it would be nicer if it didn't move. I wish that Novak Answer thingy was available and affordable.

stopped pinning many years ago-just file down the tang on the inside of the grip safety-same effect without the pin.

I voted yes, because my grip safety is disabled on my primary gun, but my backup gun has it active. This is just the way I have both of them. I really could care less, since I have never had a grip problem engaging the grip safety.

any pistol i use for upsa has the safety pinned. i know some who shoot idpa pin theirs' but i'll leave them active just in case...

In case of what?? Not sure I follow the logic that defeating an intended safety device affects your ability to handle a weapon safely different based upon what sport you're shooting.

I believe the point is that IDPA has a rule against disabling any safety. Those that do so and play that game risk being discovered and DQ'd (I think that's the penalty).

thanks for making it clear. didn't think someone would get all worked up over it... :surprise::blink:

My guns either have them totally defeated or set to only require a very slight depression of the grip safety to allow the gun to fire. I grip the gun high enough I need them that way or I will have guns that don't shoot when I want them to. The thumb safety and my trigger finger (primary safety on ANY gun) prevent them from firing when I do not want them to.