Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grip tape in single stack division?

ICEMAN28

I understand grip tape is allowed in production, but what about in SS?

Also is it allowed om the slide of the gun as well?

Reason being is I like to put a little grip tape were the front cocking serations would be for press checks and such.

thanks fellas

Reason being is I like to put a little grip tape were the front cocking serations would be for press checks and such.

thanks fellas

I think it's like Production: on the grip area, not on the slide/trigger guard. Will check my rulebook when I get home.

KC

You can wrap the whole thing in bubble wrap and duct tape if you want to as long as it still fits in the box with the lid closed. Leave an opening for the magazine, and oh yes, you might want to be able to rack the slide and pull the trigger.

:rolleyes:

Sorry. Couldn't resist. But, seriously, as long as it fits in the box you can goo it up to your heart's content.

Edited by Steve J

thanks fellas

Grip tape on the slide for SS division ?

Depending on what type of holster you use, and how you want the holster to be when you are finished with it.

Check the USPSA website and rules on holsters for SS. I don't think I would want to sand down the inside of my holster with sandpaper on the slide. I could be wrong ?

I don't know why people insist on using those front cocking serrations anyway. I consider it bad form.

Semi-Autos, have this big mass of metal that moves front to back to chamber and eject rounds. Sometimes it comes in handy to be able to grab that mass of metal (bottom feeders call it a slide) and pull it back, normally when the gun jams. You know it happens all the time. :goof:

I don't know why people insist on using those front cocking serrations anyway. I consider it bad form.

It's quicker to get the support hand from the slide to the grip when you grab from underneath. When you release the slide, the hand is almost in position! Like everything, you have to practice to make sure you grab far enough forward so you don't short-stroke ( :rolleyes: ) it.

Later,

Chuck

Thanks for the replies fellas. As for my holster, Its a 20 dollar uncle mikes, so I could care less what the inside looks like, it all about function anyway.

I think the holster concern comments are so the tape on the slide doesnt slow down the draw. This would be my worry.

Thanks for the replies fellas. As for my holster, Its a 20 dollar uncle mikes, so I could care less what the inside looks like, it all about function anyway.

I think the holster concern comments are so the tape on the slide doesnt slow down the draw. This would be my worry.

Keep in mind I'm brand new to IPSC. I've done steel, bowling pins, and such, but as far as IPSC I'm a rookie. So when I get good enough that what you said would matter, i'll adress it then.

Nope, my holster is in the $65 - 70 range, and the amount I dry-fire, it would not last long with grip tape on the front of the slide. I jsut se NO reason for it at all. I do see shooters with grip tape in that area, but it is a part of the gun I don't touch.

It looks cool at "show clear, hammer down, holster", but I can live without being a cool kid and the peace of mind that my hand is NOT near the muzzle of a gun when showing clear.

As for clearing a jam, NEVER have I even seen one of the cool kids use the front serrations for that one, not enough leverage to clear a jam like that.

Hmmmm, sounds like a Cooper"ism" doesn't it?

One reason is for those with Thumb Shields on their 1911, is that legal in SS?

Sometimes in the heat of battle a death grip gets applied on the thumb safety and rubs the slide, slowing it's progress and leading to jams.

But then if bad form was all I had to worry about, I'd be much better off.

I guess I'm one of those "cool kids" :)

BTW, does anybody have a answer to my original question? I've checked the rule book and I havent seen it mentioned anywhere. It did say its illegal in production.

Edited by ICEMAN28

You can wrap the whole thing in bubble wrap and duct tape if you want to as long as it still fits in the box with the lid closed. Leave an opening for the magazine, and oh yes, you might want to be able to rack the slide and pull the trigger.

:rolleyes:

Sorry. Couldn't resist. But, seriously, as long as it fits in the box you can goo it up to your heart's content.

I was laughing so hard I forgot what I was going to say....... :cheers:

I asked Mr. Stevens earlier this year/end of last about using some grip tape on the left side of my frame as an index point for where my left thumb sits.

As I understand it, this would be illegal in Production, but OK for SS, according to our SS Godfather.

Using that logic, I would say it's ok on the slide, too, but I'd double check with the Chairman of the Board before moving forward. ;)

I checked last night - The fancy diagram outlining permissible tape application in the grip area only is for Production. No restrictions that I found for SS.

---

Overhand/underhand rack was always fastest for me for any empty chamber start, and was the only time I used a grip on the slide. I had a piece of skateboard tape over the top and sides about halfway between the front cocking serrations (which I never used) and the ejection port - perfect for an overhand rack. Only useable with a open race holster.

When I got my first Glock, I put decal grips on, including the little pieces for the front of the slide. Stuck it into an Uncle Mike's, and only got it out by disassembling the holster and prying it open.