Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

negitivity towards Glocks?

Dan Hefta

According to the recent Front Sight, 58.49% of production shooters were shooting Glocks at the nationals. Close to 4.5 times that of the second runner up brand. That seems to indicate little negativity towards Glocks.

Slav

I am wondering why there are so many shooters at matches that have nothing good to say about Glocks? I here it all of the time, a lot of the time the same guy that says a negitive comment has gun problems when he's shooting. Are they jealous? My Glock just works, the only time it doesn't is when I try some mod or have ammo problems. :angry2:

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was a kid fine items were made of steel and wood. Cheap items were made of "plastic". I didn't like the look of a Glock when I first saw it. LUCKY for me I tried one with an open mind. They are the pistol for me. That being said if I were a right hander instead of a lefty, I could have fell in love with the 1911 myself........In fact I probably have a couple of times. There will be lots of 1911 versus everything else and Glock versus everything else discussions. Thats what happens when you SET THE STANDARD.

Hi everyone,

One more post witha different perspective. I work in one of the largest gun stores/shooting ranges in the US. Now I have sold a ton of first time gun owners Glocks after letting them shoot different brands on the range and seeing what they like. I will say this Glocks are simple to operate and learn to shoot, safe accurate and very reliable guns. They can be made into very nice competition guns. Now this is where I get into trouble and why I personally use a CZ or a S&W M&P in production when I shoot production. Glock does not do enough to support USPSA compared to most of the other brands. Look at nationals, S&W was a match sponsor, Glock was just a stage sponsor (along with a great group of SMALLER companies) Glock owns US law enforcement sales and make far more profit then I would be willing to bet any other handgun manufacturer and they are very stingy when it comes to prizes and match sponsorship (At least here in the southwest and at the national level) At Area 2 alone from a unconfirmed report S&W gave out over 40 guns and glock gave under 10. I am not saying that any company should be forced to give out anything, but USPSA shooters have always supported Glock and I wish that they would do more of the same.

Hi everyone,

One more post witha different perspective. I work in one of the largest gun stores/shooting ranges in the US. Now I have sold a ton of first time gun owners Glocks after letting them shoot different brands on the range and seeing what they like. I will say this Glocks are simple to operate and learn to shoot, safe accurate and very reliable guns. They can be made into very nice competition guns. Now this is where I get into trouble and why I personally use a CZ or a S&W M&P in production when I shoot production. Glock does not do enough to support USPSA compared to most of the other brands. Look at nationals, S&W was a match sponsor, Glock was just a stage sponsor (along with a great group of SMALLER companies) Glock owns US law enforcement sales and make far more profit then I would be willing to bet any other handgun manufacturer and they are very stingy when it comes to prizes and match sponsorship (At least here in the southwest and at the national level) At Area 2 alone from a unconfirmed report S&W gave out over 40 guns and glock gave under 10. I am not saying that any company should be forced to give out anything, but USPSA shooters have always supported Glock and I wish that they would do more of the same.

+1

Glock supports its own competition, I think it's called GSSF.

Is GSSF "REALLY" a competition????

Glock supports its own competition, I think it's called GSSF.

Glock probably gives out more guns than any other company through GSSF. The nice thing is, those guns a lot of times go to new shooters and get them hooked on shooting sports. When I started shooting IPSC I shot a Glock 22 for about 4 months till I received a Glock 35 that I won at my second GSSF match. I used that gun to make Master and I was hooked. I've done a bit of IPSC shooting since. As far as GSSF being competition or not. I like to think it is. I've seen a lot of people who put just as much effort into GSSF as any IPSC shooter does into their sport.

As far as Area 2, and not to say anything bad about S&W, but how many of those 40 guns were purchased by the match? And how many were .22lr. Glock doesn't have a "cheap" or low cost gun. If they gave away 10 guns, that $6000.00 retail. If S&W gave away 40 .22lr (And I know they weren't all .22lr, it's an example) that only $8000.00 retail. Not a huge difference. And it becomes more apparent if the match is purchasing some of the guns. I'm sure we will be for Area 1.

Glock's do well because they are easy to shoot and are reliable. For the folks that complain about the "limp wristing" excuse, I've seen this occur, and they didn't have a strong enough grip. Give them a different auto and they have the same problem. I have not seen as many malfunctions from all the Glocks that I've worked with or instructed people on as I have with a much smaller sample size of 1911's and 2011's. I personally have not had as many malfunctions in...conservatively 100,000 rounds out of Glock's as I have with 5000 rounds out of my open gun.

I don't understand why people are so biased towards the looks of a gun.

Okay, I too like nice guns, and like to tinker with them ugly onces to make them look nicer.

I too, thinks Glocks looks pretty boring on pictures.

I too was very biased before I got one. Thinking tupperware, plastic, brick-shaped, cheap and all that.

But hey, it works. No matter what gun you buy, there can be issues that has to be adressed, wheter it is the trigger or something else.

It is the same with computers, cars and cameras too.

I'd like a BMW. The basic ones are so nice to drive, but I wouldn't mind put in a better stereo, some nice spokes etc. etc.

I'd like for both sides of pro/con-clocks to disregard the factory PR-gimmick of the wording 'perfect'.

In my opinion, my G34 was great, but far from perfect. It is cheap, solid, no issues so far, but improved greatly by improving the trigger to my likings, give it a better magwell, some griptape remove the funky sights with something else that i like, etc. etc.

Now? I would like more guns, of course, but I have no real reason to get anything else.

Ooohh, the STI is supposed to be so much better... ...well, for the amount you have to pay, it sure should be. By my obervations it isn't.

I don't know why, but in matches, I see those, and other guns jam, fail to eject, fail to fire, misfeed and stuff. At least STI (and others) doesn't go all out and call it perfection. If I should buy a new gun today, i'd propably go out and buy another G34, with the same setup I have on my current, for less than half of a STI Grandmaster.

-The second reason is of course, I'm not good enough to win anyways, so why should i bother buying über-expensive stuff.

I think there is very little respect on either side of those loving and hating Glocks/STI's/others.

Why hate the player? Although, I have to say I love to beat (competitionally!) a STI-shooter with my Glock. They kind of silently dissapear in a moody way, away from me afterwards. :P

People that talk bad of any gun has a problem, imho.

Oh man ! Here we go !!

You guys suck, cant we all just, nevermind.... :P

safriday wrote:

As for why they razz you for the gun you shoot. It probably mostly play. Analyze the social interactions of a group of mostly males during any competition and you will find an over abundance of testosterone. Being able to take the BS with that usually weeds out the less inclined. In other words, male bonding.....

Edited by DIRTY CHAMBER

It's not just about Glocks.

There seem to be two camps among competition shooters.

The Glock/XD/M&P crowd and the SVI/STI folks.

There's a lot of good natured ribbing that goes back and forth but it means next to nothing.

I own two STI's and an SVI.

All three of these guns have polymer grips / trigger guards.

It would be pretty silly for me to stand there and seriously ridicule someone else's polymer gun.

The bottom line here is simple.

There are a lot of guns in use for IPSC and a lot of guns that aren't.

Competition is brutal on guns and it doesn't take long to separate what works and what doesn't.

Guns from both "camps" have proven their worth.

Otherwise, you'd never see them on a stage.

We like to poke fun at each other, but it should never be taken too seriously.

Play nice in the sandbox kids.

Tls

Edited by 38superman

Most malfunctions are due to ammo problems, not the gun! When you see a gun puke, tis' almost always the case.

Just because you can shoot doesn't mean you know how to make ammo!

Bill

<grin> I will say, categorically, I've never seen anything not run like a single-stack -- my own included. OK, *maybe* sometimes it's the ammo, for sure, but some 1911's need ammo within tolerances a G21 would scoff at.

I like Glocks. I probably shoot them better than I do anything else, but since I'm so heavily invested in non-Glocks, I'm forcing myself to transition away, this year....A strange Catch-22.

What fascinates me, is that I have been around guns for a long time. I mean I was sort of tried and true 1911 man for the first decade. Of course the plastic guns ie Glocks and other...came to being. I mean I am dumped the 1911 for the last 8 years. I have gone to a incarnation of the 1911 that is the USP. What a tank! That gun just goes and goes! No problems that were gun related ie setting up malfs with dummy ammo. I sort of went to Glock for a new caliber....the 9mm! I lke to shoot! The Glock is like a mechanical version of the Life Cereal Actor Mikey! the darn thing just keeps going and going! You can debate all kinds of subjects! And, as long as there are people opinions will vary!

Embrace your choice and exoll the virture of being able to express your opinion!