Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which optic for AR-15 rifle for 0 to 300yds?

Thinking of shooting my AR-15 in some action rifle competitions.

The targets at one match are from "right in front of you" to just over 300yds.

Question is which optics are the best for such a wide range of engagement distances?

I'm just using one of those $30 Simmons 42mm red dots right now and in local competitions it has served me well and holds its zero.

Works great at the distances I've been shooting at (0 to 45yds).

But I don't know if I can use this thing out to 300+ yards or not. Have not tried it yet.

I also don't know if this scope will keep performing or will just go out on me when I least expect it.

I also have a JPoint, but I don't know if it will be effective out to 300 yards either.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

It all depends on what you are shooting at and how old / bad your eyes are and what division.

Open ? Moderate variable ( 2 - 7x ) or stronger w/ a dot on the handguard.

Tactical ? 1.5 - 6x would be my choice

I shoot the Ft Benning 3 Gun every year with targets over 300 yards. My JP CTR-02 has an IOR Valdada 1.1-4 x 26 with the illuminated CQB reticle and it works great. Go to Cactus Tactical and you will see that scope and many other brands that will serve the purpose. The guys at CT are great to deal with.

I've got an ar15-M4 (straight pull - semi auto's are banned in the UK) I have an Acog ta01nsn on it. It is an excellent bit of kit. I shot it at 500 yards the weekend and held 9 out of the 10 shots fired in the inner scoring ring of the target. it would be perfect for what you want although the acogs are expensive.

Since you state that you are interested in trying out 3 gun/multi gun matches, I would say your choice of a medium priced, very workable optic is right on target. The Weaver should suit your needs very well, if you do get into shooting more then you can go with higher priced optics, like aMeopta, valdada, trijicon, etc...............Or, you can put in some practice and shoot IRONS, and join a very exclusive group of shooters.

trapr

warpspeed,

I'm 38 and my eyes are fine.

I will be shooting Tactical division.

I like the Simmons red dot I'm using now. I shoot with both eyes open and I like the 1x (zero) magnification.

I just don't know how I'd do out to 300yds with that setup...

Or, you can put in some practice and shoot IRONS, and join a very exclusive group of shooters.

trapr

+1

if you can read this your eyes are good enough to shoot irons.

Or, you can put in some practice and shoot IRONS, and join a very exclusive group of shooters.

trapr

+1

if you can read this your eyes are good enough to shoot irons.

And if you can't?????????????????????

^^^^ Man! That's a lot of scope! Wow!

Weaver also makes an illuminated reticle or circl dot scope too, that I keep trying to get people to buy on this forum so they can report back and tell me how well it works.

LOL!

IIRC, it's part of their Classic Extreme product line, and probably retails in the 400 something dollar range.

There's the Millet with an illuminated reticle too.

• 2 weeks later...
warpspeed,

I like the Simmons red dot I'm using now. I shoot with both eyes open and I like the 1x (zero) magnification.

With the optic that you are using now, sight it in at 50 yds. This puts you dead on at 200 yds and puts you 1.5 to 2" high at 100 yds and about 4 to 6" low at 300 yds. Also inside 25 yds you will need to aim 2.5" high to offset the height of the sight above the bore of the firearm. Hope that this helps.

Jim

Edited by Helimech

I just used a Leupold 1x4 at my first multigun match and was very pleased with it. Magnification is not very important and I realized most if not all the hits could've easily been made on 1x. If I didn't plan on using the gun to shoot small rodents too I wouldn't have bothered with getting a scope. I prefer iron sights but I have only one rifle and figured 1x4 would be the most versatile, and it seems I made the right choice.

I credit the FAQ section of this forum with solidifying my decision.

Dave Sinko

warpspeed,

With the optic that you are using now, sight it in at 50 yds. This puts you dead on at 200 yds and puts you 1.5 to 2" high at 100 yds and about 4 to 6" low at 300 yds. Also inside 25 yds you will need to aim 2.5" high to offset the height of the sight above the bore of the firearm. Hope that this helps.

Jim

+1 to the above. Does your scope have a 4 MOA dot? If so you may have an issue with the dot covering the target at longer ranges. I tried the Weaver but was not happy with it at close range.

Slav

It sounds like the answer to your question isn't to go look at scopes...it's to go to the range and shoot some targets at 300 m with the Simmons. I shot my EOTech at 200 yd the other day, and hit A zones fine with it, but the eyes do have to do some things they don't normally do during pistol shooting.

If you're shooting a 20" barrel and a round similar to M855, then a zero at 36 yards will also be on at 300.

DogmaDog

• 3 weeks later...