Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Where can I find bulk bullets? everyone seems to be out

spetrola

I am looking at ordering 15000 or so, 9mm 124 grain somethings either FMJ or JHP and it seems like everyone is out of Zero's. Does anyone know of a good place to try? How about any other brands to try? I am more concerned about accuracy.

Thanks,

Scott

There was another thread on this exact subject but I understand that the search function can sometimes be a cruel mistress :devil:

For me, they have been interchangeable. By that I mean comparable accuracy. IIRC, you may need a little more powder with one vs the other to make major but it was only a tenth.

Try the MG's you will like them.

Anybody try the Precision Delta products? I prefer JHP's so I doubt I'd use the PD's but they're a bit less than MGB or Zero.

I've been using them for a few months. I haven't found a bunch of lead in the comp either. They are accurate and the price is right. I will be staying with PD. They even sent me a shirt gratis. :D

Edited by JThompson

Anybody try the Precision Delta products? I prefer JHP's so I doubt I'd use the PD's but they're a bit less than MGB or Zero.

I've been using them for a few months. I haven't found a bunch of lead in the comp either. They are accurate and the price is right. I will be staying with PD. They even sent me a shirt gratis. :D

+1 I've put many thousands of them through my Limited and Single Stack guns (both .40) with no problems and good performance. Haven't tried them in the Open gun though. I am a little ticked that I didn't get a shirt after about 10K though ;)

I've still got a couple thousand Zero 125jhps left, but have pretty much switched over to the MG 121 IFP for my Open gun....great bullet, fast shipping and they have them in stock.

Edited by G-ManBart

MG's are great, they keep inventory too!! :cheers:

Only downside I see, they are VERY "proud" of their bullets in my opinion :angry2:

Well they are made in Montana & that is something to proud of.

We love to have you come & visit but we also have a persuader against staying called snow.

If you're looking for cheapness, Midway has a sale on 115gr FMJ pulled bullets for $24.99 per 500. $50 per thousand isn't too bad for FMJ nowadays. Probably not the optimum solution for accuracy, but should work great for practice or up close run-n-gun stages. I haven't tried them, but they have good feedback from the Midway customers who have rated them. Thinking about getting some for SMG blasting.

Doug

I've seen some big variances in lots of Precision Delta bullets. Last time I ordered, the bullet profile changed over previous lots. I unfortunately didn't take notice until I loaded a couple hundred rounds and found the OAL too long. Even within the same lot, I've been getting more variance in OAL than I should. I think the bullet shaping or ogive just isn't very consistent. I've also caught a number of bullets with the jacketing not being formed well at the base, creating a jagged edge sticking out. I've not had these types of problems with other bullets. I'm going to give Montanna Gold a try after I finish out my current stock. I don't mind paying a little more if it's a quality product.

I've seen some big variances in lots of Precision Delta bullets. Last time I ordered, the bullet profile changed over previous lots. I unfortunately didn't take notice until I loaded a couple hundred rounds and found the OAL too long. Even within the same lot, I've been getting more variance in OAL than I should. I think the bullet shaping or ogive just isn't very consistent. I've also caught a number of bullets with the jacketing not being formed well at the base, creating a jagged edge sticking out. I've not had these types of problems with other bullets. I'm going to give Montanna Gold a try after I finish out my current stock. I don't mind paying a little more if it's a quality product.

Ditto in .40. This from an order dating back two years ago. 6K bullets, three different meplats/ogives, and, what was worse, mixed together in the same boxes. I'm guessing that there is some variation in their tooling. Too bad they weren't/aren't segregating their production runs. I don't mind some variation, but it's gotta be predictable. I still have most of the 6K. They'll eventually go down range as downloaded practice ammo.

MG, on the other hand, is dead nuts on consistent for both the .40 and 9mm JHP's I've ordered on multiple occasions.

Edited by kevin c

I loaded some .40 with my current Precision Delta stock last night. Out of the same box, I'm getting about .008" OAL variance and it ain't my press. I cranked the shell plate down as tight as possible and still have it move. Same brass type. It's the bullets. If I look closely, there are subtle differences. The flat point is wider on some, slightly different ogive. Every now and then one has a base with a funked up jacket. I'm seating to 1.130" now, which has kept me at or under 1.135", but some have ended up down to 1.127" I shoot a Glock 24 and a minimal charge of Power Pistol to make major, so I at least feel safe. No more PD after these though!

I loaded some .40 with my current Precision Delta stock last night. Out of the same box, I'm getting about .008" OAL variance and it ain't my press. I cranked the shell plate down as tight as possible and still have it move. Same brass type. It's the bullets. If I look closely, there are subtle differences. The flat point is wider on some, slightly different ogive. Every now and then one has a base with a funked up jacket. I'm seating to 1.130" now, which has kept me at or under 1.135", but some have ended up down to 1.127" I shoot a Glock 24 and a minimal charge of Power Pistol to make major, so I at least feel safe. No more PD after these though!

I see about 8 too, but it bothers nothing and accuracy is fine.

I see about 8 too, but it bothers nothing and accuracy is fine.

That depends. I was previously loading to 1.135" and was ending up with some rounds over 1.140" in my Glock. I'd been having some weird intermitent jams and I'm wondering if maybe some of the rounds were dragging the mag. I realized that the problems started happening about the time I started loading out of my latest batch of PDs. I'll see if my gun runs today now that I've seated further in and backed the powder drop down a bit. I'm wondering if the wide seating range might cause problems for guys running fast powders? I'm no expert though, I just know that I've never seen inconsistencies in bullet shape like this before within the same box. I expect a little variation in OAL due to natural "slop" in the press, but in 15 or so years of reloading I've never seen this much. :blink:

Edit to add: I'm not trying to bad-mouth PD, just passing on my experience. I shot about 4000 of their .40s last year and I've been shooting their 9mms without any trouble. The problem may be recent, as it only popped up in my last order. So if you buy just be sure to check your batch carefully and check OAL frequently. I've also had about one in a hundred or so have a crunched jacket at the base and have to toss the bullet. YMMV

Edited by AustinMike