Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gunowners discriminating against gunowners

rtr

One of the private ranges I belong to doesn't allow full auto weapons. I called the president of the range to ask why. He informed me of some of the political realities that lead to this rule being put in place when the range opened. Then he continued about his opinion of why full auto weapons shouldn't be allowed at this range, that they have no place there.

Gunowners have enough flack to deal with from the gun grabbers, people who shoot one kind of gun looking down on people who shoot other kinds is ridiculous. If you shoot guns whether muskets or miniguns you are my friends.

[quote If you shoot guns whether muskets or miniguns you are my friends.

Friends may be a strong word, but I hear where you are coming from. I used to get greif from hunting friends about practical shooting being so military like. Heck, some still do. I feel your pain and wish that gun owners wether they be Practical/Tactical/Hunting/Sporting/Black Powder... could all see that we are politically all in the same boat.

Just my .02

Now I live in South Africa so what I will do will not help you guys over in the US but I will not go to that range, ever. I will encourage other shooters not to use that range. Soon the owner will notice that his business is hurting and change his tune. How in hell will we ever make headway against the antis if out own people shoot us in the foot. Forward this post to the owner, maybe he/she/it will reconsider. With friends like this we don't need enemies.

Edited by Johann the Horrible

One of the ranges I'm a member of is a hard core clays shotgun range. Trap, Skeet, and Sporting Clays is the name of the games. And oh by the way we have a 100 yd rifle range at the end to sight in your hunting rifles. The 'rifle' range is a dump. Zero maintenance. Nothing is fixed till it literally falls off. The only time I use it is for chrono work.

The other day I had to break in my FN SLP shotgun. 100 rounds at a few clay birds ought to be a blast so I showed up. Seeing as I don't fit in anyway, tye-dye and an earring even when I'm doing registered Trap, I knew I'd be rubbing somebody wrong. The manager is semi-cool and he and I worked out an arrangement where I had a trap range to myself where I could blast away to get the gun up to speed. I'm good, he's good, but oh the Fudds. You would have thought I just picked up their daughter for the prom. My Gawd he's got an assualt shotgun and he's thowing multiple shots at those birds. That can't be right.

The FN SLP ran like a champ on quality ammo. (See CDNN for getting one. It's the exact same gun as the Super X2 Practical. $775) A few of the braver individuals inquired about the gun and about 3-gun. We sat in the clubhouse and talked the 'practical' side of scatterguns for a while. Those guys were OK. But there were still a few that thought I'd just taken a dump in the kitchen of their house. Them I keep an eye on. Remember, keep your friends close but your enemies closer. The others. I've offered the invite to the next shotgun man-on-man match.

I'll see what grows from the seeds I planted.

One of the private ranges I belong to doesn't allow full auto weapons. I called the president of the range to ask why. He informed me of some of the political realities that lead to this rule being put in place when the range opened. Then he continued about his opinion of why full auto weapons shouldn't be allowed at this range, that they have no place there.

Gunowners have enough flack to deal with from the gun grabbers, people who shoot one kind of gun looking down on people who shoot other kinds is ridiculous. If you shoot guns whether muskets or miniguns you are my friends.

That does suck...no doubt about it. I'd bet that the range is worried that full-auto will get their neighbors upset and cause legal problems for them...or something like that. Not at all a rebutal, but there is one thing that I have seen that bothers me at ranges that allow full-auto is that stuff seems to get shot up pretty badly (or at least a lot quicker) in comparison to ranges that don't allow full-auto. That's not a gun problem, but an education problem really.

Jeez

It's not like they need to listen to artillery rounds being fired.

There is a similar problem with some of the ranges around me - the "old guard" club members don't like anything that isn't bullseye or trap/skeet and do everything in their power to limit the club's use to only those disciplines. God-forbid you should attempt to draw from a holster or *gasp* fire more than 1 round a minute.

Similar problem here in the VA/MD section re: "one shot per second" (I think that came from an antiquidated set of "model range rules" - I won't say who's), "5 rounds max in magazine" etc. etc.

And in a neighboring state that does not issue CCW permits, forget about ranges allowing you to draw from a holster - even if you are a USPSA or IDPA member.

RE trap ranges: I get the same attitude from the trap & skeet crowd when i bring out my Super X-2 (funny thing is, its a designated competition gun). They usually shut up once you start breaking a few clays. But the attitude persists nontheless. :angry2:

I am sure that I know where you are talking about... :closedeyes:

If I am right, what are the nightly matches like? I would like to come on in soon.

But this makes me wonder some? :unsure:

T

• 2 weeks later...

So I asked the club to put a blurb in their monthly newsletter asking members who were interested in being able to use full auto weapons at the range to contact me, the club put it in. Tonight I get a call from the president saying that he and other board members think I am circumventing them by putting this in and that I should appear at the next board meeting to answer their questions. This should be fun.

I live in Des Moines, IA now, and I'm a member of the range we use for matches. It's a bit of a drive, but it's a good spot. It's really made me appreciate how good I had it in Cedar Rapids, IA. There was not one but two free, public ranges just outside of town run by the DNR. 200yd rifle ranges, 100yd pistol ranges, clay shooting areas, shooting benches/stands, the whole deal. All you had to do was show up and bring your guns, ammo, and targets. Beautiful.

Over on the AR15.com forum, there are quite a few mall ninja / gun-store commando types who, if they discover you live in a state such as NJ, NY, Mass, etc. that has a lot of gun control, they say, FU, you should move, I'm don't care about your situation.

I appeared before the board who asked me the same question repeatedly. Why would I try to get the rules changed if I knew the rules. Explaning that I think changing the rules would be beneficial wasn't received well. Guess I'll have to spend more time at the other range I belong to, fortunately it's closer to my house.

Edited by rtr

Our range has disarmed the range officers, made the entire range cold and disallowed the posession of firearms in the activity center. I am sure it is all "for the children."

-ld

Rio...?

I appeared before the board who asked me the same question repeatedly. Why would I try to get the rules changed if I knew the rules. Explaning that I think changing the rules would be beneficial wasn't received well. Guess I'll have to spend more time at the other range I belong to, fortunately it's closer to my house.

Sorry to hear it did not go better.

As a group, I have found that the members of gun club's boards of directors tend to be rather set in their ways and not very open minded when any change is suggested. :angry2:

So I asked the club to put a blurb in their monthly newsletter asking members who were interested in being able to use full auto weapons at the range to contact me, the club put it in. Tonight I get a call from the president saying that he and other board members think I am circumventing them by putting this in and that I should appear at the next board meeting to answer their questions. This should be fun.

I would tell the President of your board, politely, that he answers to you and the other members of the club, not vice versa. He is an elected club official nothing more and nothing less. At the club I used to belong to we had a board comprised of the rimfire bullseye crowd who thought that they controlled everything. The IDPA members at the club grew to the point that most of the entire board is comprised of action shooters. Now the bullseye crowd is on the outside looking in. You might want to remind him that a board that doesn't serve it's members won't last long.

Our range has disarmed the range officers, made the entire range cold and disallowed the posession of firearms in the activity center. I am sure it is all "for the children."

-ld

Rio...?

That would be the one.

-ld

Well...when yall are in my neighborhood :cheers:

Stop on in and shoot your 50bmgs or 20mms or your squirt guns ..on MY range!....FREE!

Jim

"LIFE IS GOOD!!!!!

sounds like you live like I do!! :cheers:

There has been a SAW, 1919, and multis of shoulder fired, and pistols going full auto....just from my deck ,plus driving from a moving vehicle, etc.....

I also have a open invitation to fellow shooters. "it usually gets put to good use when the MGM is going on.

LIFE IS GOOD!!!!!

the local gun club has been anti gun here too!! that just sucks when they pull that BS

You might want to remind him that a board that doesn't serve it's members won't last long.

Right, however the board appears to me to be basically self perpetuating. They can re-nominate themselves as a group and effectively prevent anyone else from joining. While it is possible to elect other folks, it has to be done at the annual meeting which is lightly attended and from the records I have seen most all of them support the current regime. The vast majority of the members have no idea who the board is, what they do or have any interest in getting involved. Additionally the bylaws state that no more than 2 or 3 of the board members can be from the same interest group (I take that to mean involved in different shooting disciplines) so it would be hard to takeover the board with likeminded folks.