Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gunowners discriminating against gunowners

rtr

As a group, I have found that the members of gun club's boards of directors tend to be rather set in their ways and not very open minded when any change is suggested.

That's what I thought until an elderly board member spoke in favor of my request to allow practical shooting practice at the club. After he was dead, his daughter wrote a book about his exploits as an assassin and spy for our side in WWII, so I guess he understood practical shooting :).

At my club I was at odds with some of the rules of my club (eg. shooting into side berms during uspsa matches) and found out that the source of the "rules" was from an NRA range development person. They gave a bunch of guidelines to the club to make the range "safer", and that was one of them.

I nearly didnt' renew my NRA membership over that one. I was mightily sore at that.

Ted

Hey Guys... Numbers always work.

Several clubs in which I am a member (becase of IDPA or USPSA)... had all the same type problems.

The solution was generating a considerable membership of action pistol shooters... How????

If the practice sessions are $5 for members and $10 for non-members.... and the matches are $25 for non-members and $15 for members--- then the percentage of action pistol shooters who become members is a "done deal".... when annual membership dues are $40 or $50...

Organize them to be at the annual meting and WOW-- the old skeet shooting farts can and will get booted !!!

All three of the clubs... had enough voting action pistol shooters in the space of a couple years to replace 90% of the board of directors with action pistol shooters..

PM me if you want more information. It's not easy --- But IT WILL WORK ! ! !

Hey Rob - that is excellent! I agree in the sense that its important to try even if your club's bod seems skeptical; you never know until you try.

At my club I was at odds with some of the rules of my club (eg. shooting into side berms during uspsa matches) and found out that the source of the "rules" was from an NRA range development person. They gave a bunch of guidelines to the club to make the range "safer", and that was one of them. I nearly didnt' renew my NRA membership over that one. I was mightily sore at that. Ted

Thanks Ted! I had always suspected that there was a source for some of the really dumb range rules I kept running into all over the US like:

- No more than 1 shot per second!

- No more than 5 rounds loaded in any magazine!

- No human silhouette or torso-shaped targets! (like we use in USPSA and IDPA).

- No holsters!

Suspected the NRA was behind it and I tried searching all over their website for "model range rules" but could never find it. Two problems with those rules are: 1) they rule out our sport or practicing for our sport and 2) reduces the range to effectively: - a sight-in only range. That kind of range will quickly bore the crap out of gun owners. They will then stop shooting. Then we all lose. NRA needs reform IMHO.

At my club I was at odds with some of the rules of my club (eg. shooting into side berms during uspsa matches) and found out that the source of the "rules" was from an NRA range development person. They gave a bunch of guidelines to the club to make the range "safer", and that was one of them.

I nearly didnt' renew my NRA membership over that one. I was mightily sore at that.

Ted

There are a lot of org's that will get my money; the NRA isn't one of them. The other thread on the NRA harassing it's members with solicitations is the other reason that I won't send my money to them.

-ld