Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2008 Area 2 / Rio Salado Desert Classic - Mesa, AZ, Get your applicati

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a few more pics from today. Also located at http://www.jscottdigitalphoto.com/a2

Finger in trigger ......DQ

1st row 2nd picture down

When I first saw the picture I thought the same thing until I noticed that there is a piece of brass just barely falling past his wrist. The pic was caught just an instant after he took the shot and was beginning his move so it's real hard to tell if in the next instant his finger came out as he moved or not. If it did come out in the next instant it would be nearly impossible for an RO to call it, if his finger stayed in then the RO would have had a chance to see and call it. Still photography can be deceiving because it captures only a slice of time.

I actually did DQ at A2 today. My 1st in a major.

Let me say that Jason was an absolute class act about the DQ. He was way better about having a prop knock his gun out of the holster and ending his match than I was about something far more minor when I ran completely past a port with the resultant cataclysmic effect on my score for the stage. I include learning not to throw a temper tantrum as one of the better lessons of this match.

You 'da man Jason!

Let me say that Jason was an absolute class act about the DQ. He was way better about having a prop knock his gun out of the holster and ending his match than I was about something far more minor when I ran completely past a port with the resultant cataclysmic effect on my score for the stage. I include learning not to throw a temper tantrum as one of the better lessons of this match.

You 'da man Jason!

Thanks Rick. And for all you Open guys out there. Rick did bring me cookies to the match for shooting on the darkside.

Edited by jasmap

Well...that happened. Somewhere in the back of my mind I vaguely recall another shooters DQ...at a major??? Hmm could be wrong.

I can't remember anyone transitioning to open as naturally or as proficiently as you. Sucks about the icy kick in the nuts and I

hate for you. Thing is, you'll be even tougher to beat from now on. Great. See you Saturday.

Jim

I was on squad 15 with Jason and watched the DQ, made me sick in slow motion. Jason took it as well as could be expected.

The following day I saw 2 more DQ's. An open shooter on Stage 1 had an AD during a reload and L10 shooter starting on stage 2 had his weapon hit the ground. I hated that I had to witness it, never a good thing.

Neal in AZ

Thanks Neal and Thanks Jim. It stunk to DQ myself but as you both know the RO was totally right.

It was a fun match and I enjoyed everything but DQing myself.

The RO'S were friendly and the weather was perfect. Thanks to the staff.

Okay, so how did the match go, other than the DQ's? Who won, how were the stages?

My first area 2 match and I had a blast.

First, results are up on uspsa.org under major matches.

The stages were challenging especially if you do a road-runner and pile up the

earth behind you trying to run & gun. Thankfully I held on to the gun all the way

to the ground, got up and finished the stage with only one mike.

Woulda been youtube material if it was on film.

Props were decent and monkey motions minimal if at all,

Except stage nine where you started holding a beer in your strong hand.

No-one would actually drop the beer in real life. :roflol:

Several stages seemed to be quite canned for field courses, for 32 round stages

there just weren't more than one or two ways to shoot them. Mostly due to targets

that were available only from one port. However, that

gave a good balance for accuracy and speed.

A huge thanks to the team that put this match on, and to all the sponsors

who were so generous with the prize table.

Congrats to all the shooters and winners, Nick Saiti Open, Taran Butler Limited, Steve Rubalcaba L10, Dave Sevigny Production, Richard Brethour Revo, and Mike Lin Single Stack.

Here are links to pics from all three days, mainly squad 21 but Taran, Glen, Nick, and others as well. http://www.jscottdigitalphoto.com/a2

Here is a link to as many of the winners receiving their medals as we could get. http://www.jscottdigitalphoto.com/a2/winners

This years A2 was a shooters match as far as I am concerned. This was a fun match to shoot, good mix of shooting challenges. You had to stay on your sights and trigger to do well. Weather certainly cooperated, great that it finally cooled down just in time for the match, week before during setup was still in the 90's. Enjoy the photo's. You might notice that some squad mates took some pics of me (that never happens) but you'll notice that every other picture is me reaching for a reload. Single Stack was challenging but nothing in the stages really penalized you as long as you took care of your shots. I don't know how the revo shooters felt but they looked like they had fun.

Okay, so how did the match go, other than the DQ's? Who won, how were the stages?

<snip>

<snip>

In real life, no one would be drinking Bud ;)

This match definitely place more emphasis on accuracy this year compared with last year....not a bad thing, just slightly different. Oh, and they had some crazy fast swingers that everyone commented on. I was squadded with Dave S and even he commented on the swingers on stage 11....what was that, oh, it was a swinger blasting past :surprise:

<snip>

<snip>

In real life, no one would be drinking Bud ;)

That was Bud Light. :sick:

Oh, and they had some crazy fast swingers that everyone commented on. I was squadded with Dave S and even he commented on the swingers on stage 11....what was that, oh, it was a swinger blasting past :surprise:

That WAS tough. Fast and pretty much the same color as the desert dirt berm!

Jim

I had fun, but I did not get out much past ware and what my squad was doing.

I liked the stages we had a good squad ,& made new friends

<_< I did not feel like the match had a big demand on accuracy, I felt like the ability to get into and out of position was the big test. With very few options on how to shoot each stage.

Stage 11 had the bid test with the fast swinger for the shooter to catch the swinger with one hit catch the static with two and back to the swinger with the second hit. <_< I couldn't pull that one off I had to go back and shoot at one of them again after "Blinking " on my first two shots at the left one :blink:

Jamie

Wow Scott F shot a great match :bow: its good when you get beat to have it be a through beating. I am very happy to place 2nd against a great shooter having a good match. :bow:

Edited by AlamoShooter

Oh, and they had some crazy fast swingers that everyone commented on. I was squadded with Dave S and even he commented on the swingers on stage 11....what was that, oh, it was a swinger blasting past :surprise:

I reeeeeeeally learned the importance of trigger prep at this match!

Edited by flyingchange

This was the third year for my wife and I at this match and we both enjoyed this one the most. This year had few distractions like the roller coaster and starfighter of the past years. I had two mikes for the match both on swingers. Thanks to everyone in squad 21 for a super fun time and of course thanks to our own personal photographer Scott :)