Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Favorite grips on J frame?

mdstihl

I've always liked the original Craig Spegel wood boot grips, and have used them for many years on my J-frames. The Uncle Mike's grips (if they're the ones I'm thinking of) are actually based on the Spegel design, so they may help you decide if Spegels would be an option. I don't think the UM grips are bad at all!

Edited by Carmoney

Hey fellas, just got a .38 Airweight, and it came with Uncle Mike's grips. I figure you're all a bunch of Smith guys in here; what's your favorite grips with the snubby revolvers? Thanks!

John

I have carried a J-frame since 1994 and have always come back to the Uncle Mike's as the best compromise FOR ME.

I have heard about a sticking problem with the rubber grips on clothing, etc. but have not experienced any problem in that regard myself and the Uncle Mike's are very "shootable" FOR ME.

I call it Ayoob disease. Everything is over analyzed and personal preference is expressed as objective fact. Things like effective grips and what gun you can effectively carry vary as to the individual

You just have to experiment. Most of us have drawers full of grips, etc. from determining what works.

Edited by underlug

Right now, my S&W 638 has Pachmayr Professional, Model SJ-CP grips on it.

But like Underlug writes, I also have a drawer full of grips that I have tried on various J-frames.

I've used the Uncle Mikes Boot Grip, Pachmayr Compacs, Hogue Monogrips (both the nylon and rubber), as well as the factory wood grips with a Tyler T-Grip adaptor.

Try as many different types as you can, before you buy, IMHO

I like the factory wood stocks with a Tyler T, of everything I have tried (and that covers just about everything available) that combo works the best for me.

+1 Tyler T -grip. Get the Tyler T-grip with a Barami Hip Grip and you get a pretty slick carry set-up. Only downside is the Hip Grip does not work well with speedloaders.

If you want to just carry it..... anything will work.

If you want to be able to shoot something with it at over arms length... I suggest Crimson Trace laser grips. I have a very early model S & W 60 with a sub-two inch barrel and it will still shoot with "big gun" accuracy thanks to the grips.

I put the Hogue Bantam monogrip grip on my 640 recently.

So far so good. Last Saturday I put 50 rounds of .357 mag 125 grain DoubleTap ammo through it. They get your attention but I figured if I can take that, I'm good to go.

Thanks for all the replies. I have no problem with the Uncle Mikes, in fact I like 'em a lot. I haven't noticed any tendecy to snag or drag on clothing yet. I ran 50 rounds or so through it last week, and was pretty impressed with the "milk jug" accuracy at 10 yards off hand. I've really fallen in love with it. It's got the shrouded hammer, every little corner and edge has been smoothed off, it's light, convenient, and always there. As far as the Assoob syndrome (lol) I make it a point to not put myself in bad situations. I can't imagine the average civilian walking around with 2 spare clips, yada yada. If I need more than 2 rounds, I'm in bigger trouble than I can handle anyway. Hopefully, when I'm old and gray I'll say "carrying that damn thing was a waste of time!"

Edited by mdstihl

If you really like carrying the gun look into Crimson Trace laser grips. I just put a set on my gun and it id the 1st time I could shoot anything like a group with a snubbie J frame. It has a very bright dot that is visible in daylight (at least the day I took it out).

For the J Frame you'll need to use whatever grips allow you to shoot the gun well enough to make the hits. These guns are extremely difficult to shoot well even for those of us who are well accustomed to revolvers and heavy recoil. Find grips that don't make your hand bleed (if there is such a thing for a J Frame) and allow you to actually shoot without too much fear, flinch or pain. Years ago I had a Model 60 that was stolen and I never shed a tear for it after I replaced it with an SP101. Oh, and count on using more than two rounds if and when the lead flies. From the shootings I've seen and been involved in, it just ain't so easy.

Dave Sinko

If you really like carrying the gun look into Crimson Trace laser grips. I just put a set on my gun and it id the 1st time I could shoot anything like a group with a snubbie J frame. It has a very bright dot that is visible in daylight (at least the day I took it out).

+1 on the Crimson Trace Laser Grips.

Factory square butt wood with the Tyler t-grip works for me on a model 37. I've got big hands but have no problems going through cylinders worth of ammo at BUG matches with it. As far as accuracy goes...they are as accurate as they were intended to be for their specific use. Love 'em!

Here is what the Nill boot grips look like. I like them because they are thicker and make .357's feel like .38 PPC rounds. Well, maybe not quite but they seem to help some with recoil for me.

IMG_2239.jpg

Edited by festus1

I put the Hogue Bantam monogrip grip on my 640 recently.

So far so good. Last Saturday I put 50 rounds of .357 mag 125 grain DoubleTap ammo through it. They get your attention but I figured if I can take that, I'm good to go.

+1

if it is for carry these are great very compact I have them on my 340pd

If you want to just carry it..... anything will work.

If you want to be able to shoot something with it at over arms length... I suggest Crimson Trace laser grips. I have a very early model S & W 60 with a sub-two inch barrel and it will still shoot with "big gun" accuracy thanks to the grips.

+2 on the Crimson Trace grips. I would also add you should go with the smaller hard plastic ones so they don't "grab" at your clothing. The sticky rubber grips would tug on my shirt and cause the gun to print. The plastic doesn't do that. Also, having a revo makes spare ammo easier to carry too. Get a couple of Bianchi Speedstrips that will sit nice and flat in your pocket. This was always easier for me than a spare mag for the auto. IMHO, Revos are so much easier to carry/conceal.

-Cuz.

Thanks again for all the replies. If or when I change grips, it will the CT. I'm not really into tacticool stuff, and it shoots quite well as is. Dave Sinko, what I meant about only using two shots was, if I need more than that I'm in deep trouble anyway. ;) I don't go looking for trouble or gunfights, (but I don't keep my head in the sand either.) Regardless, I like the way the gun handles targets, and I can put 50 or so rounds through it without it beating my hands up, so all is good. The way it is is good enough for me, for now.

Does anyone know of a source for the Uncle Mikes grips for S&W K/L frames? I have one set on a Smith Mod. 65 square butt. I would like to get a set of the same for an L frame round butt. I checked their web site and they don't seem to list hand gun grips.

On a J frame, I like the grips to be minimal so I can put it in my pocket. Here's my 642 with Ahrends cocobolo boot grips.

642ahrendsgalco.jpg

Gary

Wow those are sweet that going to be the next thing I get for my 340PD thanks for the pic

Edited by bigtex84