Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

since money is tight.... sponsors?

Ridgerunnr

I know many sports especially the local stock car racers utilize sponsors to help fund their hobby. Does anyone do this or is it considered tacky ? I know the pros that shoot use them but how bout just a regular weekend competitor? T-shirts with sponsor names would work and would help pay the ammo bill. I could afford to practice a lot more and would help with moving up in scores etc..

+1 to what Jake said. The potential sponsor will more than likely want the potential sponsoree to ALREADY be a great/good shooter. They need to receive business due to the sponsored shooter's performances. Only a handful of guys can truly be sponsored unless you know someone willing to do it as a favor. If you have that opportunity then go for it!

I have always said that if Stayfree or Kotex was giving sponser money I would wear it proud on my back.

Most businesses are looking to get a return on advertising investment but some people enjoy "helping out the kid" so go for it.

Magtech ammunition offers a contigency program, there is a $20 sign up fee and it allows you to received I think 25% discount on ammo, but you have to shoot sanctioned matches of 170+ shooters.

There are not alot of companies out there that are going to be willing to "give" someone something just for wearing a shirt at local matches, there is not alot of return in it for them.

Now go out there win the Nationals a couple of times in your division, may a few Area matches and some sectionals and you might have a shot a getting something from them other than a free t-shirt.

When it comes to manufactures of ammunition we are a very small group for them, almost don't exist in their eyes. What do we have something like 15,000 members, so that is not a very big number on a national advertising scale. Especially when you consider that most of these companies see us as a group that uses specialized competition ammunition, not a big market for them.

Had a chance to road race motorcycles for a number of years as well as help a little with a semi-pro with aspects of his marketing program for a year or two. Pros in any sport who solicit sponsorship realize that, first and foremost, sponsorship is a business/marketing decision and the first question the hopeful sponsoree must answer is not "What's in it for me" but "What's in it for you," i.e. the sponsor.

As other posters have stated. family or a local business "might" want to kick a buck or two if they like you, just to help, but that's a gift, not a business/marketing decision. Our sport isn't a widespread enough market (enough numbers) with enough exposure (enough consumer eyeballs) to attract much interest outside the group of competitors themselves. A tiny handful of top national shooters will reap whatever opportunities are available from a industry sponsors who are primarily interested in marketing to shooters.

Businessmen don't want to subsidize your hobby...they want to subsidize their own hobbies B)

Bayou nailed it. If you ask a business for a sponsorship, you're asking them for time, money and special treatment... often at the expense of paying clients. If you come up with a marketing plan, present it professionally and demonstrate real ROI for the company, you stand a fighting chance.

But remember, if you approach a company with 'Will you sponsor me?' the answer will 9999 out of 10000 be 'NO!'.

What do YOU have that THEY want?

Edited by Sethmark

It's not considered tacky, but it does need to be approached the right way. Probably your best bet of picking up a sponsor is to go to bigger matches and do well. You might get lucky and end up squaded with some of the manufacturers reps or the company owners themselves...strike up a friendship and who knows what might happen? With that said, you've got to be a pretty good shooter to start with for it to be worth their time. They want to have people wearing their shirt that are going to have their name pretty far up the leaderboard. That's not to say you need to be the greatest shooter in the world. Lots of companies would rather have a really good shooter who's a decent person and represents the company well rather than the best shooter who's a jerk. STI does have the contingency program where if you do well at large matches (like win your class at an area match) they give you a set dollar amount in product for free...if you wear their shirt while shooting that match and have signed up in advance (free).

I know quite a few people and several friends who are business owners. Several of them have already offered to sponsor it to promote their business. I was talking to a couple over lunch and they asked me if i needed sponsors. They are VERY familiar with the sponsor aspect as they use it in their racing sport.. I was thinking about takin them up on the offer to help get things going. I would dream of hitting up anyone at all much less a friend unless I was already accomplished. BUT i figure since they offered I would ask...I just dont want to show up at a match and be looked at like an idiot..lol Its hard enough to go do new things without folks judging you...I am not going to go thru with until i see how it goes at first. One said he'd pay couple hundred in ammo to have his name on my gun cases etc..Then it grew from there..lol Talk went to business name on back of shirt and since more people would see that he offered to buy my next gun if I could make enough matches...lol It got outta hand in a hurry..lol...I have done a lot for the two guys I mention over the years. They are mostly trying to help me in return yet get something for their money at the same time... Not tryin to be a "big wheel" at all or show off..heck i'll get my butt kicked at the matches anyway but at least I might not have to pay the ammo bil!

from what you stated, id say go for it!! :cheers:

but........ heres my 02, friends are different when business is involved. they are giving a portion of their money to "help" you out. when does that end? remember business have to make money too, then your shooting hobby will turn out to be your job...IMHO

yeah thats true as well and something to be aware of. I guess an understanding of # of matches etc and whats expected would be in order for sure. I already go thru over 1500 rounds a yr shooting misc firearms at home. This way at least I can be working toward a goal rather than just punching paper for groups.

If people are willing to give you money, make sure it is worth you time and effort to take it and you can deliver what they want.

A couple hundred for ammo wouldn't be worth that much time or effort. You can shoot that much easily in a few good practice sessions.

Edited by Loves2Shoot

I already go thru over 1500 rounds a yr shooting misc firearms at home.

You do realize that's less than 5% of what the typical UN-sponsored competitor on this forum is putting downrange in year. Right?

Just trying to give you a metric of where the competition is...

You do realize that's less than 5% of what the typical UN-sponsored competitor on this forum is putting downrange in year. Right?

Thats at times is my weekly rate when getting ready for a big match.

I joke about having a sponsor, I have a friend that give my caps and hot sauce. :goof:

My wife had a jacket made for me with her business name on it.

Edited by vrmn1

I believe in a different approach. As some have said it is almost impossible for a company to "give" you something. I use the "you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours" philosophy. What most businesses in the firearms industry are looking for is name recognition. When I approach a potential sponsor I am not looking for them to give me product but offer it to me at a greatly reduced rate. Ideally you would like to get it for their cost but sometimes they can't do that. This way sponsorship is not hurting their bottom line.

Ammo and ammo components are obviously your greatest expense. This is the first area that I work on. If you can work a deal with your local gun store that would be a good way to start. You attend all the matches that you can wearing their hat or t-shirt.

Ridgerunnr, I don't think all posters on this thread are reading all posts. I don't think it's tacky, I think you have supportive friends who happen to own

businesses and want people to see their name be it few or many. I have had instrument and string endorsements in the past, it does not suck.

Here is what I do and it ain't much but it helps. I shoot 5-6 major matches a year. I ask my employer, non gun related, if they want to sponser me for those matches there will be X amount of people and my expenses will be X. Last year, they did the ones that where close around here and all I had to do was wear their shirt and hat. They didn't care where I finished it was cheap advertising for them. Then again that isn't going to pay the ammo bills but it helps.

Not all sponsors have to be gun related. If you go to your dentist and say I'm going to these matches would you pay for the entry fees and I'll wear your shirt/hat/have buisness cards if needed what do they have to loose? Match fees for the most part are cheaper than any other advertising.

Just my 02

There may be an untapped market here.

Most everyone thinks 'go to the nats' or 'go to big matches', do well, and maybe find a sponsor.

There's more to USPSA than the top dogs!!! How about putting someone other than a GM on the cover of Front Sight?

Anyway, what I mean is there could be a 'local' aspect to sponsorship that is untapped. Local businesses for local audiences.

Local gunsmith? Local Tire Shop? Local Sporting Goods Store?

Example: Sportsmans Warehouse used to give their employees NICE coupons to pass around at the local shooting events. They might give you a discount in exchange for wearing their hat or shirt.

I could image that if you were a fair shooter, but also were well spoken, friendly, and supportive, you might be worthy of sponsors. Where I live, you can attend 4-5 matches a month, at four different clubs. There are lots of opportunities to be seen, and to let people know that 'Bob's Wiener Shack' is helping support the sport. Volunteer for the Jr. Program, and help with setup/teardown at the matches. Represent your sponsor in a good light.

Personally, I'd make it a point to patronize any business that was supporting the sport! "Hungry? Lets get a dog at Bob's, he is a good guy!"

I say 'Go for it!'. Have a good value proposition. Maybe you'll get discount powder and bullets, maybe more!

Edited by Jeff686

If most folks knew how much spnonsor money was thrown around at a local dirt track for stock cars theyd wouldnt believe it! It aint Nascar either but several drivers are getting 10-25 thousand dollars each for sponsor ships...Heck even a few hundred to help with fees n ammo n gas money..A club could put business cards from sponsors on a bulletin board so members might choose to do business with those that sonsor our sport. ..just a thought

+ 1... and shoot I am new to this game :cheers: