Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA Vests?

Jay6

Smith and Alexander, Woolrich Elite, 511 are all popular. I use a Jeep branded vest. I also use a LL Bean Fleece vest in cooler weather available in tall sizes for the extra length. I also had an Eddie Bauer that I left on the range never to be seen again. I liked it as it looked less tactical.

The fleece types do not sweep out of your way well during a draw and require a very deliberate motion to clear the gun. Just my experience others may vary.

Smith and Alexander, Woolrich Elite, 511 are all popular. I use a Jeep branded vest. I also use a LL Bean Fleece vest in cooler weather available in tall sizes for the extra length. I also had an Eddie Bauer that I left on the range never to be seen again. I liked it as it looked less tactical.

The fleece types do not sweep out of your way well during a draw and require a very deliberate motion to clear the gun. Just my experience others may vary.

Any sites you might reccomend for finding something?

Any sites you might reccomend for finding something?

Just type "5.11" into google.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=5.11

This is one of the more popular "IDPA costums" or IDPA outfits most shooters wear. With good reason, they have inserts on the inside that stiffen up the front panels so when you go to sweep the gun it clears easily and they usually run around $75.

I just use a regular vest because I'm not too tacticool. If you are crafty, you could use low profile carpet and cut out small panels and use fabric glue to glue to the inside of your vest and it would work just as well. I used to use a fleece vest that I just cut out some cardboard material and inserted it on the inside pockets and it worked great. I'll still use it when it gets cooler out.

Edited by Aristotle

SO Mode:

Based on the rules quoted below I'd be leery of putting cardboard in my vest. I think that is worded pretty loosely and a gray area for sure I'd bet not all clubs are likely to allow it.

Competitor Mode:

Do I fluff open my vest pockets before a stage with retention? Yes

3. Concealment Garments.

All equipment should be so placed that, when wearing an open

concealment garment with your arms extended at your sides and

parallel to the ground, it can NOT been seen from the front, rear or

sides. Your concealment garment should be practical for your

environment and loose enough to allow easy movement.

Competition only garments are prohibited. Competition only

garments are defined as: vented or mesh vests that allow the

firearm, holster, spare ammo or ammo carriers to be visible when

standing normally, chest pockets, specially-made pockets or any

material inserted in pockets or around pockets to keep the pocket

open for stowage of partial magazines after a reload. Garments

that are considered “competition only” will incur an FTDR.

See “Proper Magazine Retention” in the Glossary for further

details.

Edited by Greg Bell

SO Mode:

Based on the rules quoted below I'd be leery of putting cardboard in my vest. I think that is worded pretty loosely and a gray area for sure I'd bet not all clubs are likely to allow it.

What about using starch on a pocket? I would think the cardboard could get you a FTDR or kicked out.

I believe the wording of the rule on vests is specific to modifications of a garment to prop open a pocket (for easier stowing of partial magazines when required).

The cardboard idea posted earlier was for making sure the vest clears the gun well when swept. Without it, it could bunch up and slow down the draw, or even cause some safety issues. TL's first suggestion is good, because denim is stiff enough to work well.

Matt Burkett recommends the 5.11 in his IDPA DVD, and specifically mentions the velcro pad and how it makes draws easier and safer.

I bought the 5.11 vest for $17 when they were unloading the digi camo color at http://www.lapolicegear.com/closeouts.html

I don't see it listed any more but maybe some other sellers still have the discontinued color(s) at a discount.

It's ugly, but it's not as if I'd wear any color or form of it anywhere but an IDPA match.

Edited by bp78

I bought the 5.11 vest for $17 when they were unloading the digi camo color at http://www.lapolicegear.com/closeouts.html

I don't see it listed any more but maybe some other sellers still have the discontinued color(s) at a discount.

It's ugly, but it's not as if I'd wear any color or form of it anywhere but an IDPA match.

+1

That's where I got mine, and yes, it is ugly.

+1

That's where I got mine, and yes, it is ugly.

It is not ugly.. it is FUGLY..

Jay6, Give Winterport Boot a call in Brewer.. 207-989-6492, they have the 5.11 gear.

Check sporting goods stores, department stores, etc. that carry winter stuff. Things are going on clearance already and I've seen lightweight vests on clearance racks that would be suitable. I got one made by Columbia off a clearance rack at REI for $30 one year. It works for a fraction of the cost of the tactical versions.

If you're looking for something less "tacti-cool" go to this thread:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...205&hl=vest

You might get a laugh out of it.

IIRC, it was Patrick Sweeney who went and shot S&W's indoor nationals in a tweed sport jacket a few years ago. More dapper than tacti-cool. Sometimes it's better to fly under the radar like that.

I'm thinking that a BDU top either in a desert tan, OD green, or black color (NOT camo'ed!!) with the sleeves carefully torn out would be the least expensive route to go. I'm guessing 15 bucks or less from your nearest surplus store. Bonus is, it might actually have been made here in the States.

Besides, if you wear it out in public, it doesn't scream "I'M CCW'ING!!" like those 5.11 style vests do.

I believe the wording of the rule on vests is specific to modifications of a garment to prop open a pocket (for easier stowing of partial magazines when required).

The cardboard idea posted earlier was for making sure the vest clears the gun well when swept. Without it, it could bunch up and slow down the draw, or even cause some safety issues. TL's first suggestion is good, because denim is stiff enough to work well.

Matt Burkett recommends the 5.11 in his IDPA DVD, and specifically mentions the velcro pad and how it makes draws easier and safer.

Thank you!! Word for word, that's what I was intending if I wasn't as clear as I should have been. It's for clearing my panel to get to my gun easier, not to use to prop open my pockets. But I can see where I could have made that area "fuzzy". :cheers:

FWIW, the velcro panels in the 5.11 vests aren't primarily for stiffening, though they do perform that function. They're there to stick stuff (holsters, light pouches, etc.) to so the stuff doesn't move around. There are holsters and such made for this.

tacVest_polo_jeans_lg.jpg

I have one like this if anyone is interested in buying it. I used it like 2-3 times and it is in prestine condition. I bought it about 4 years ago for IDPA and a Matt Burkett class and havn't used it since as I do not live in a "free" state and cannot carry concealed. It has literally been hanging in the closet all these years! I will let it go for $50 plus $10 priority mail for anyone interested.

For those interested in yet another alternative that is a good deal cheaper than the 5.11 vest Cabela's safari vest does a nice job. It sells for $49.95 and is well made with plenty of pockets. I actually prefer the pocket configuration over the 5.11 vest but don't ask me to explain the differences. The safari vest does not have any velcro pads/stiffeners in it. But I haven't had any trouble drawing from under it.

DWS

We have from time to time thought of running a "Men in Black" match, wear your old, no londer serviceable suit to shoot the match. All stages stat with jacket buttoned.

No trick crap allowed. You have to actually unbutton your jacket, draw and engage.

You would be allowed other than dress shoes for safety reasons on the indoor range floor. Just too slippery!.

Might even require sunglasses and a tie.

Jim