Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How many of you have a backup rifle?

TLD

Is it really necessary? How many failures have you had with an AR system?

I'm thinking of getting another bolt that headspaces, and after I install a new trigger, use the original as a backup. Do you think that would be adequate?

It sucks to have a gun go belly up even if I only drive a couple hours and pay $20 or $30 for the local matches I frequent. I had a friend who loaned me his but it would be nice to be able to fix most stuff between stages.

For the AR I usually take a complete backup upper with optic to major matches. For local matches I just bring my main rifle with no back-ups (parts or rifle) whatsoever.

If you can deal with the hassle of hauling it around and the added expense I think a back-up anything is a sound practice.

All kinds of things can happen.

In SMM3G during one year I had my AR break an extractor on one stage and on another it did some burst action on me. The next year it burst on me again. Both times I went to Accuracy Speaks to have it fixed or adjusted. Last year when it went burst on me I was so frustrated and pissed off I had Accuracy Speaks install their trigger on my lower during the match.

I come back home and it burst on me twice during two local matches and it burst on me again at the R&R match in Oregon.

A back-up trigger and a back-up for the nut behind the trigger would be good. A complete bolt would also be good. But a back-up bolt and carrier would be better.

I have 2 complete rifles (tac and lim) but never bring both to a match. I will bring a complete bolt assy since its light and fits in my parts box, but I never had to use it during a match.

Plus everyone I shoot with pretty much uses the same gun so I just borrow (or vice versa) if necessary. They kinda get mad though when I borrow a gun 'cause I usually end up beating them with it :)

Edited by Chris

......... plus i have friends that could share if it really crapped out.

Trapr

+1

Extra parts....? I carry a gunsmith with me to matches... :cheers:

I was wondering how you get him in your shooting bag :blink:

Jim :D

PS dont need any spare rifle parts....mine dont break :cheers:

I'll be carrying a back up upper at the most. Like others though a good selection of spare parts is all I've ever brought. I picked up one of the fishing tackle boxes w/ dividers and Wally World and then loaded up on all the junk that "breaks". Full BCG, gas rings, extractors, etc. It also holds the cleaning supplies minus my rod so it just goes in the shooting bag.

Rich

I shoot Tac Iron, meaning these days that it would be harder to find a rifle to borrow. For major matches I always bring a spare rifle, pistol and shotgun. My spare guns are not exact copies of my primary guns, but they are better than nothing. I have been shooting 3-gun for many years and have never needed the spare guns, nor even pulled parts off them, but it is comforting to know they are there. I only attend matches I can drive to, so the bulk/weight is not an issue. If I was flying, then I would make a different choice.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

I have no patience for guns that are not reliable and accurate. If I think that my equipment has a reliability issue, it does not go to matches until it is fixed. That being said, I carry a little kit with gas rings, extractors, and a full set of springs and pins.

One of the big reasons to clean your guns everytime out is to catch stuff that is cracked or is becoming worn, and replace it then. That tends to take care of the stuff that does wear. I have heard of people commenting that the gas tube takes so long to replace that you might as well have two uppers. Thing is though, that a well aligned gas tube lasts as long as the barrel, and you should catch it going bad at home too.

Billski

I have 2 complete rifles (tac and lim) but never bring both to a match. I will bring a complete bolt assy since its light and fits in my parts box, but I never had to use it during a match.

Plus everyone I shoot with pretty much uses the same gun so I just borrow (or vice versa) if necessary. They kinda get mad though when I borrow a gun 'cause I usually end up beating them with it :)

or you break theirs as well (remember vegas?)

I have no patience for guns that are not reliable and accurate. If I think that my equipment has a reliability issue, it does not go to matches until it is fixed. That being said, I carry a little kit with gas rings, extractors, and a full set of springs and pins.

One of the big reasons to clean your guns everytime out is to catch stuff that is cracked or is becoming worn, and replace it then. That tends to take care of the stuff that does wear. I have heard of people commenting that the gas tube takes so long to replace that you might as well have two uppers. Thing is though, that a well aligned gas tube lasts as long as the barrel, and you should catch it going bad at home too.

Billski

What are the hints a gas tube is going bad? Worn tip?

You can look at the bulb on the end of the tube, where it goes into the carrier key. I have a little dental mirror to see on the top side. Either a quick check of the tube, or wait until it starts failing to lock open and or other short stroking symptoms.

In truth, if the carrier (no bolt) slides in and out without tweaking the tube, you won't put enough wear on it in the life of a barrel to matter. If it is tweaking the tube, tube life will be short. Fix it by bending the tube (gently) to a position where the carrier runs without causing the tube to move...

Billski

Edited by wsimpso1

or you break theirs as well (remember vegas?)

I think that was more ammo related. My 1187 gave it up on the first stage, so I borrowed an 1100CM from JB. But that last death jam was because the extractor pulled through the rim on the shell. Winchester sent me a certificate for a new case of ammo after I called to complain about it. :)

Depending on the match (round count and conditions) I have hauled an extra rifle, even used it once. Usually will take an extra carrier group and gas block with gas tube attached. Been known to take an extra scope cause guys will run over them. :surprise:

I used to carry all that stuff. Now I just take one of each. For the rifle I carry a spare extractor and spring. For the pistol and shotgun...nada. I can always find something to use if I have to.

Now when I'm not going to a match but going somewherwe where I am on my own, I carry a lot more spare parts. I hate not being able to shoot Prairie dogs if I don't have gas rings....etc. KurtM