Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need help removing scope mount screws

PistolPete

I have a Brazos Pro SC Open gun that I wanted to add a thumbrest to the scope mount. I have a torx bit but because it is loctited on it is just twisting the torx bit. Do I need to heat this up to remove the two bolts? What should I use to heat it up with? If I heat it won't it hurt the seal of the other bolts? hmmmm maybe I don't need the thumb rest. HAHA

Thanks,

Pete

You can put a soldering gun tip in the screw and it will just heat the screw you are trying to loosen with out hurting any of the others.

Greg in VA

+1 for this method..... has always worked for me... you can get the heat on the screw head OR on the tail of the screw from the inside.. sometimes the inside is easier... that way the scope mount is not acting likea big heat sink.

If you're worried about heating too much area, or if you don't have a soldering iron, you can heat the screwdriver tip itself with a cig lighter or whatever. It will sometimes be enough heat to loosen the loctite. Can be reheated as many times as necessary.

• 7 years later...

necro thread - okay i got three of five screws removed using a bic lighter. the other two ain't budging, even with the soldering iron trick above. i have totally twisted both ends of two hex keys. another suggestion please. i tried heating inside (eg inside dust cover) and also the heads of the screws. help pls, thanks!!

Hello: Harbor Freight sell a small orange handled butane torch that works great for heating them up. Go slow since it gets hot quick. You will need to buy some butane to fill it when new. These also make a great cigar lighter as well. Thanks, Eric

Doubled

Edited by Sarge

Hello: Harbor Freight sell a small orange handled butane torch that works great for heating them up. Go slow since it gets hot quick. You will need to buy some butane to fill it when new. These also make a great cigar lighter as well. Thanks, Eric

+1 on a butane pencil type torch. I'm amazed a bic worked at all. If the red loctite is done right it takes some real heat. Also agree on not overdoing it. Typically you'll see a little wisp of smoke when it breaks down

I'd use an electric heat gun. Anything with flame and you risk discoloring or worse burning the finish on the gun. Removed the mount on my Trubor using electric heat gun, it had red locktite. Your going to need to get it pretty warm. More than you want to touch with your bare hand. You need about 480 degrees to soften the red locktite to be able to break the bond.

Much better control if you put the heat gun in a vise and pass the gun frame / mount in and out of the heat. I wouldn't worry about the heat affecting the other screws, once it cools down they will be fine. When I put the new screws in I applied the locktite around the top of the screw on the countsunk part of the head, not the threads into the frame. Locktite between the screw head and the mount will setup and hold plenty good enough to keep the screws from backing out.

But I'd probably call Brazos and ask for advise.

Edited by shotgunone

Hello: The D one at McMaster is the same as the Harbor Freight one but costs a lot less. Thanks, Eric

Yeah... but the company pays for Mac, and it is delivered same day! :) You order before lunch - a curried brings it in the afternoon! :)

• 3 weeks later...