Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fine line between ethics and rules...

Ron Ankeny

For the sake of discussion, suppose we had a speed shoot called A racing We Go that is similar to the classifier Front Sight, with two rounds on each of three targets, Virginia Count. Consider this video clip (it's a WMV file).

A racing we go.

As the shooter, what is the ethical thing to do in this situation? Obviously, the RO is going to have a tough time calling this anythig but an extra shot.

Edited by Ron Ankeny

Ethics have to be the most important thing, or = no reason to play the game. As an ro I see that the 5th shot was early and off the target #7 was a make up shot. For USPSA just the extra shot penalty. For IDPA ? ?I think it would be called ? A DQ for an unaimed shot? I don't know

As the shooter If I did not know where #5 bullet went :blink: I may have to pack it up.

What do you mean, "what's the ethical thing to do"? DQ yourself cause you triggered an extra shot? Getting ahead of yourself and breaking an extra shot on a target - even if you were "multi-tasking" (<_<) and indexing to the next (close) target at the same time - is not a DQ'able offense.... Breaking that shot over the berm, or when obviously not engaging targets is another story....

It's an AD... is it a DQable for that one? Nah, even as hard assed as I am about them I wouldn't call that one, though you would get a raised eyebrow when you looked at me on USC. :)

Extra shot.

Edited by JThompson

This is most definitely not an AD. It IS an extra shot, as stated by many. Possibly an extra hit if there is one when the targets are scored. The shooter was engaging targets the whole time, the round wasn't fired in a way to cause it to leave the confines of the bay (although I'd bet a bunch were skipping out), so no DQ.

Troy

There's ADs and there's ADs... If the shot broke before he called it then it's an AD no matter what. That's why he asked... he knew it was an AD in the sense that he didn't mean to let that one go where it did. Is that a DQable AD? No. But he let it go bewteen the two targets and before he wanted to then it is "Accidental." I'm not trying to be contrary to Troy... we all know his quals, but I think we tend to overlook the true meaning of AD and substitute the USPSA. If he was suprised that a shot went off then it's an AD.

Ron brought this up because he knows it was an AD folks... the question here is not whether it (was) an AD, but if he should call it on himself. I do not think it's an unsafe action on his part, but one born of excessive trigger prep on a rocknroll run.

Bottom line, for me, is that he didn't want that shot to break when it did. I have little ADs all the time... they are called Ds and mikes. ;)

The ethical thing to do is own up to the extra shot. Remember that we get to watch it over and over, the RO was (should be) doing several things during that string and may not have been able to count the shots at WARP 9 speed that is displayed. If the RO didn't catch it bring it to his attention.

AD, DQ, BS. Prepping during the transition is something we all do or should do, breaking the shot as you are coming into the target is not an AD in my mind.

It's an AD... is it a DQable for that one? Nah, even as hard assed as I am about them I wouldn't call that one, though you would get a raised eyebrow when you looked at me on USC. :)

Extra shot.

Sorry Bud, that is NOT an AD....

Extra shot.

Sorry Bud, that is NOT an AD....

Nope, not by USPSA standards it's not. As I said at the end of my first post.... extra shot.

If I was the good guy standing between the two targets I might think otherwise. ;) I think everyone gets stuck on the USPSA version of an AD. I'm talking about a shot before intended... this was just that... that's an accidental discharge.

Question: Did you intend to shoot between those two targets? No? What happened? You accidentally let the shot go early... I hate to break it to everyone, but that IS an AD. No not a USPSA version of one, but an AD just the same.

I respect your thoughts on the matter it's just that you are wrong and I am right. :D lol

Maybe it's just a miss. ;)

I've done the same.

I had traded into a G34 a few years back. It had some trigger work done to it that shortened th pre-travel. I tried it out in a match...thus, I was not used to the trigger.

I came onto a target that had a no-shoot guarding it on the side I was coming in from. The typical no-shoot perf lined up with the A-zone perf.

I started to prep the trigger...which didn't have the pre-travel I was used to...bang, nailed the no-shoot when the shot broke early. (I recall it being a nice, fat Alpha hit on the NS too.)

I was engaging a target, but the gun went off before I expected it to. I can see where one might call that an AD...not by our rules...but, an AD in general. I'd probably still stick with a miss...after all, is it really an "accident" if I am actively engaging targets? I'd call it an accident if I wasn't engaging targets and had the gun go off.

Maybe it's just a miss. ;)

I've done the same.

I had traded into a G34 a few years back. It had some trigger work done to it that shortened th pre-travel. I tried it out in a match...thus, I was not used to the trigger.

I came onto a target that had a no-shoot guarding it on the side I was coming in from. The typical no-shoot perf lined up with the A-zone perf.

I started to prep the trigger...which didn't have the pre-travel I was used to...bang, nailed the no-shoot when the shot broke early. (I recall it being a nice, fat Alpha hit on the NS too.)

I was engaging a target, but the gun went off before I expected it to. I can see where one might call that an AD...not by our rules...but, an AD in general. I'd probably still stick with a miss...after all, is it really an "accident" if I am act. ively engaging targets? I'd call it an accident if I wasn't engaging targets and had the gun go off.

Gotta love this guy.... leave it to Flex to cut through it and leave most of us nodding ascent. You are a true diplomat and BE chose well.

Best,

Jim