Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DPMS aquired by Cerberus

Well, word is that they want to get into military supply. But why buy DPMS if they already have Bushmaster? Unless they think they can get FN's M16 supply contract and they need both companies to do the production. Who knows?

They may not be a gun loving company. If they get the M16 contract you may see both DPMS and Bushmaster go away and become military only. When was the last time you saw a FN AR-15 for sale on a dealer shelf?

Scott

(tin foil hat mode on)

I'm just a little worried about a company who is named after the mythical 3 headed dog that guarded Hades (and the Medussa?).

(mode off)

I've heard or read somewhere that their mantra is "turn/burn/earn". I guess that implies they trim a lot of fat off the companies they take over.

I guess?

Anyone know if they are a publicly traded company? If so, what is there 3 or 4 letter stock exchange identifier?

One would think if they gobbled up too much of the AR producing sector that it would raise some anti-trust/anti-monopoly issues.

Cobb makes or did make some uber cool AR like "toys". Very expensive, but cool nonetheless. I got to check them out at their booth at the NRA show.

Likely the only thing they are 'pro' on is MONEY. May be good for these companies, tho, as Cerberus will build them up & then sell (IMO).

Or tear it down and sell; which ever nets the most money.

I left my last job after it was taken over by CVC as they turned it into a nightmare.

The "No Weapon" signs applied on every entrance told me it was time to go and they knew what they were going to do.

(Wonder how they'll do that at an AR plant?) :surprise:

But some private equity firms are hands off, hope this one is too.

FM

Edited by Front Man

Maybe now DPMS will start turning out some quality stuff!

I dont understand where that came from. I have several ar's and some are DPMS, and they have been as good or better than the Bushmasters and Colts I have. Parts break on everything that is used heavily and I have had nothing but good results from my DPMS's. In fact, its the most accurate factory gun I have.

That certainly has NOT been my experience with my several ARs from DPMS. IMO the quality is second to none. :huh:

DPMS puts out a very nice AR - and other components. Perhaps without the glitter of some but tight QC and very resonable prices. :cheers:

That certainly has NOT been my experience with my several ARs from DPMS. . :huh:

DPMS puts out a very nice AR - and other components. Perhaps without the glitter of some but tight QC and very resonable prices. :cheers:

Not my experience, sorry.

DPMS uses very few MIL SPEC parts in their AR's. They make OK platforms for play guns, but they are not taken seriously by tactical and LE units. Critical operations like carrier key staking is often weak. Do they have chrome bores standard? .556 or .223 chambers? M&P bolts. No. No. No.

My personal experiences and those of friends are that DPMS makes an OK gun that strives to deliver, but rarely does.

After the last fiasco where they douldn't get 2 JP triggers to stop doubling on two different varmint guns we wrote them off the "good" list.

For quality second to none in AR's, look at Noveske, MSTN, LMT, Knights, and even lowly old Colt. Colt is STILL the preferred AR manufacturer for LE duty because their stuff just plain works and the parts used are MIL-SPEC where it count.

They make OK platforms for play guns, but they are not taken seriously by tactical and LE units.

But thousands of competitive shooters take them fairly seriously. As do many other's who don't want to pay a bundle for the same/similar product with a different name on it.

Do they have chrome bores standard? .556 or .223 chambers? M&P bolts. No. No. No.

Chrome bores standard? Not everybody needs them, but you can buy one from them if you want. Kudos to DPMS for offering a cheaper barrel. 5.56 or .223 chambers? Have you not looked at any of their offerings? They have both, and much more options than any other AR manufacturer. I'd say they offer the most versatility in the market, by far.

Sorry to argue about it - I tried to bite my tongue after your first post.

Yeah, someone takes them seriously. They were well represented at Ft. Benning. I didn't see any unhappy folks complaining about the quality or workmanship there. Did anyone else go into the DPMS display truck? That was awesome by itself.

That certainly has NOT been my experience with my several ARs from DPMS. . :huh:

DPMS puts out a very nice AR - and other components. Perhaps without the glitter of some but tight QC and very reasonable prices. :cheers:

DPMS uses very few MIL SPEC parts in their AR's. They make OK platforms for play guns, but they are not taken seriously by tactical and LE units. Critical operations like carrier key staking is often weak. Do they have chrome bores standard? .556 or .223 chambers? M&P bolts. No. No. No.

My personal experiences and those of friends are that DPMS makes an OK gun that strives to deliver, but rarely does.

After the last fiasco where they douldn't get 2 JP triggers to stop doubling on two different varmint guns we wrote them off the "good" list.

For quality second to none in AR's, look at Noveske, MSTN, LMT, Knights, and even lowly old Colt. Colt is STILL the preferred AR manufacturer for LE duty because their stuff just plain works and the parts used are MIL-SPEC where it count.

Anthony... I bow to your obviously superior knowledge... I must admit my opinion is limited to the few hundred I have built on DPMS base guns or DPMS components. All I can testify to is my own experience and reports from another several hundred shooters who I have met or shot with that use DPMS.

DPMS puts out a very nice AR - and other components. Perhaps without the glitter of some but tight QC and very reasonable prices. :cheers:

Anthony... I bow to your obviously superior knowledge... I must admit my opinion is limited to the few hundred I have built on DPMS base guns or DPMS components. All I can testify to is my own experience and reports from another several hundred shooters who I have met or shot with that use DPMS.

Merlin, not superior knowledge, just my experience. I have NEVER built an AR. I never plan to! I like to buy ones that run off the rack!

Ask DPMS how many .MIL contracts they have.

Do they pin the gas block?

I have just had a sour experience with them overall from a product and service perspective.

This might be ovious to everyone but just in case, DPMS stands for Defense Procurement Management Services if I am not mistaken. We talked with Dustin at DPMS the day after the sale was finalized, and he said none of the structuring of the company is going to change. Randy is still going to be the man in charge. This is good because we will still see Randy supporting the shooting sports!

TG

I would suspect the adjustment of the JP triggers...before discarding the recievers as defective.

JMHO...Jim

Sorry everyone. I did not start the post to turn this into a bash DPMS fest. I started it so that those who did not know and who cared would be informed.

I have assembled a few AR's using DPMS parts and have been 100% happy with fit, finish & function. I think they make a nice product at a good price and support the non-LE market as good or better than any other AR platform mfg out there. I hope that they continue to do teh same and sinc eRandy is still running it I'm sure they will as I recall he is a 3-gun competitor as well.

Do they pin the gas block?

I bought a DPMS barrel once and the FSB was pinned. Does that count ?