Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shopping for a new range bag

Tokarev

I'm in the market for a new and bigger bag and one of the things I'm also interested in is water resistance. Seems most of the discussions here are about how big a particular bag is or how much weight it'll take before collapsing. So does anybody have any experience with rain?

When I went to the USPSA Nationals in Tulsa this last year, the ground and grass was wet, especially in the mornings and my old range bag soaked up a bunch of water from being placed on the ground and some of my stuff got rusty. Also, if anybody shot last year's Western States Single Stack, you'll understand why I'm interested in keeping my gear as dry as possible!

TIA!

I use a 5 gallon bucket a lot. Completely water-proof. Mine has a lid that is a seat (nice feature). I have a "bucket boss" on it for added pockets. Like this: http://www.plumbersurplus.com/ProductImage...735&Index=1

You can always tuck a garbage bag into your range bag somewhere...saving it for a rainy day. When it rains, open it up and put your range bag inside.

Tok,

As yes, the WSSSC Swim Club. I don't know of any water proof range bags but the Ford Edge worked nicely last January. What I do is keep a large (enough) trash bag in my gun bag and slip it inside if the rain comes. I would think that a Pelican case or some such thing would work for foul weather range gear. The Edge had a heater though :rolleyes:

Later,

Chuck

Edited by ChuckS

<_< What I have considered doing was to get some of the "Dry Bags" that you use for Canoing and camping trips =$50 ones with the sealed zip. get one the size that my regular bag , or the inner bag could sit down in it and close over my shooting bag. And still have room for a dry towel + gloves and extra hat . Those kind of bags have a solid seam bottom so you could sit the thing down in tub of water and it would float.

Any shooting bag with zips and a non slick outer is going to leak like a pair of sandals, in real rain.

The outer bag could double for other trips too for stuff you want to stay dry.

Thanks for the Idea <_< I thought I had every thing. ;)

You can always tuck a garbage bag into your range bag somewhere...open it up and put your range bag inside...

Are you saying that my current range bag belongs in the trash? :rolleyes:

Actually the simplest ideas are often the best! Thanks!

Tok,

As yes, the WSSSC Swim Club. I don't know of any water proof range bags but the Ford Edge worked nicely last January. What I do is keep a large (enough) trash bag in my gun bag and slip it inside if the rain comes. I would think that a Pelican case or some such thing would work for foul weather range gear. The Edge had a heater though :rolleyes:

Later,

Chuck

Point -Counter Point <_< keep away from (using) a Pelican type case (IN ) the rain. I try to keep every thing with "padding" out of the rain and wet. = it soaks up the water and holds it for over a week to dry out. A sponge type pad will hold water that you can not feel for over a week. =you have to push it up to a clean white towel to see how much water comes out.

We used to shoot Sporting clay matches Crazy in the rain = if you didn't put your gun in the rack muz down the action would fill with water. A padded bag takes =long time to dry and the = kind of padding in a Pelican takes even longer to dry.

Tok,

Later,

Chuck

Point -Counter Point <_< keep away from (using) a Pelican type case (IN ) the rain. I try to keep every thing with "padding" out of the rain and wet. = it soaks up the water and holds it for over a week to dry out. A sponge type pad will hold water that you can not feel for over a week. =you have to push it up to a clean white towel to see how much water comes out.

We used to shoot Sporting clay matches Crazy in the rain = if you didn't put your gun in the rack muz down the action would fill with water. A padded bag takes =long time to dry and the = kind of padding in a Pelican takes even longer to dry.

I thought Tok would be smart enough to not include the sponges! I have used those cases scuba diving. The covers seal nicely. Makes for a nice dry box on the boat... Still got to look at the Ford though: It also had satellite radio...

Edited by ChuckS

I'm with Flex. I keep three or four contractor grade heavy mil "cleanup" bags folded flat in the bottom of my range bag. I've got an extra golf towel on top of that and then I put all my normal stuff in. If the weather goes bad, I've got a bag for my range bag, a bag to use as a poncho, and a couple bags I can auction off to the squad's highest bidder who didn't think to bring their own. :D

The extra golf towel keeps the bags from getting torn/punctured while they're down there and a dry towel is always nice to have when you need the bags anyway.

It looks like there's an untapped market here.

Somebody needs to make a bag with sealed stitching and maybe a rubberized bottom. I wouldn't think these additions would increase overall costs too much and I'm sure we'd all appreciate the increased protection.

I'm with Flex. I keep three or four contractor grade heavy mil "cleanup" bags folded flat in the bottom of my range bag. I've got an extra golf towel on top of that and then I put all my normal stuff in. If the weather goes bad, I've got a bag for my range bag, a bag to use as a poncho, and a couple bags I can auction off to the squad's highest bidder who didn't think to bring their own. :D

I keep one trash bag in my range bag, but now I'll carry a few more.

Somebody needs to make a bag with sealed stitching and maybe a rubberized bottom. I wouldn't think these additions would increase overall costs too much and I'm sure we'd all appreciate the increased protection.

But the watertight zippers are terribly expensive :rolleyes:

But the watertight zippers are terribly expensive :rolleyes:

I'm not asking for a submersible bag! Just something that'll take a brief rainstorm or being set on dewy grass...

Hello: I thought of making some covers to cover the bag with. It will be based on the shower cap idea. You would put one on the bottom and then one over the top. That way the bottom would stay dry and the top could be removed to get at your stuff. It would have elastic so one size fits most range bags. I can hear the sewing machines warming up now. Thanks, Eric

I have used practically every type of bag for duck hunting and offshore

fishing. My latest bags used for duck hunting have been 100% reliable,

(dry), in rain, sleet and snow. Ok, it snows every once in a while in NC.

My blind bag is made by Avery and is slighly smaller than my range bag.

I can't remember if any of the bags are available in anything other than

camo or not. I do know that a variety of sizes are available. Other than

the materials used to construct the bags it appears that the secret is in the

storm flaps covering all zippers utilizing velcro.

i think i know what you need 2 saturdays ago i saw a fellow shooter with a new water proof, weather proof, leak proof, heat proof any proof you want to call it but not bullet proof :blink: in a mosey oak camo design with off road wheels it looks like the picture on the link :rolleyes: he uses the top zipper to put and clean the used mags for easy access.

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/y...84_1977_4361171

I have a Galco waterproof skeet & trap bag that could easily be adapted for pistols, dont know if they make it anymore but why bother.

Go with a 5 gallon bucket or trash bag.

I keep a trash bag in my range bag and a bucket with lid in the back of my truck (never know when you will need a seat).

I agree with Tokarev. I know the trash bag works but why not have a nice range bag that is goretex with a storm flap and a hard rubber bottom? That way you don't have to worry about bringing or packing a trashbag.