Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Are these videos worth buying?

PistolPete

I've been shooting USPSA for 3 or 4 years now and am a B class shooter in Open and Limited. I've taken 2 seasons off for the most part in the 3 or 4 years to explore other things. However, I'm now limiting my hobbies to Shooting and Snowmobiling. That being said I need to get at least my A card this year. That being said I've changed my approach to practice and am now taking my shooting seriously. I've been dryfiring every day which I never did before and I'm trying to shoot as much as possible. All that being said I was thinking of buying the following videos:

http://www.speedshooter.com/product_detail.cfm?ID=DADVD3GM

http://www.speedshooter.com/product_detail.cfm?ID=DADVDMCL1

http://www.speedshooter.com/product_detail.cfm?ID=DADVDMCL2

I have all of Matt Burketts videos and they helped me tremendously. I've also read Brians book, Matts, and Sauls books. Do any of these videos have good tips or are they mostly just for new shooters? I'm thinking that even if I learn one MINOR thing from even just one of the videos then I'm ahead of the game. I guess I'm looking for feedback on these videos if you've seen them.

Thanks in advance,

Pete

That being said I need to get at least my A card this year.

Maybe that's not how you meant to say it, but that worries me. Are you going to quit if you don't get your A card or what?

I have the first Saul K. DVD you listed and think it's pretty good stuff...solid fundamentals. I do plan on checking out the other two you list over the winter if that says anything. R,

They just deal with basics.

Put yourself on video and see what you are doing, not what you think you are doing. Study your game as you play it and understand it. Then make changes bit by bit.

This takes active work. As a B shooter you have the basics, now you need to refine the basics for yourself.

Maybe that's not how you meant to say it, but that worries me. Are you going to quit if you don't get your A card or what?

I'm not going to quit if I don't get my A card. I didn't intend it to sound that way. What I'm saying is I'm going to train hard this year and take my shooting seriously for the first time and put in a ton of effort in hopes of earning my A card or better. I love guns and love shooting and now it's time to formulate a game plan to excel in this sport.

I'm not going to quit if I don't get my A card. I didn't intend it to sound that way. What I'm saying is I'm going to train hard this year and take my shooting seriously for the first time and put in a ton of effort in hopes of earning my A card or better. I love guns and love shooting and now it's time to formulate a game plan to excel in this sport.

Watch & read all you can.....

But when it gets right down to it. you have to SHOOT!

Understand when you take time off for personal reasons, you have to do what you have to do.

But the bottom line is trigger match time & major matches equals improvement.

You need to study the better & worse shooter to see what to do & what NOT to do!

I've watched you shoot, Your welcome in my squad anytime

JH

Watch & read all you can.....

But when it gets right down to it. you have to SHOOT!

Understand when you take time off for personal reasons, you have to do what you have to do.

But the bottom line is trigger match time & major matches equals improvement.

You need to study the better & worse shooter to see what to do & what NOT to do!

I've watched you shoot, Your welcome in my squad anytime

JH

I always enjoy shooting with you as you always give me great advice. Esp. on buying the bullet feeder and the 1050... HAHA Seriously though I'm taking things seriously and am putting an entire program together with training etc. I am currently dryfiring 1/2 hour to 1 hour EVERY DAY and am trying to put 500-1000 rounds down range every week. Starting tomorrow I will be video taping most of my sessions and reviewing them to discover errors and strengths and weaknesses. You will see me at the matches in 2008...

Great...figured it was something along those lines, but it was hard to tell. With that approach I'm sure you'll get your A card!

Vids are fine...I like 3GM and watch Shreds vids when I jog...

The books are better. Brian's, Saul Kirsch's Thinking Practical Shooting, Lanny Basham's With Winning In Mind, and Steve Anderson's two dryfire tomes. Practice, be it dryfire daily in your garage, or weekly at your range, will provide you with the tools that you need to move up.

Taking video of yourself when you shoot is another tremendous tool at your disposal. I shot a match today...won my division, but saw a multitude of things that could have been done better.

Guess what I'm going to work on starting tomorrow morning before work? ;)

I have all those DvDs from Saul ...

- 3 GM is great: a lot of fun to watch and a lot of good inputs to catch;

- master class 1 & 2 are a little bit boring, but still useful to learn good technique

The fact is that they are two different things: difficult to say that the firse in better from the other two !

If you can effort the expence... buy all of them !

I ended up buying the 3gm video as well as the 1st Saul video. I'll watch the Saul video first and if it is good then I'll order the other 2. I think you get more out of a book a lot of times because you have to think more about it while you read.

I think you get more out of a book a lot of times because you have to think more about it while you read.

Pete,

There's hope for you yet!

John's right, more matches are better. Good practice is essential. I'm with John on you being welcome in the squad, since I usually shoot with him. Just be ready for the verbal abuse! :D

I think you get more out of a book a lot of times because you have to think more about it while you read.

Pete,

John's right, more matches are better. Good practice is essential. I'm with John on you being welcome in the squad, since I usually shoot with him. Just be ready for the verbal abuse! :D

I can handle verbal abuse, after all I work in sales!!!! HAHA I'm open minded to any and all advice.

Pete, I won't put to much stock in the classifiers and making A class. You'll end up pushing to hard in the beginning trying to force the classifer. Work on shooting smoothly. You have the skill, you just need to get back into the flow, which will take live fire. You are welcome in my squad anytime also.... we don't harrass shooters or try to get into their head as the are preparing to shoot ;)

If you have Matt or Steve tape you during the match, they will point out all your errors while you are shooting with colorful commentary, they are very helpful :)

Edited by Supermoto

You are welcome in my squad anytime also.... we don't harrass shooters or try to get into their head as the are preparing to shoot ;)

Mike, you're no fun! :D

The wink smiley face was suppose to show sarcasm, which never translates well over the internet. There is a good amount of "encouragement" in our squad.

But I do enjoy shooting with you and John, Its good to shoot with people that have been shooting this game since before I was born. :) :) Just Kidding :cheers:

Edited by Supermoto

You are welcome in my squad anytime also.... we don't harrass shooters or try to get into their head as the are preparing to shoot ;)

Mike, you're no fun! :D

The wink smiley face was suppose to show sarcasm, which never translates well over the internet. There is a good amount of "encouragement" in our squad.

But I do enjoy shooting with you and John, Its good to shoot with people that have been shooting this game since before I was born. :) :) Just Kidding :cheers:

Dan Hurley jokes with me about using cap and ball when I started playing the game! 3 gun used a Hawkin rifle :P

Pete,

I like to think of it as constructive criticism

We only mess with people who are getting better than us! :angry:

( It's really a compliment to be harassed) :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

The videos are great and I have learned allot from them - One thing - we have 6 USPSA matches near us in San Antonio and 2 Steel challenge matches every month - if you shoot all of them consistently you obviously get better - the more matches you shoot with shooters that are above your skill level the faster you will improve - IMHO.

Edited by KGentry

The videos are great and I have learned allot from them - One thing - we have 6 USPSA matches near us in San Antonio and 2 Steel challenge matches every month - if you shoot all of them consistently you obviously get better - the more matches you shoot with shooters that are above your skill level the faster you will improve - IMHO.

I have not seen these videos but I do have all the Matt Burkett videos and have the book from Brian Enos. I really like the burner series tapes from the following site.

They are expensive but worth it because they cover every aspect of shooting.

http://www.jerrybarnhart.com/

Edited by 45gunner

I just ordered the Open/L10 dvd combo with tactics from Double Apha, the dvd's with Saul and Angus. I will let you know how i like them. I have a few of the Burkett dvd's, How to Practice, and How to shoot faster. Both worth the money, and you pick up more things when you watch it again. You can also use it for reference and go to certain chapters if you are having problems; (draw, transitions, movement,..etc.)

It's like having Matt Burkett locked in your basement...."heh Matt, got a question for you."....(LOL JK)