Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 and caliber changes

I am thinking very hard about buying a 1050. I would like to hear some opinions on just how big a pain in the butt it is to change calibers on the 1050.

Since I hate to reload my plan would be to load a years worth of ammo in a caliber, then change and load the next caliber, etc.

Let me know your thoughts, thanks.

I am thinking very hard about buying a 1050. I would like to hear some opinions on just how big a pain in the butt it is to change calibers on the 1050.

Since I hate to reload my plan would be to load a years worth of ammo in a caliber, then change and load the next caliber, etc.

I use the 1050 for both 9mm Major (Open) and .45 ( L10) and do pretty much what you have described. DO buy a seperate Toolhead so you can leave your dies setup. The actual changeover is consequently pretty painless.

At the risk of seeming obvious though, I'd be CERTAIN that you have proven your loads before embarking on a "year's-supply" run.

Umm........ :rolleyes: ...if you are mechanically inclined, and have no problem with your other presses, then you should be ok. The reason I say that is because there will be a learning curve, figuring out what does what, what it sounds like when it is working correctly, etc.....you get the hint. Once you get it set up it will be awesome, but you have to learn what everything does and be able to trouble shoot when it gets gunked up or something like that.

I would go for it and never look back.

I have gotten away with only one toolhead, but picked up one from a friend to just set up .223, so I can go either way with it. My small primer unit I load primarily 9x19 or .40 on it, so I use the same shellplate. I use Dillon dies except for the Lee FCD, so all I have to do is change the resizer, pop out the insert for the seating plug, and the crimp die. That is it.

Have fun, and religiously check your ammo with the caliper, case gauge, etc until you get it how you want it in the 1st 100 rounds.....then load away.

Regards,

DougC

If you get one 1050, you'll probably get another. ;)

In the meantime, the caliber conversion (without changing the priming system) takes me about 20 minutes max. I usually try to clean and re-lube as I do it so that adds another 10 minutes or so.

Craig,

Definitely plan ahead for xtra 1050 Toolheads/Quick-change Toolheads:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=56964

And the new year's prices for 223 1050's:

Steel Dies: $1,539.95

Carbide Dies: $1,649.95

be

Thanx B, just trying to justify a new reloader over a leaky roof. If it would just quit snowing the decision would be so easy :D

i use an rl 1050 for both 9mm and 40sw all i have to do is change the dies, drop,locator buttons and that thing that pushes the brass to the plate.. total time of change less than 5 minutes...once i close in on my new home ill buy another 1050 for 45acp, i think its the best press out there :cheers:

i use an rl 1050 for both 9mm and 40sw all i have to do is change the dies, drop,locator buttons and that thing that pushes the brass to the plate.. total time of change less than 5 minutes...once i close in on my new home ill buy another 1050 for 45acp, i think its the best press out there :cheers:

Just incase you haven't done it, double nut the dies, locking them together, so that you don't have to spend time readjusting them.

What have I been missing here? Both DougCarden and oqiebb mentioned loading the .40 S&W with a number 5 (9mm and .38 Super) shellplate. Also, I noticed that Brian mentioned it in his post in the thread on the 1050 - Caliber Conversion chart? (http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=56411).

I bought a .40 S&W caliber conversion kit, although I already had a 9mm/.38 Super conversion kit. After reading this thread, I went to the reloading room and checked – the .40 S&W cases definitely do fit in the 9mm shellplate, although I didn’t try to load any .40s or 10mm with the 9mm shellplate – yet.

Why are two different shellplates offered?

Are there any other combinations of calibers and shellplates that you folks know of that aren’t common knowledge? I load a lot of different cartridges, but most of them are not on the 1050. Any information that will assist in moving my other (Hornady ProJector) operations to the 1050 would be appreciated.

Jim M.

Here is what I would do in a perfect world:

1) Have 2 1050's, one for small and one for large primers

2) Get separate toolheads with dies, powder system etc totally kitted out

Shellplate and toolhead switch-over should be no m ore than 10 minutes!!!

edited to add: Merlin is a showoff and well....

Edited by zhunter

• 2 weeks later...

Buy two, you will not be sorry! (my buddy LOPEZ, has Three!) @%$#^! :angry:

I have two & thinking about more , (I hate to reload too!)

1050 :bow:

I do not do them that often but I do not find the changing of calibers that tedious or difficult. Yes, they do take more time than the 550 but not if you take into account the time saved reloading.

I use the "W" shellpate for both 40 & 9x19. I have not had any troubles.

With all this talk on 1050's my wife said she'll buy me one as an anniversary gift/birthday gift and Christmas gift.

Got my order in before the price increase :)

Hope you got yours Craig :D

Also ordered extra toolhead and conversion today since Dillon was giving a 5% off deal from when I shot at Area 2 :D

I have a total of three toolheads for my 1050 and figure on using my 550B for everything else. All my high volume calibers are loaded on the 1050....9mm, 38 Special, and 45 ACP. I might break down and get a conversion kit for .223 Rem and just swap the dies out on one of the 1050 toolheads later, but for now I think the 550B will do. I'm always looking for another cheap 1050 though!!!