Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Finally graduated...!

SiG Lady

It's been a busy three months but we all finally graduated from the cop-shop citizens academy last Thursday night. We also received officially-imprinted t-shirts, a really decent lapel pin, an honorary Eugene Police Patch and this strangely official-looking certificate. Oh, and lots of cake. The cake was nice.

I was originally designated as the valedictorian, but inasmuch as we had an unsually wide range of ages in this particular class group (unusual for these classes, I heard), I suggested we let whoever wanted to speak before the group do so. Three of us ended up speaking. But I prepared a speech containing some statements of gratitude and three serious-toned limericks (anyone here remember the forum limericks??), and the cops will be putting this document in the Citizens Police Academy history book. I'll scan the patch, the shirt and the pin a little later for posting here.

My Corrections Academy classes end next week at the Jail. It's been a busy three months.........

post-1852-1196543385.jpg

It's been a busy three months but we all finally graduated from the cop-shop citizens academy last Thursday night. We also received officially-imprinted t-shirts, a really decent lapel pin, an honorary Eugene Police Patch and this strangely official-looking certificate. Oh, and lots of cake. The cake was nice.

I was originally designated as the valedictorian, but inasmuch as we had an unsually wide range of ages in this particular class group (unusual for these classes, I heard), I suggested we let whoever wanted to speak before the group do so. Three of us ended up speaking. But I prepared a speech containing some statements of gratitude and three serious-toned limericks (anyone here remember the forum limericks??), and the cops will be putting this document in the Citizens Police Academy history book. I'll scan the patch, the shirt and the pin a little later for posting here.

My Corrections Academy classes end next week at the Jail. It's been a busy three months.........

Very cool acheivement...proud of you.... :rolleyes::cheers:

Sheesh, I won't know quite what to do with myself when this two-nights-a-week obligation is over with...!

I'm not sure the conclusion of the Corrections Academy will be quite so ceremonial in its conclusion, though our last meeting is a specially-scheduled field trip to a place that actually serves good food (the Forest Work Camp alternative inmate program location--seriously). I just hope to hell the weather will behave. We're really in-for-it here for a few days... rain... and more rain.

And look out, America... the storm that's roaring into our Pacific Northwest will end up on YOUR front porch in about three days or so. They're talking about 50-80mph winds out on the Coast starting tonight. :unsure::surprise:

There once was a cop from Eugene

A lean,mean LEO machine

That in itself was no biggy,

Her friends all new her as Siggy,

But the certificate said her name was Charlene.

Ok, so I am impressed with your poetic talent. Good job! :)

Congrats SigLady on your accomplishment. Not sure I understand the program though...do you get paid or is this a volunteer thing?

LadyinBlue,

The Citizens Police Academy is a no-cost, 60-65 hour class/field time educational program (over nearly three months) presented by the Eugene Police Department (other communities do this, too). Only 20 people can be accepted at a time and we had 50 applicants this season (it's held each fall). The gist of the course is to give a very comprehensive overview of what our local police department actually DOES, and presenters are various members of the force at all levels of rank. The local P.D. considers this program extremely exclusive, for some reason. Well, mainly because most of us that applied have an abiding interest in supporting law enforcement either thru intense volunteer work or actually endeavoring to join the police force and go thru all the stages of testing and training--which is pretty intensive. Graduates of the course also tend to spread-the-word about what the P.D. actually does... given that most of the general public hasn't a freakin' clue what it's really all about--hence all the complaining by the public about what they THINK the cops are up to. Mostly these folks have a tough job to do and very few people 'out there' comprehend it.

Graduates are by no means people in any official capacity. Just terribly informed. I already volunteer for the Sheriff's Office (5 years) as their quarterly newsletter editor and their Jail Librarian... so I'm already involved in law enforcement support. I also just graduated from the Sheriff's Citizens Corrections Academy (a similar program, though shorter) which focuses more on the Corrections aspect of law enforcement and classes are held at the County Jail facility. The Corrections Academy is also no-cost to participants and is only about three years old. The Eugene P.D. academy program, on the other hand, is 21 years old.

Both academies (especially done simultaneously as I did them) were highly informative and very helpful to the volunteer work that I do. They also look extremely good on the resume and indicate (if you have no other proof of it) that you've been background checked, if a prospective employer is interested in that. I just landed a little part-time gig in a law office last week and during the initial interview, I noted that the academy notations on the employer's copy of my resume were highlighted in yellow. Something about that made sense to them, you see.

Congrats on the new pt gig.

The Police need all the help and understanding they can get. I've always said I wouldn't take their job if it paid three times what it does. Extremely dangerous since you don't always know who the bad guy is, people at both ends of the problem complain about you, lots of politics, nasty people to deal with and little appreciation. Oh yeah, and the pay sucks!