Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

releasing the magazine

scribble

I am wondering what everyone does to get to the mag release button. I can not reach the standard mag release button to drop the magazine without adjusting my grip on the gun. Is this bad or is this normal??? Should I look into a longer or dropped back button to allow me to make the reload drop without changing my grip?

depending on the gun, a right side mag release (Mitchell mag release) or an ambidextrous one (S&A unit). No grip shifting when i'm going for a mag change. I just use my trigger finger instead of my thumb. For S_I and 1911's only of course.

Many shooters shift their grip on the reload. If you are shooting in a division that allows you to change parts...and a part swap will make it so you don't have to change your grip...then look into that. But, don't sweat it if you have to shift your grip.

<_< Max M. shifts the gun in his hand to reach the mag button. I don't think he gives much up.

I did the strange thing and gave up all the add on tricks and went with his advice. <_< =TY18956 <_< I think it worked B)

The main thing is get you left hand to the new mag sooner, ....After the button is hit the right hand shifts back into positing before the new mag reached the mag well. I have to practice more to satisfy my Coach,...But I have been doing OK

I still don't like watching other guys mags drop out when they are shooting. That used to happen to me with the mag ..."extinction". :blink:

Edited by AlamoShooter

STI make a nice paddle type release button as does EGW. If the release is just barely out of reach, these will help.

If you do try one of these, you'll probably want to get a stronger mag release spring as it will be easier to activate it with your weak hand palm.

Here's a link to my pro sx with the egw:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...mp;#entry593549

• 3 weeks later...
STI make a nice paddle type release button as does EGW. If the release is just barely out of reach, these will help.

If you do try one of these, you'll probably want to get a stronger mag release spring as it will be easier to activate it with your weak hand palm.

Here's a link to my pro sx with the egw:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...mp;#entry593549

+1 Sir.

Hi, am a senior IPSC open shooter. With my small hands can't help but make grip shift each time I had to change mag. Installed an EGW extended as in pic below but had to angle it a bit up coz mag falls most times my left palm crushed the grip. Also inserted a small bearing ball at end of mag release spring (inside mag release housing) to really harden it up. It's ok now.

A split second grip shift does not count much, I believe. Also, traversing from port to port gives you enough time to change mag.

My simple toy:

P1030262.jpg

I have a question about this. I have a fairly small hand and shoot a G21 so I definitely can not reach the mag release with my right hand thumb. Instead of shifting my grip I use the thumb on my left hand quickly before I grab a fresh mag. I find I can do this quickly and it allows me to get back on target faster because my grip never changes. I know this is not a common occurance but is it ok?

I'm not a fan of using the left hand thumb, that hand needs to be grabbing the new mag.

I am a "grip switcher" because I don't want a mag button that will hit me with an unplanned "speed UN-load".

I used to think it was a big disadvantage, then............. I just practiced. :rolleyes: Now I'm happy with the speed, and I don't have any gadets to foul up. I hit a .82 load in class a week or so ago doing a VP drill. That's fast enough for me. :cheers:

I'm not a fan of using the left hand thumb, that hand needs to be grabbing the new mag.

I am a "grip switcher" because I don't want a mag button that will hit me with an unplanned "speed UN-load".

I used to think it was a big disadvantage, then............. I just practiced. :rolleyes: Now I'm happy with the speed, and I don't have any gadets to foul up. I hit a .82 load in class a week or so ago doing a VP drill. That's fast enough for me. :cheers:

Well that is wort of what I am wondering. I can do it faster right now with my left hand thumb, but should I just be doing it the other way (even though it is slower now) and practicing more?

Changing your grip on the gun for reloads is pretty common. I'd bet that most people have to shift their grip at least a little bit. If you're running a division that lets you make mods to the gun, you can trim down the grip area so it's easier to get your thumb on the release. If you decide to go with an extended release and/or an oversized button/paddle there are two things you need to check. First, put a mag in the gun and then simulate a normal table start. Then push down on the gun to see if that will activate the release....this happens a lot....you're adrenaline is going, the timer goes off, you slam your hand down on the gun and out pops the mag. If it does you might be able to shorten/trim it a bit so you don't have to worry about the dreaded "bang, clang, click" when the mag flies out after the first shot. The other thing is to make sure your support hand doesn't sometimes activate the release...a stronger spring can help with that, as can the exact type of paddle or button.

Personally I've got slightly oversized buttons on my guns, but nothing more....they don't activate on table starts and my support hand never hits them. I still have to shift my grip a little to get at them, but it really isn't a big deal if you practice reloads at least once in a while. R,

Edited by G-ManBart

I have small hands and shoot an XD (chubby grip) in Production. CAN'T put any modifications on the mag release button.

I've tried 3 mag release techniques, practiced & timed all three:

- using the strong hand (right) index finger

- using the left/weak hand thumb

- shifting grip & using the right/strong hand thumb.

#3 is consistently the fastest & most efficient, even after several weeks of practice with both #1 and #2. I've found that the left hand seats the mag, then helps re-seat the right hand grip on the way up. Several thousand reload drills later, it's getting smoother ....

Only hitch I've found is that my hand sticks to the Tru-Grip more in cold weather or in downpours, making the right hand 'flip' a little more difficult.

Some folks can drop the mag with the SH middle finger reaching across the front strap. Slick if you can do it. Human anatomy and the set up of most guns don't allow much pressure on the release, so a light spring in the catch helps. Works for me in my Paras and Glocks.

I can do it faster right now with my left hand thumb, but should I just be doing it the other way (even though it is slower now) and practicing more?

I would. Better to learn a new, "more correct" technique sooner than later.

I end up pressing the gun into my thumb with the fingers on my right hand, so the grip switch is really just moving fingers along the front strap to the right, push towards the thumb, then re-grip.

Give it a shot. :cheers:

I can do it faster right now with my left hand thumb, but should I just be doing it the other way (even though it is slower now) and practicing more?

I would. Better to learn a new, "more correct" technique sooner than later.

I end up pressing the gun into my thumb with the fingers on my right hand, so the grip switch is really just moving fingers along the front strap to the right, push towards the thumb, then re-grip.

Give it a shot. :cheers:

Thanks a lot! Worked on it a bit last night and it is definitely slower right now but you are right. I might as well learn the right way to do it now rather than have to do it later.

I had trouble with this too until I found an extended magazine release made by THE Products (for Glock). My problem now is that I sometimes hit it inadvertantly while shooting causing me to drop the magazine. In order to avoid this I now have to pay more attention to my grip and I have had to modify my grip a bit also.

Check out the pics in this thread:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...c=34126&hl=

With the Single Stack gun, yeah I have to flip the gun.

Same with the Beretta. I have been thinking about turning the MRB around on the Beretta and hitting it with my strong hand middle finger. Index finger well clear of the trigger area.

yoshidaex wrote:

depending on the gun, a right side mag release (Mitchell mag release) or an ambidextrous one (S&A unit). No grip shifting when i'm going for a mag change. I just use my trigger finger instead of my thumb. For S_I and 1911's only of course.

You mean to tell me that somebody makes an MRB that I can switch to the right side of a 1911?

I did not know that.

Does that require machining the frame at all?

(Please, tell me it's just a drop in part.)

Hmm....

I too have been unsatisfied with the gun shift I'm required to make with my smaller hands. I've been practicing both strong hand thumb and weak hand thumb mag engagments and my times at least at my current skill level are equal. I am really liking the confidence I have in my grip using my left thumb when engaging the mag release. Using my right thumb I am very aware of the fumbling I am doing to reobtain that solid confident high grip I like. Not having to shift my right hand grip allows me to focus on my left hand and focus on my magwell. Doing this feels smoother and I see my rear sights sooner because the gun is not sliding around. I have learned the value of not having to change your gun grip in talking to the better shooters at our club who fortunatly have large hands and do not have to shift their gun grip. Watching them shoot you see their guns remain mounted just waiting for the mag to arrive. I know I'm bucking the majority opinion here but it works for me. I'll continue to practice both over the beginning of this upcoming shooting season and see what will work in real match situations.

You mean to tell me that somebody makes an MRB that I can switch to the right side of a 1911?

I did not know that.

Does that require machining the frame at all?

(Please, tell me it's just a drop in part.)

Hmm....

As Jimmy Mitchell mentioned, "Its not for everyone but it might be for you." ;)