Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Pumpgun?

benelli2

Never had much time to figure this one out so give a slow southern boy some help. What is the best pump shotgun and why for shooting tactical type stuff? This iron mam class might catch on. Smile Kyle :wacko:

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can't go wrong with an 870 or a Mossberg 590. I hear the Winchester 1300 is pretty smooth, though, and you can get it from the factory with an extended tube too.

But really, shouldn't everyone have at least one Rem 870 in their house? ;)

I'll put my vote in for the Mossberg. It tested well enough to get military contracts, and I find it easier to reload than the 870 due to the unobstructed loading port. I also like the position of the safety (tang). I'll admit to a sentimental bias as this was my first shotgun (age 12).

I'll agree with the 870 although the Nova has a much smoother action. I really disagree with the mossberg, they have an action rougher than the 870 and I've frequently seen them break if shot a lot. I have a thousand rounds or so through my Benelli without a hitch and our 870's at work are ancient and still going even though they get shot every month with 00 buck and slugs.

I'm not big on tang safeties, they have a tendency to be activated during hard fast shooting when the trigger hand starts to ride up.

ok, how about extended mag tubes for the nova? anyone got a clue if a super 90 will go on there? Or is there no way to get it on, I'm not familiar with how the barrel and mag tube attach on a nova. <_<

If you want a proven performer go for the Remington 870.

The military ordered a bunch of Mossbergs because they were cheap, and guess what they got, just what they paid for...

The tang safety's work sometimes and when they quit you need a screwdriver to fix them.

Remington has ambi safety, actually you can switch it back and forth, plenty of extras out there to add on, very reliable.

And I don't think there is another good pump that is also made in the USA.

Of course I could be wrong...

KyleL

The only time I've ever shot a Mossburg was with heavy buckshot loads. (The owner had bought a case of shells in a vain attempt to "break" the gun in and smooth out the action.) He and his buddy got very sore and started to pass the gun up and down the firing line. The particular gun was so poorly made, that the action actually seemed to "weld" itself shut. (This didn't happen with light loads.) It took a tremendous yank to rack the action - after which shoving the pump back forward was equally entertaining.

For action/defensive shooting, I think the 870 is surely king. For birds and clays, take a look at the Browning BPS. It's ambidextrious, throws the shells at your feet, and has a tang safety - which is a very practical feature for hunting.

I will just guess that the Mossbergs I have experience with are different, they work fine.

I like the 590.

Winchester and Remington are fine too.

I heard mention that mossbergs break often, please elaborate, I need to know. Between my

son and I we have 4.

As for smoothness of action, they really smooth out after 1000 rounds or so.

Travis F.

If I ever shot Ironman I would probably just use my Benelli M3S90. Don't know if it is better than my 870's or not? It is actually an interesting SG to shoot. Since you are compressing the action spring when you are pumping to the rear it gives you a "assist" when closing the action. It is definatly lighter than an 870 so it does recoil a bit more when shooting but it still shoots good.

I suppose for the Benelli guys they would like to still have the extra round on the carrier with a pump.

I have remained silent as long as I can...

Remington vs. Mossberg vs. Benelli??? In a discussion of the best pumpgun (for tactical use)? Is there really any question of the best pumpgun (for any use)? Winchester M12!!!

m12001.jpg

Of course you will need to find a gunsmith to build the custom mount for the Optima (Open Division of course)...

m12002.jpg

and the 10 round magazine tube, anyone can add the Cutts Compensator...

m12004.jpg

Of course, a pretty walnut stock and a 1950's style rubber recoil pad add to the overall style...

m12005.jpg

Cheers,

Kelly,

Not sure I would agree with it being the best, but the most fun? Oh yeah! It shoots well, too! Come to think of it, I don't think I ever saw it jam.

The Cutts Comp is even cooler in person.

Liota

I have remained silent as long as I can...

Remington vs. Mossberg vs. Benelli??? In a discussion of the best pumpgun (for tactical use)? Is there really any question of the best pumpgun (for any use)? Winchester M12!!!

That's a sweet looking gun!

It makes me wonder about doing something similar to a Model 1897! <_<

The M97 has the limitation of the 5-round tube, but it will accept a 17" bayonet...how DO you score bayonet holes?

No points for slashing targets, but you do get the 10 point bonus for the coolness. Having a stock that's nailed, glued, or duct-taped back together is good for another 5 points.

• 1 year later...

Jeff...open up the ejection port a little on the 870 like an 1897 ...... D. Beal just got a 16ga for Cowboy Action...can pull 4 at a time from loops to single load over the top.....If you guys going with the HeMan pump guns have never seen a world class cowboy action shooter single load you will be impressed.... regards

Benelli Dos.

870 or Benelli Nova. I know the 870 has been around quite a while, and I also know that when I used to gunsmith full time I fixed more than my fair share, usually due to owner abuse.

The Nova is a new system and as of yet I don't know about the reliability, but it seems OK. I know the Germans have played quit a bit with them and have done some really cool stuff to them, like lengthening the action bars in the fore grip so it feel like it only moves about 2" for full cycle. They have also figured out the mag extention, it is different than the M1 S 90s. The one I played with in Itally impressed the heck out of me! for ease of loading it is WAY better than the 870, and it can be ported out and polished just the way youi have done you M1. I would do a search on IRONHANDS and get hold of some of the German guys and they probably can get you some cool info. I also bet that RockinHtacticle could make an extention for the Nova in short order! KURTM